Prospect Info: The 2018 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Future Considerations released their top100 also: https://futureconsiderations.ca/top-rankings-2018/

Looked deeper into the draft a guy I wouldn't mind taking a shot at in the 3rd round is Adam Ginning

Having a pretty meh season overall, and has been disappointing relative to expectations. Thought he was a late 1st round candidate at the start of the year but his game hasn't taken off after his strong Ivan Hlinka tournament. Still, a 6'3, 200 lbs two-way defender who plays physical could be worth taking a shot at. I think he is quite similar to Gabriel Carlsson who got drafted 30th overall in 2015, and Ginning has played a lot more games in SHL than he did at the same age while producing a bit better in juniors. Think he is a great candidate to take a huge step forward next year. He is looking dominant against his own age group but has struggled against older players. Just needs some time and experience to develop I think.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Which is exactly why the Oilers won't pick him.

Wouldn't surprise me if Oilers traded down for Serron Noel or something.

Not overthinking 1st round picks has been one of the few things this team has done right lately, thank goodness.

And don't hate on my boy, Serron. ;)

I wouldn't mind grabbing him if he ends up going in the 2nd round. Has all the tools to be a huge complimentary top9 RWer, IMO.

It'd be a cool story too since his dad and Nurse's dad played together in the CFL.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Not overthinking 1st round picks has been one of the few things this team has done right lately, thank goodness.

And don't hate on my boy, Serron. ;)

I wouldn't mind grabbing him if he ends up going in the 2nd round. Has all the tools to be a huge complimentary top9 RWer, IMO.

It'd be a cool story too since his dad and Nurse's dad played together in the CFL.

I'm not hating on him actually, I think he's good and has a lot of potential. Just wouldn't want to pass on a high-end talent like Boqvist, Smith, Wahlstrom or someone like that just to trade down for a winger because he happens to be 6'5 and right-handed. Not that I actually think it will happen though, it was mostly in jest.

But I can totally see them pass on Boqvist for someone else. Luckily there aren't really any coke machines available in the 1st round although I think they might target someone like Jared McIsaac who is also a RHD, but canadian and bigger than Boqvist. That would be an underwhelming pick IMO, unless we're somehow picking in the teens. Joe Veleno would be another underwhelming pick.

Although Oilers doesn't seem to draft a lot from the Q. They really like WHL and OHL it seems. I could actually see them targeting Ty Smith, considering he's a WHL guy and he's on the same team as Yamamoto.

They also like toolsy guys with average hockey IQ, so Jakub Lauko could be of interest too, but he's probably more of a 2nd round guy.

My best guess right now assuming the pick is in the 5-10 range would be Ty Smith or Evan Bouchard.

I would be thrilled with Smith, but Bouchard seems kinda meh from what I've read.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I wouldn't be overly happy with Bouchard with a top 10 pick, but I think he is one of the better fits for the Oilers.

I think he'll end up similar to a guy like Sekera, but with a big right-handed shot.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I wouldn't be overly happy with Bouchard with a top 10 pick, but I think he is one of the better fits for the Oilers.

I think he'll end up similar to a guy like Sekera, but with a big right-handed shot.

To be fair, a right-handed Sekera with a big shot is a pretty damn good defenseman. The actual Sekera (when healthy) can do everything pretty well, except shoot.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
To be fair, a right-handed Sekera with a big shot is a pretty damn good defenseman. The actual Sekera (when healthy) can do everything pretty well, except shoot.

Agreed 100%.

Definitely a solid piece to have. I just wouldn't call him a sexy high upside pick.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I asked Kournianos about the Oilers picking Boqvist vs. Ty Smith and he originally said Smith by a hair. He really likes Smith.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
If we are picking in the 5-8 range my targets in order would be:
1.Boqvist (prob a pipe dream)
2. Ty Smith
3. Wahlstrom

Id say try to stay away from Tkachuck, and hope for Boqvist, Hughes or Zadina falls to us.

Reactions: MinimaMoralia

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
What's the word on Ty Smith?

I know nothing about him, so it seems a little odd that a 5'10'' 170lb defenseman under a point-per-game on a fairly high scoring team is rated so highly.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
What's the word on Ty Smith?

I know nothing about him, so it seems a little odd that a 5'10'' 170lb defenseman under a point-per-game on a fairly high scoring team is rated so highly.

Terrific skater, really poised, great puck-mover. And I mean, he's the 3rd leading scorer on the Chiefs and the leading scorer on D by quite a large margin. Feels like a pretty safe bet to be a top4 d, with top-pairing potential.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I asked Kournianos about the Oilers picking Boqvist vs. Ty Smith and he originally said Smith by a hair. He really likes Smith.

He also has Svechnikov as #1 over Dahlin. I wouldn't put much stock into what Steve says. Boqvist has way higher upside than Smith and simply has tools that Smith doesn't (his shot and hands mainly)

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
I don't care how small Boqvist is, we need to draft this kid. The game has changed, speed and skill has become a significant requirement from the modern defenseman. A defence combination of Boqvist/Nurse could have the making of a special pairing.
Chia has immensely downgraded on talent and it has caught up to us with how the game has evolved recently. He or whoever is in charge in the time of the draft needs to use the opportunity to restore some of that lost talent. Zadina or Boqvist are the two I would be most ecstatic about, that is if we don't win the Dahlin sweepstakes.

Reactions: Laineux

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
I asked this in another thread, but what do you think Oilers should and would do were they to win the lottery?

I can't imagine them trading Dahlin away. He's said to be better than Karlsson. Do they trade away another defenceman for a winger?

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
I asked this in another thread, but what do you think Oilers should and would do were they to win the lottery?

I can't imagine them trading Dahlin away. He's said to be better than Karlsson. Do they trade away another defenceman for a winger?
Fire Chiarelli, hire a GM that can win big trades and trade Klefbom for Nylander/Marner. Thats what they should do, don't know what they will do.

Last edited:

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I'm hyped on Dobson. I've been paying attention to him, he's on the rise gradually on some radars.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Fire Chiarelli, hire a GM that can win big trades and trade Klefbom for Nylander/Marner. Thats what they should do, don't know what they will do.

I don't think that Marner or either Nylander is the type winger the Oilers need. All of them have single digit goal totals this year.

Depends on what the cap does. The only D they can trade right now are Klefbom, Nurse, Benning and Larsson. Nurse seems like The Goods and Benning has way less value than the others. That leaves the Swedes. Given the handedness situation, Klefbom seems like the better trade chip.

As for the return, wing is obviously an issue right now but good D always have value. Moving LD for RD might be what they need if the winger market is tough.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I really like Quinton Hughes game. If the two dmen from overseas are better then him Id be alright with any of them.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

I don't think a guy like Sekera is a good fit. They need a dynamic skating puckmover, not a solid 2 way guy. I don't know anything about Bouchard but if he's like Sekera stylistically, I'd pass.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If the Oilers tank a crucial year for a right handed Sekera, I would be disappointed. I want an elite prospect that can help turn this franchise around and also attract more UFAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad