GDT: The 2016 NHL Entry Draft | Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
He's not going to do anything so don't get your hopes up.
:shakehead Man, some of you guys. Adrenaline junkies, the Oil have probably been one of the busiest trading teams for the last few years. We need Chia to make smart moves that will complement our young skilled core.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
A brutal second day in my books. No D acquired and outside of Benson, Cairns and maybe Rasanen this is was a classic MacT sort of draft. It felt like watching 2014 or 2011 all over again. Day 2 last year was at least a focused effort. This was all over the place, no rhyme or reason to where players were taken.

What chaps even more is seeing DeBrincat go to Chicago. They have one of the best noses for talent and if they thought he was a player we- with McDavid probably in Chiarelli's ear all season- had no reason to select even Benson over him. I don't mind the kid, but the injuries and coaching changes are a concern. These are valuable development years and one of the two scored 100 goals in the last couple seasons and the other had 23. I'll let you guess which is which.

Gross day. D+, A+ yesterday though which makes it overall a C or so. But our reputation as a team who cannot draft in the later rounds continues and with good reason.

We need a D so ****ing bad I will agree with that, but trading RNH for Dumba is worse then doing nothing for example. I like the draft a lot, Obviously Puljujarvi was a godsend, can't wait to watch him and McDavid for the next ten years. I think Benson was a steal to I'm very high on him and could see him making some serious noise next year in junior if healthy. Niemelainen was a very solid value pick where they picked him, personally would have taken a more OFD but he was a strong pick. Think the Berglund, Rasanen and Cairns picks are all interesting picks. Wells is a crap shoot but no more then any goalie you pick in that range. Only picks I didn't like much at all are Mcphee and Desharnais and that is too be expected with 9 picks.

insider

Nov 14, 2003
Nobody took Kuznetsov and I'm not surprised. He was pretty poor this season. Terrible team, so he got a ton of opportunities and just.. didn't look interested in taking them anywhere.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I have more confidence in Somppi becoming an everyday NHL player than I do almost everyone we selected Rounds 2 through 7. Just a disappointing day for someone who thought the drafting here had turned a corner.

But that means you think you're smarter than 30 teams of people scouting and managing hockey players for multi million dollar professional sports franchises.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I wouldn't hate seeing Kuznetsov invited to camp.

Anyone else think our team is in prime position to make an offer sheet?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
That's an interesting nugget.

Fire Igor, kid. He's not doing you any favors.

Sadly Yak seems like a loyal to a fault type of person. He will keep having Larionov running wild trying to micromanage his career and annoying the heck out of Chia and McLellan.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I wouldn't hate seeing Kuznetsov invited to camp.

Anyone else think our team is in prime position to make an offer sheet?

we don't have a 2nd and we don't want to offer sheet 10 million....so we'd be offer sheeting 3.7-5.6 million costing a 1st and 3rd in compensation.

I think most teams would match that range.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
So who does everyone have as the best players not picked? A few names who stick out for me are Vladimir Kuznetsov, Zach Sawchenko and Brinson Pasichnuk.

I'd give an invite to Jacob Neveu. Played for Rouyn-Noranda. Buried on the bottom pairing because the team was filled with 19 and 20 yr olds on defense for the playoff run. Top pick in the QMJHL draft. Played in the U-17.

My early guess is that he will be one of the top overagers next year since he'll have an appropriate amount of ice time to showcase his skills to scouts.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
But that means you think you're smarter than 30 teams of people scouting and managing hockey players for multi million dollar professional sports franchises.

After seeing the folks who thought they were smarter than everyone else take Liam Coughlin a couple of years ago? Yeah, I'll take my chances in siding with the Lightning.

And who can forget Keven Bouchard? You want a historical comparison for Wells, there it is- each 27 GP in their draft year, each sub 0.890 save percentages. Bouchard was actually the better prospect when you consider his win-loss record. Wells not so much.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So who does everyone have as the best players not picked? A few names who stick out for me are Vladimir Kuznetsov, Zach Sawchenko and Brinson Pasichnuk.

Going off of Centrals' North American Skaters list:

Pius Suter (40)
Simon Stransky (48)
Vladimir Kuznetsov (55)
Ben Gleason (58)
Brayden Burke (63)
Griffin Luce (70)

and Euros:

Otto Makinen (10)

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I'm really surprised Sawchenko and Burke didn't get taken. Would like to see both invited to camp.

I loved our draft though. Not going to act like I know anything about the players picked after Niemelainen, but I like what I hear. Watched some clips of the other Finn at the U-18's.. seems to be a very smart player that battles. Helps that he's friends with Pulju too. The first three picks were fantastic IMO.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
After seeing the folks who thought they were smarter than everyone else take Liam Coughlin a couple of years ago? Yeah, I'll take my chances in siding with the Lightning.

And who can forget Keven Bouchard? You want a historical comparison for Wells, there it is- each 27 GP in their draft year, each sub 0.890 save percentages. Bouchard was actually the better prospect when you consider his win-loss record. Wells not so much.

yeah i know but 30 teams passed on somppi for 6 rounds.....i doubt benson, berglund, or niemelainen that much.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'm really surprised Sawchenko and Burke didn't get taken. Would like to see both invited to camp.

I loved our draft though. Not going to act like I know anything about the players picked after Niemelainen, but I like what I hear. Watched some clips of the other Finn at the U-18's.. seems to be a very smart player that battles. Helps that he's friends with Pulju too. The first three picks were fantastic IMO.

Sawchenko would be an interesting add.

Late birthday, so you could throw him into the ECHL after one more year of junior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad