Prospect Info: The 2013 NHL Entry Draft: Part II | [Avs Currently In: 29th overall]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Avs aren't going to trade Barrie because at some point in the future Jones and Elliott might be top four defenders.

Should Avs be in a position where they have such a wealth of riches on defense that one will be expendable eventually, things will work themselves out.

Exactly. There's still no guarantee that Elliott or Siemens will ever be good enough to play a Top 4 role for us. Barrie is already there IMO.

It would be a mistake to move him now without knowing what we have in Elliott and Siemens. For now we should keep all of them, and if they all do develop the way we hope, then we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Say Jones plays LHD, long term the Avs will look like:

Jones – Johnson
Siemens – Elliott

Barrie 3rd paring dman? Probably Making 2-3 mill? I don’t think so.

RH dman are a rare comodity in the NHL. Avs can get alot from trading Barrie to address other needs. Plus Hejda, O’Brien, Wilson, Zanon, Hunwick aren’t all going to just go away.

how do you figure Barrie will be the #3 pairing guy?
if anything he's surefire #2 pairing. he's got nice potential as a PMD and should log some heavy PP time.
there is no point in moving him or any of the young guys right now.
Zanon is horrible and should be healthy scratch or gone from the club, Hunwick is a #7 D man, O'Brien is a guy you can trade away for a little bit of something, Wilson may or may not be here and he's had a issue with injuries as of late.

none of those guys, even Hejda as much as i like him. give us the ability to just move a young defenseman and especially not Barrie.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Why, please why do people want to trade Barrie and Elliott if we draft Jones??? It is one of the stupidest things I have read on board and it is a group of people who wants to.

I think we will take 2 of the last 4, IMO. One of the Blues and against Minnesota who will probably rest one or two star players.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Why, please why do people want to trade Barrie and Elliott if we draft Jones??? It is one of the stupidest things I have read on board and it is a group of people who wants to.

I think we will take 2 of the last 4, IMO. One of the Blues and against Minnesota who will probably rest one or two star players.

i can't understand it either. people act as if this is a scenario where we are so loaded on D that they're excess or something.
our D corps is the worst thing on our team and people act like jettisoning one of the talented youngsters helps fix that.

have they seen our "vets" play?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
There is no reason to trade Barrie or Elliott if we happen to get Jones. One of EJ, Jones, Barrie or Elliott can play the left side.

Odds are against us getting Jones unless we are willing to trade up. Anybody picking #1 will take Jones IMO. So if we finish 29th we have a 18.8% chance of getting Jones. Otherwise it will be Mac or Drouin.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm

Cause they could get something good back? We are not talking about dumping them here.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Cause they could get something good back? We are not talking about dumping them here.

But why trade them now? Why not let them all develop patiently and if they all become awesome then we worry about moving one for whatever piece is holding our team back from winning the cup.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
But why trade them now? Why not let them all develop patiently and if they all become awesome then we worry about moving one for whatever piece is holding our team back from winning the cup.

Don't know. I don't think anyone actively WANTS to trade them. Just saying they are pieces with a solid trade value we could move for something better needed.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I doubt Barrie and/or Elliott have a lot of trade value. Neither one has proven anything yet.

They're both young, cheap, and under team control for another 5 years. No need to trade them.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Don't know. I don't think anyone actively WANTS to trade them. Just saying they are pieces with a solid trade value we could move for something better needed.

I have a hard time seeing Elliott/Barrie having a higher value as trade pieces than as players for Avs. They have shown glimpses, but not enough for their trade value to take off.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
What would the value of Elliott or Barrie really be in a trade? I wouldn't say it is real high... Alone maybe a younger winger with some potential (Etem at the very highest for a desperate team). Maybe if we were picking 3rd you could move up a spot or two... big maybe.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Not yet, their value will rise tremendously when they've established themselves in the NHL a couple years down the line and that when we should be trading them unless one of them starts next season on a tear and we sell high like we did on Shatty.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Not yet, their value will rise tremendously when they've established themselves in the NHL a couple years down the line and that when we should be trading them unless one of them starts next season on a tear and we sell high like we did on Shatty.

I'm not one of those people that constantly complain about the EJ trade, but to be honest we sold low on Kirk. Trading one of Barrie or Elliott now (More so with Barrie) would be almost exactly like when we traded Kirk.

Barrie is about to put up a season that averages out to at or nearly a 40 point season. Elliott is just starting to show some consistency, so hes a bit behind Barrie.

So I agree with the general premise that we should wait another year or two before deciding if we need to trade one, but not so much with your statement about Kirk. Selling low on Kirk should be a lesson learned.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
There is a much larger chance that Avs pick a forward than Jones with their first round pick. I'm assuming that Avs have to win the lottery or trade up to get Jones and either is unlikely at this point. I guess we'll know better after the draft lottery.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
There is a much larger chance that Avs pick a forward than Jones with their first round pick. I'm assuming that Avs have to win the lottery or trade up to get Jones and either is unlikely at this point. I guess we'll know better after the draft lottery.

i think we have to get one of the top 2 picks.
i think at the end of the day the #1 overall selection goes down as a offensive player because they're easier to sell as a franchise changers.
now if the Avs get #1 the clear choice is Jones.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
i think we have to get one of the top 2 picks.
i think at the end of the day the #1 overall selection goes down as a offensive player because they're easier to sell as a franchise changers.
now if the Avs get #1 the clear choice is Jones.

Honestly if we're drafting #2 and Fla is still drafting #1 after the draft lottery is held. It wouldn't take a serious asset to flip spots with Florida, so if Avs management really wants Jones more than Mackinnon they'll probably make it happen.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm not one of those people that constantly complain about the EJ trade, but to be honest we sold low on Kirk. Trading one of Barrie or Elliott now (More so with Barrie) would be almost exactly like when we traded Kirk.

Barrie is about to put up a season that averages out to at or nearly a 40 point season. Elliott is just starting to show some consistency, so hes a bit behind Barrie.

So I agree with the general premise that we should wait another year or two before deciding if we need to trade one, but not so much with your statement about Kirk. Selling low on Kirk should be a lesson learned.

A streaky winger that the team had gotten sick of the off ice things with, a 2nd round pick and Shatty for a top pairing dman, a first round pick that ended up being the 11th pick and a quality 3rd/4th line shutdown C and PKer is great return for a rookie PMD who got pushed around a lot physically with us.

If we could make the same trade with Jones in place of Stewie and one Barriott in place of Shatty and get back another EJ, an excellent PKer we could dump Mitchell for, and a quality pick, I'd pull the trigger every time.

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Wouldn't be surprised if the Avs pick a lot of Defensemen in this draft to get some prospects in the pool. Seems like we are set on Goalies after previous drafts.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Honestly if we're drafting #2 and Fla is still drafting #1 after the draft lottery is held. It wouldn't take a serious asset to flip spots with Florida, so if Avs management really wants Jones more than Mackinnon they'll probably make it happen.

true, take a pick and maybe a prospect and move up or a player on the roster who isn't in the future of the team.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
A streaky winger that the team had gotten sick of the off ice things with, a 2nd round pick and Shatty for a top pairing dman, a first round pick that ended up being the 11th pick and a quality 3rd/4th line shutdown C and PKer is great return for a rookie PMD who got pushed around a lot physically with us.

If we could make the same trade with Jones in place of Stewie and one Barriott in place of Shatty and get back another EJ, an excellent PKer we could dump Mitchell for, and a quality pick, I'd pull the trigger every time.

I said I don't have a problem with the EJ trade, but we did sell low on Kirk. Now matter how you spin it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad