Prospect Info: The 2022 Entry NHL Draft Thread

Besides Wright and Lambert, which player intrigues you the most?

• Total voters

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
There's no way he's Tavares/Stamkos level.

He's not even as hyped as Hall was.

It doesn't mean much but the hype at mid-season around Wright is Patrick/Ekblad/Hughes level.
Prior to this season he was very hyped? Especially after his 15 year old season that was better than McDavids. This year it’s clearly died down but at a point he was up there.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Hughes will have a final say on being in that group (those that haven't watched him this year are missing out...).

Wright is going to be a top 15 center in the NHL and he's going to be a damn good player for a ~15 years. He's a very good prospect, but he's a step back from the top end #1s of the Matthews/MacK level... and certainly down from McDavid.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Top end of this draft just doesn't seem to have that flashy player. Or maybe our first pick is late in the third round and I'm just not as invested in prospects as I usually am.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Top end of this draft just doesn't seem to have that flashy player. Or maybe our first pick is late in the third round and I'm just not as invested in prospects as I usually am.

Hasn't Cooley been cranking it up as of late? He could be that flashy 1OA if he ends up beating out Wright. Sakic and the scouting team should just take the year off, with Sakic trading all of the 2022 picks to boost the team this year.

Reactions: Chiarelli

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
In case someone missed it; NHL CSS midterm rankings: 2022 NHL Draft: Wright tops Central Scouting's midterm rankings

The last ten-ish or so picks for the first round are still a work in progress with a ton of Euro players being thrown in there and not really distinguishing themselves over others (this is a pretty deep draft from main-land Europe). However, the top fifteen for this draft is lit.

If I was going to give a quick top ten for me I got...

1. Shane Wright, C
2. David Jiricek, D
3. Logan Cooley, C
4. Matthew Savoie, C
5. Simon Nemec, D
6. Joakim Kemell, RW
7. Juraj Slafkovsky, LW
8. Brad Lambert, C/RW
9. Conor Geekie, C
10. Ivan Miroshnickenko, LW

A lot of good centres for this draft while - as of now - it is weak on defensive side, however, Jiricek and Nemec are as good as any defender drafted in the last two drafts. This list then doesn't taken in the possibility of Yurov, Nazar, Snuggerud, McGroarty, Howard, del bel Belluz, or Mesar (big fan of) either. Plus you got some really underappreciated players like Lekkerimaki or Hughes who should go in the mid-tier of the first round as well. Adding those to the top ten, that's quite the top twenty!

Hasn't Cooley been cranking it up as of late? He could be that flashy 1OA if he ends up beating out Wright. Sakic and the scouting team should just take the year off, with Sakic trading all of the 2022 picks to boost the team this year.
Cooley is quite similar to Beniers, they play the same type of way and both for me are close in talent level as well. Cooley is smaller in frame, but is a way better skater and probably has a bit more offensive flair than Matty. Beniers is the better two-way player and can handle the corners better.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Slightly off-topic but has there been any discussion or worries that we're gonna see weaker prospects for several years due to all the missed development time at all ages over the last few years?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Slightly off-topic but has there been any discussion or worries that we're gonna see weaker prospects for several years due to all the missed development time at all ages over the last few years?
I think it depends on the individual at hand. Prospects who were underdeveloped, especially physically, these lockdowns have probably been a Godsent as they can spend much more time in the gym or getting stronger at home. The players who need to learn from mistakes and gain experience through game action such as defenders hurt a lot more than it helps. There are many pros and cons, but I know when people's hysteria over Covid was starting to dissipate, rinks allowed people to privately rent rinks and I am pretty sure you had a ton of top prospects globally practising on their game and working on mistakes. If that theory holds true, we should see more complete players than ones with a big weakness or two in their game, which could be seen especially among goalers.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
My Avalanche picks from My Cozen's mock:

3/95 Marek Hejduk, RW, USA NTDP (USHL)
5/159 Brennan Ali, C, Avon Old Farms (HS-CT)
5/160 Pavel Kamko, LHD, Cherepovets (MHL)
6/191 Alexander Smolin, G, Magnitogorsk, (MHL)
7/223 David Hejduk, RHD, Wenatchee (BCHL)

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009

Are both the Hejduk's Milan's kids?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Are both the Hejduk's Milan's kids?
I was method acting. All the Nova Scotians and Mooseheads got picked before I could get to them so I went for sons of former Avs and a Notre Dame recruit (Ali). Had to improvise with the other two guys and pick players I actually liked, although it wouldn't surprise me to see the Avalanche stay out of Europe with the pandemic and the Ukrainian crisis.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Does Hasbro mean nepotism in Czech? :sarcasm:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Marek is worth a selection, but he's more of a 5th-7th round guy IMO. David isn't a legit prospect. I don't think the Avs should select either... don't need excess pressure on the kids.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah I agree with Hench, based on what I've seen with the Hejduks' kids, Marek has the best chance of the NHL and even then he's more along the lines of Stienburg or Kovalenko type of selection. Really gritty and plays majority of the game along the boards and has solid two-way skills as well, but not a lot of offence or skill there. Definitely not a useless player, but if a team picks him in the top half of the draft that's because they have a very optimistic outlook on his development and players never really ever reach the top thresholds of their talent.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Wow that sucks

Hodgkin is the same cancer as Mario Lemieux so there's hope I guess (although everyone is different)

I wonder if that makes him fall in the draft? That he might miss all of next season and that he's Russian. If Mailloux can be drafted in the 1st round after what happened, I guess a team is willing to take a chance on him. Sounds like something out of Yzerman's playbook.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I wonder if that makes him fall in the draft? That he might miss all of next season and that he's Russian. If Mailloux can be drafted in the 1st round after what happened, I guess a team is willing to take a chance on him. Sounds like something out of Yzerman's playbook.

Is comparing a kid with cancer to a dipshit who took and distributed video of a girl (whom I believe was underage) without her consent really necessary?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad