The 2018 Panthers off-season thread-Petrovic is back

Status
Not open for further replies.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Pysyk wasn't good last year.. he was an average bottom pairing guy that got severely exposed when his minutes went up.. brought nothing of value last year. No offense, no physicality... unfortunately the team was a joke last year so he looked better than he was.. but it was pretty evident what he was

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
You develop those guys, otherwise it's too expensive to pay that type of guys on the UFA market.
I don't believe Tallon will do much this offseason. He'll say that the second half of the season was very good once Boo's system was in place and that he expect the teams to continue like that next season. A lineup like this wouldn't surprise me (although McGinn will hopefully be swapped). Swapping Borg for Mack is the big upgrade of the offseason imo. It's not what I'd prefer, but that's what I expect.
Dado-Barkov-Bjug
McGinn-Trocheck-Malgin
Huberdeau-Borg-Vatrano
Mamin-McCann-Sceviour
because the Panthers have done such a great job developing top 6 forwards over the last 20+ years. you will never win just waiting/hoping for prospects to develop. You have to supplement your prospects with established players.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
because the Panthers have done such a great job developing top 6 forwards over the last 20+ years. you will never win just waiting/hoping for prospects to develop. You have to supplement your prospects with established players.
You'll never win if you can't develop top 6 players. It's not because you overpay a guy like Lucic or Ladd to play on your third line that you'll suddenly be able to develop your prospect and win.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Not really.. we have developed our core top6 into legit players. That should shelter the young guys enough. We're not asking anyone to step in and carry a top 6 line or the offense anymore. A good offseason and borg is a high end enough prospect that being the 3rd line c isn't too much of an ask..

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Even though we have 3-4 legit needs, even if we got ONE, that would be great.

Getting Kovy would change the equation by itself.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Our biggest need is a top4 d to play with matheson.. I think tallon knows this as he was hard after mcd.. if we land a decent one that can play 20 mins and calm things down I think we're a lock for playoffs.. I'll be pretty pissed if Mac and Haley r regulars next year tho

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
I personally don't think goaltending should be an issue if they give Reimer around 35 starts. I don't trust it to be elite but good enough. We do need better defense though.

Not even. 50/32 in favor of Luongo (61%/39% for you percentage people).

Give Reimer the weaker of back-to-backs, break up a string of Luongo starts by tossing Reimer to a weak opponent, and the Jets, so that he can get pummeled twice a year by his hometown team. That should add up to about 30 games.

Preferably, just trade him as he is a replacement level back-up getting paid way more than a replacement level back-up.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Our biggest need is a top4 d to play with matheson.. I think tallon knows this as he was hard after mcd.. if we land a decent one that can play 20 mins and calm things down I think we're a lock for playoffs.. I'll be pretty pissed if Mac and Haley r regulars next year tho

I got two words for ya....Big Buff!

Trouba will become #1, they have Myers for at least one more year/could re-sign, we could offer them 2019 1st + pick/prospect + Pysyk as a stop gap until Green or one of their other RD prospects are ready.
We'd probably have a top 3-5 offense from defense again next year with him added.
Has 3 years left @$7.6 mil and we would have to decide on him or Yandle to expose in 3 years time if we went 7-3-1 which looks likely.
Tallon knows him well also. WPG getting bounced/upset early this year would help convincing him.

If not, I'd kick tires on Justin Braun from SJS. Tanev would be nice but injuries are a concern.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Not really.. we have developed our core top6 into legit players. That should shelter the young guys enough. We're not asking anyone to step in and carry a top 6 line or the offense anymore. A good offseason and borg is a high end enough prospect that being the 3rd line c isn't too much of an ask..
you are right, we don't need someone to step in and carry a top 6 line. but you still need legit top 6 guys to bring balance to the roster. The clock is ticking on this core. Do you really want to go into another season hoping that young player X will fill that need in the top 6 instead of going out and trading for someone who you know will fill that role

Reactions: Breaking Dadonov

Breaking Dadonov

Jan 25, 2018
you are right, we don't need someone to step in and carry a top 6 line. but you still need legit top 6 guys to bring balance to the roster. The clock is ticking on this core. Do you really want to go into another season hoping that young player X will fill that need in the top 6 instead of going out and trading for someone who you know will fill that role
Hell no. Sick of relying on young guys to step up. That's a cheap way of doing business. Adding one or two legit forwards to the top 9 will go a long way towards balancing out our roster and making sure our top guys don't run out of steam from being overworked like they have the last two years. If we go with the approach of relying on young guys to step up and crossing our fingers that they reach their potential, we'll be in the exact same spot next season.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Hell no. Sick of relying on young guys to step up. That's a cheap way of doing business. Adding one or two legit forwards to the top 9 will go a long way towards balancing out our roster and making sure our top guys don't run out of steam from being overworked like they have the last two years. If we go with the approach of relying on young guys to step up and crossing our fingers that they reach their potential, we'll be in the exact same spot next season.
I tend to agree with you. The young guns take too long into the season to learn. A couple of pre-seasons are not enough.

If this was a regular business, we need to hire one or two mid-career people. High level mid-careers, not college hires.

One F, one D would be great. They exist. Team has money. It would pay for itself in revenue and team value.

Reactions: Breaking Dadonov

Breaking Dadonov

Jan 25, 2018
I tend to agree with you. The young guns take too long into the season to learn. A couple of pre-seasons are not enough.

If this was a regular business, we need to hire one or two mid-career people. High level mid-careers, not college hires.

One F, one D would be great. They exist. Team has money. It would pay for itself in revenue and team value.
I don't know why it's so hard for management to get. This team is not far off from being good, but you need vets to help lead the young guys. Sorry, Mack doesn't cut it and Yandle can only do so much. Adding more young guys will only make things more difficult for guys like Barkov and Trocheck, who will have to step up in leadership when they should just focus on their games. Tippet and Borg both do not look ready to me and would benefit immensely from time in the AHL. Why rush them if they don't look ready? Bring in some vets for them to compete with. Worst case it makes them work harder for those top 9 spots as opposed to just being given these spots which has been the organization modus operandi for it's entire existence.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I got two words for ya....Big Buff!

Trouba will become #1, they have Myers for at least one more year/could re-sign, we could offer them 2019 1st + pick/prospect + Pysyk as a stop gap until Green or one of their other RD prospects are ready.
We'd probably have a top 3-5 offense from defense again next year with him added.
Has 3 years left @$7.6 mil and we would have to decide on him or Yandle to expose in 3 years time if we went 7-3-1 which looks likely.
Tallon knows him well also. WPG getting bounced/upset early this year would help convincing him.

If not, I'd kick tires on Justin Braun from SJS. Tanev would be nice but injuries are a concern.

He cannot be exposed. Has to be protected.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
^This is not a destination for UFA's that are in their prime or younger unless you want to pay a million more per than anyone else. Plus the UFA market for wingers stinks. You may be able to pay Kovalchuk $6-7M per for 3 years and he would "maybe" show up. No one is going to trade a viable top 6 guy to us unless we give them something substantial going back and we don't have anyone. I certainly don't see Huby returning a top 6 scoring winger and Bjesus would be a win if we could unload his contract for free. So in summing it up, both guys will be here next year and no change will occur unless we overpay.

DeHaan is a UFA and had shoulder surgery in December. At 26 he will likely command $5M++ for 6 years. Not a problem if we move Pysyk/Petro and bring up Josh Brown to play the 3rd pair. :)

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Even though we have 3-4 legit needs, even if we got ONE, that would be great.

Getting Kovy would change the equation by itself.

firefly_mal-is-speechless.gif

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com
I'm not really expecting it but he's one of my faves, he's put up better numbers than Dads in the KHL, even this year. Are you disappointed with Dadonov? I'm certain he'd score at least 25 here.

I hear you but the guy is going to be 35 in about a week or so. Signing him for something like 3 years sounds pretty dangerous to me and I’m sure that’s the kind of term he would want to come back.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I hear you but the guy is going to be 35 in about a week or so. Signing him for something like 3 years sounds pretty dangerous to me and I’m sure that’s the kind of term he would want to come back.
I don't think there will be any team that offers him 3 years. I honestly think there's a decent chance he lands here. NYR and Florida have long been rumored landing spots. I am sure NYR is preferable but who knows if they want him. I also know he used to have a house in Miami and he still has a summer home on Fisher Island.

We know Tallon is looking for a wing, doesn't mind Russians, and has tons of cap. I'll say like 30% chance. I think it's fair to say Florida will make an offer.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
he left the NHL for money and family. If he's coming back at this stage it's for neither of those reasons.....so officially eliminates us, therefore not even sure what's the point of bringing him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad