Value of: The 2020 1st Overall, Should the Penguins win the Pick

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Especially given Montreal has some young talent up front and most of Pittsburgh's superstars are 33+. You guys know what it's like for guys 30+ to start working out again after a long layoff? It hurts a lot more than when you are 22-23 and takes more time to stop hurting.
Hmm idk their players are always injured especially the stars so they should be used to long layoffs to be honest

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Regardless of which team wins the draft lottery, that team will choose to take Lafreniere. No exceptions for particular (oddly specific) teams or GMs. He's going to be great right out of the gate.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
columbus wasnt a .500 team though, they earned their way in.
the habs needed the NHL to decide 24 teams would make it (convenient with two massive markets in Chicago and Montreal at 23 and 24)

pens in 3. no doubt

Colombus wasn’t a .500 team I agree...but They faced TB who just had the best season in the last decade...something that is not the case for Pittsburgh.

Habs may be weaker than Columbus but so are the Pens compared to TB.

I still maintain my point, I still think Pens win it (maybe in 3!) but the ‘no doubt’ Or ‘no chance’ comments are insanity IMO especially considering Habs are much younger & could really be able to pick up the pace faster than Pens.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
if pit gets Lafreniere i'm quitting...... lol

Don't worry. Lafreniere is not an elite center. After Lemieux, Crosby, Malkin, it would tarnish the Penguin's ridiculous history of megastars.

i think they get Shane Wright next season (or whoever is a franchise center). Maybe they pick Laf as a Jagr memento?

Reactions: STLBLUES44

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
This poll would be better if they got 2nd or 3rd overall.

Lafreniere can help them now. Byfield and company likely won't have the same impact on a team like the Pens right away. At that point, maybe they consider moving the pick for immediate cup runs.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd listen to offers if I was Rutherford and I somehow got that pick. It's not like top 6 LW is an area that urgently needs upgrading on the Pens - it's maybe our strongest area after C - and I'm skeptical that Lafreniere is going to be enough to keep the Pens relevant post-Crosby unless we luck out on Cs.

I'd probably take the pick as it'd either have to be a crazy offer, or a very specific and unlikely offer (i.e. 1 for 1 talent comparison only getting a different position), but I'd listen.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Actually Montreal beat Tampa already this season
So??????? My point still stands. For comparison, last year Columbus had a record of 47-31-4. This year the Habs had a record of 31-31-9. One was a good team, the other was not. I will let you figure out which is which.

Last edited:

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
So??????? My point still stands. For comparison, last year Columbus had a record of 47-31-4. This year the Habs had a record of 31-31-9. One was a good team, the other was not. I will let you figure out which is which.
Any team can win....It’s possible for Montreal to win the cup. Is it likely? Probably not but very possible

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
The best way to keep the window open is an impact player on an elc. Trading the pick is the wrong move. Especially with Laf being exactly what Pitts needs.

Reactions: topshelf15

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Lafreniere on his ELC would be worth more to Pittsburgh than anything that any other team could give them.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Sorry, but you keep the pick. As Sid and Geno start to decline and the Pens start slipping into "pretender" territory they will start to get higher 1st rnd picks and can begin adding solid players for the post Crosby/Malkin era however it's very difficult to find truly impactful players with picks around #10 oa.

It's pretty hard to find truly ELITE level talent outside of the top 5 in most years and even top 3 picks in many years don't become elite. Laf has a very very good chance of becoming an elite level player and on a level that the Pens likely won't get a chance at for another 10 years.

You make the pick, no matter what (unless maybe the Sens offer up ALL their picks this years for the #1 AND they ended up getting #2 & #3).

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
If this RIDICULOUS scenario were to happen I'd be more than happy to lose to Montreal if it guarantees Lafreniere goes to Pittsburgh. Post Sid and Geno future would be secure. Count me in! :laugh:

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Hows a top end guy who can probably play NHL minutes now or soon at the least on an ELC not worth it? Unless you find team that has a bunch of kids that are really good on ELC they wouldn't get anything worthwhile to fit under the cap crunch.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
NHL going to rig the draft so some team from 8-15 gets the 3rd pick for drama during the play in round. I'll be shocked if a team from 8-15 wins the draft lottery and gets Lafrieniere.

If any team from 8-15 gets Lafrieniere, it will be a shit show!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad