The 2011 Single-A Draft (roster, picks, discussion, everything)

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
.....incredible.

Check out post 210 for an updated Brent Peterson bio. This is a guy who is massively underrated and unfairly forgotten. I've never seen such high praise for such a low-key player in these scouting report books. He might be THE player of the A draft best suited to move up two full drafts! Based on the wording used to describe him, I don't know what makes him any worse than a handful of MLD 3rd/4th line centers. If Chris Kelly wasn't such a great even strength scorer I'd be swapping them to give Peterson more icetime because this guy is awesome.

I had no idea when I took him. I just saw his PK stats and that he was known as a defensive forward. I hit the jackpot here. It was luck.
That is high praise for a guy that was claimed on waivers twice (85 & 87), that Hartford released and who retired in 89 at the age of 31.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
That is high praise for a guy that was claimed on waivers twice (85 & 87), that Hartford released and who retired in 89 at the age of 31.

It is quite high praise! Thank you for “the other side of the coinâ€. Let me address that:

I can’t vouch for the second time he was on waivers, but the first time it was considered a “stealâ€. That does occasionally happen.

You know that being finished in 1989 at the age of 31 was pretty commonplace. In the 1988-90 seasons, there were 68 instances where players played at least 40 games and never played again. 41 of them were in a 5-year range of 28-32. Just 20 occupied the 11 ages of 21-27 and 32-35. (plus Salming who was 38)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
There were some very good off-the-board picks this draft. Some time before long I'm gonna sit down and make a list of them. Off the top of my head I was impressed by Amby Morgan, Horace Gaul, Steve Vair and Garry Howatt. There are others. Important role players, quality Europeans and early era greats are often uncovered in these depth drafts, signifying the value of such drafts to higher drafts in future years. The whole reason we began the depth drafts was to have fun profiling more and more guys who might be worthy, overlooked selections in higher drafts! Let's hope this tradition continues.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
It is quite high praise! Thank you for “the other side of the coinâ€. Let me address that:

I can’t vouch for the second time he was on waivers, but the first time it was considered a “stealâ€. That does occasionally happen.

You know that being finished in 1989 at the age of 31 was pretty commonplace. In the 1988-90 seasons, there were 68 instances where players played at least 40 games and never played again. 41 of them were in a 5-year range of 28-32. Just 20 occupied the 11 ages of 21-27 and 32-35. (plus Salming who was 38)
Being on waivers from a good team like Buffalo is no knock on him, but Vancouver was a terrible team.

It's not so much that he retired at 31, but that he was let go by a mediocre Hartford team.

He is a solid 4th line/PK role player, but don't let the praise go overboard. He's Kris Draper lite not Guy Carbonneau lite.

As for the 68 guys that "never played again", a good chunk of them went to Europe and played. Some like Loob, went by choice, and had plenty of career left.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Being on waivers from a good team like Buffalo is no knock on him, but Vancouver was a terrible team.

It's not so much that he retired at 31, but that he was let go by a mediocre Hartford team.

He is a solid 4th line/PK role player, but don't let the praise go overboard. He's Kris Draper lite not Guy Carbonneau lite.

As for the 68 guys that "never played again", a good chunk of them went to Europe and played. Some like Loob, went by choice, and had plenty of career left.

How many constitute a "good chunk"? I saw Loob and Gustafsson when I ran that report earlier. I can't imagine there were many more. Regardless, the list was disproportionately skewed towards 28-32 year olds even if you eliminate a small handful.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
How many constitute a "good chunk"? I saw Loob and Gustafsson when I ran that report earlier. I can't imagine there were many more. Regardless, the list was disproportionately skewed towards 28-32 year olds even if you eliminate a small handful.

14 of the first 20 names on this list played at least one season in Europe after 88-89.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&year_min=1989&year_max=1989&season_start=-1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&birth_country=&franch_id=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos=S&handed=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=games_played

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

playing in Switzerland and italy doesn't mean you're still an NHL-caliber player.

Even Anton Stastny saw time in the AHL in his last north american season.

among 28-32-year olds, I see Loob, Jonsson and Gustafsson who could have continued to play in the NHL. The rest were on their last legs at that age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad