The 1970s

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Inviting posters to educate me about the Rangers during the 1970s. Lost in the finals twice. Lost in the semi-finals three times. Began with Emile Francis and ended with Fred Shero, with a down period in between. GAG line. Brad Park. The legend Eddie Giacomin between the pipes.

Seems like there are parallels to the Rangers from 2006-2015 in terms of building up a winner but not being able to get over the hump. What do you remember?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
the early '70's Emile teams were as loved and unforgettable as '94
the top lines and pairs were mostly the same for years
GAG line, Tkachuck-Fairbairn- Balon/Vickers, Stemkowski between Irvine and Macgregor, Park-Rolfe, Seiling-Neilson
they were a top team for a number of years, a strong 2-way team

The Shero run in '79 was one of those unexpected runs; deep-ish up front with Espo, Ulf(until Potvin's clean but legendary hit), and Anders, also Tkachuk and Vickers, and young F's Hickey, Deblois, Murdoch and teenage callup Don Maloney, D was Gresch and Vadnais and a bunch of young guys, Dave Maloney, Marois, Farrish, McEwan

The Fergie as GM/Coach years, in between, were mediocre, and it took a few years to get used to Espo in Ranger blue

'75-'76, when Giacomin was waived and Ratelle\Park sent to Bruins, really marked the end of a great era for NYR

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Inviting posters to educate me about the Rangers during the 1970s. Lost in the finals twice. Lost in the semi-finals three times. Began with Emile Francis and ended with Fred Shero, with a down period in between. GAG line. Brad Park. The legend Eddie Giacomin between the pipes.

Seems like there are parallels to the Rangers from 2006-2015 in terms of building up a winner but not being able to get over the hump. What do you remember?

Larry Sloman's 'Thin ice: A season in hell with the New York Rangers' would be good educational material for the end of that decade. His 'Reefer Madness' isn't bad either but that's an entirely different subject.

1971-72---the Rangers could have won. Jean Ratelle neck in neck with Phil Esposito for the scoring lead until he broke his ankle with about 15 games to go. Luck can play it's part in wining it all and losing--though Ratelle up until that point was not a particularly productive playoff player. He returned for the finals vs. the Bruins but he was still pretty much an injured player and was ineffective. If he had been healthy the Rangers might have won (the series went 6 games) and if not it would have been 7 games.

Bobby Orr IMO was the best hockey player I've ever seen. Brad Park was a great player but he wasn't at Orr's level. Vic Hadfield had 50 goals that year and over 90 points. Both Ratelle and Gilbert went over 100.

Boston was the toughest team in the early 70's. Towards the mid-70's it was the Flyers. That became something very important to 70's era hockey. The Flyers took violence to a level that had never been seen before and it's a major reason for both their cup wins. The Rangers couldn't match that level but towards the end of the 70's many team had at least caught up with the Flyers. By the end of the 70's though the Rangers could definitely hold their own.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
GAG line, Tkachuck-Fairbairn- Balon/Vickers, Stemkowski between Irvine and Macgregor, Park-Rolfe, Seiling-Neilson

The Shero run in '79 was one of those unexpected runs; deep-ish up front with Espo, Ulf(until Potvin's clean but legendary hit), and Anders, also Tkachuk and Vickers, and young F's Hickey, Deblois, Murdoch and teenage callup Don Maloney, D was Gresch and Vadnais and a bunch of young guys, Dave Maloney, Marois, Farrish, McEwan

The Fergie as GM/Coach years, in between, were mediocre, and it took a few years to get used to Espo in Ranger blue

'75-'76, when Giacomin was waived and Ratelle\Park sent to Bruins, really marked the end of a great era for NYR

Between Balon and Vickers there was the Gene Carr experiment. That didn't work out all that well--Bill Chadwick openly and often derided Carr on television broadcasts with his 'Gene Carr couldn't put the puck in the ocean if he was standing on the end of the pier'. Kind of true but I think old fogie Chadwick didn't take to Carr and his long blonde hair.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
1979 was the most fun I ever had in a playoff run. What a colorful team.

Save JD!

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007

I have seen the Potvin hit on TV many times and would not call it clean especially coming from him. That killed the Rangers chance for a Cup that year.
The 79 team was very underrated but went up against a great Montreal team in the Finals.( I still love watching Billy Joel with long hair singing the National Anthem before Game 3 at MSG!)

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Well I can speak more of the early to mid 1970s than the later years. I was a season ticket holder in the old blue seats (section 432, row B, seat 9...alas long gone).

There are many parallels between the early 70s teams and the teams of the last few seasons and it is a comparison that I think about a lot.

We were an elite team in the early 70s, for a bunch of years one of the top teams in the league, just as we have been the last few years.

We just could not get over the hump to win the Cup, same as this team. 1972 was our year, but the injury to Ratelle killed us. Losing your #1 center, at the peak of his career and having a career year, was a hurdle we could not get over. I can still see, in my mind's eye, Dale Rolfe taking a slap shot from the left point and it hitting Ratelle's ankle in front of the net. The silence is the Garden was "deafening." Two years ago was "our year," we had the best team in hockey but were derailed by all the injuries, especially to our D. We could not overcome those injuries.

In the early 70s, we had a great HOF goalie....just as popular with the fans as HL is today.

We were a finesse team in that era and, for the most part, have been over the last few years.

Some differences: the "window" for that team lasted longer than the window has for this team (and I am one who believes our current window is closed). That team followed a classic development curve that lasted almost a decade: bad team builds with youth, become good and then elite, has its window, but then the core ages and the team falls back from elite to good, good to missing the playoffs. Those teams had 4 HOF players: Gilbert, Ratelle, Park, and Giacomin. Not sure how many,if any, aside from HL, will have similar careers. Aside from HOF players, we had so many other quite good players: Tkaczuk, Billy Fairbairn, Steve Vickers, Vic Hadfield, a tremendous 3rd line of Stemkowski, Irvine, and MacGregor. I don't know if that team was as good defensively (although it may be sacrilege, for me the heart of this team was the fact that we had 3 legit #1 D....McD, Girardi, Staal....I know and I agree, Girardi and Staal are significantly diminished). We had Park plus some other good D (Rod Seiling, very underrated, Jim Neilson, Dale Rolfe), but this team was better.

One other factor that made that era was special. Hockey was growing by leaps and bounds in NYC: an elite team, a new building, a thriving junior league, more radio and TV coverage, and the sense that hockey was the "coming sport." There was a real sense of excitement around NYC with the Rangers. As successful as the current team has been, I'm not quite sure that the atmosphere around it permeated out to the general public. Those 70s teams did. Going to MSG was exciting...there was always a buzz around going to a game.

In 1976 I moved to the far northern suburbs, to far to go to games and still get to work the next day. But I rarely missed a game on TV. When the Francis era team collapsed, the Rangers were able to rebuild fairly quickly with a young core: JD in goal, Don Murdock, Pat Hickey, Lucien Deblois, Mike McEwen, Dave Farrish, and others. 79 was absolutely fun. Beating the upcoming Islanders, winning the first game of the final in Montreal, being up 2-0 in game two before it all came crashing down. Fun team with Esposito, Carol Vadnais, Anders Hedberg, and others.

But here is my question that I address to younger fans (I was in my twenties during the Francis era). It is something I think about often. Even though the Francis era teams never won the Cup, and usually disappointed in the playoffs, I remember the era quite fondly. From others who were around during that time who I have talked to, most feel the same: a special era of Ranger hockey.

How will those of you who are younger remember the current era? We came close, didn't win, and now we have to retool, rebuild (whatever term you want to use). Will you remember this great run of the last few years fondly, as I do the Francis era, or as a frustrating, disappointing era? I've thoroughly enjoyed these last few years. My expectations for the coming season and years is lower, but these teams of the last few years? Among my favorite Ranger teams.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
But here is my question that I address to younger fans (I was in my twenties during the Francis era). It is something I think about often. Even though the Francis era teams never won the Cup, and usually disappointed in the playoffs, I remember the era quite fondly. From others who were around during that time who I have talked to, most feel the same: a special era of Ranger hockey.

How will those of you who are younger remember the current era? We came close, didn't win, and now we have to retool, rebuild (whatever term you want to use). Will you remember this great run of the last few years fondly, as I do the Francis era, or as a frustrating, disappointing era? I've thoroughly enjoyed these last few years. My expectations for the coming season and years is lower, but these teams of the last few years? Among my favorite Ranger teams.

I was eight in 1979 and remember that spring still today. Great early hockey memory for me. I recall listening to game 5 on the radio in my sisters room, if not mistaken it was an afternoon game. And then watching game 6 in my den with my mom and dad. They aren't with me anymore so it's a nice memory to have.

As for remembering this team...I think frustration is what I think of. The Kings series could have gone the other way with a break here or there. Then I allowed myself to get excited the following year, thinking they were going to win. All season long I kept saying, only Tampa scares me. If only Detroit had knocked them out early. Never liked the Red Wings, still don't even more after that.

Of all the teams of recent years, the two that stand out to me are the 11/12 team and before them, the 10/11 team. They were a fun team to root for and I liked their style of play. The 10/11 team had some memorable wins. The Staal short handed goal in Pittsburgh that tied it up late leading to the Dubi/Callahan two on zero winner. The late season comeback win over the Bruins, that was only soured by Callahan breaking his leg. The next season, they really shouldn't have lost to NJ, who I thought was an above average team. They wore worn out. The game that comes to mind with that team was the Richards late goal in game 5. Also the long game three in D.C.. Gaborik scoring just as that clown with the horn was honking. HONK HONK HONK...silence.

I was just making the switch from roller to ice hockey and I patterned my play after that team, specifically Dan Girardi. I was dropping down and sliding around blocking shots all over the place. Teammates where like, "I never saw a guy in beer league hockey block as many shots as you." To be fair, I was doing that since my deck hockey days, but those Ranger teams made it an art form.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I have seen the Potvin hit on TV many times and would not call it clean especially coming from him. That killed the Rangers chance for a Cup that year.
The 79 team was very underrated but went up against a great Montreal team in the Finals.( I still love watching Billy Joel with long hair singing the National Anthem before Game 3 at MSG!)

Do you have a link to a clear video of it. I recall all the versions I've seen of it (not in many years) being grainy. It was tough to call it dirty, but I never let that ruin a good urban legend! :)

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

Thanks for mentioning this. I'm a Billy Joel nut and just found the clip on YT :)

Great rendition, none of this "soulful" **** most singers pull nowadays. The anthem should be sung straight and Joel does it perfectly.

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
Do you have a link to a clear video of it. I recall all the versions I've seen of it (not in many years) being grainy. It was tough to call it dirty, but I never let that ruin a good urban legend! :)

I have probably seen the same videos you have. Just listening to the call on radio I still think it is a dirty hit!

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I have probably seen the same videos you have. Just listening to the call on radio I still think it is a dirty hit!

It felt dirty given Potvins rep and the intensity of the rivalry that season. Ulfie is a true class act. He says it was not dirty and that his skate got caught in a rut in the ice.

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
It felt dirty given Potvins rep and the intensity of the rivalry that season. Ulfie is a true class act. He says it was not dirty and that his skate got caught in a rut in the ice.

I was at the game - Ulfie did NOT get his skate caught in a rut. I had a birds'eye view of the hit, it was in the far corner. I don't care what Potvin says, it was a cheap shot.

Be that as it may, I seriously doubt the Rangers would have beaten Montreal for the cup under any circumstances. The trio of Savard, Robinson and Jacques LaPerierre were too good. Funny story - after that year, LaPerierre went to the LA Kings for the last year of his career. He hated playing in LA (thought it would be relaxing, but it wasn't). He said he went there because there were 800,000 Canadiens living in LA. He said "Now I know why there are 800,000 Canadiens in LA. They HATE hockey!!".

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Crease!
happy to see you back from exile in academia

I think by osmosis you now have more insight than I remember, but you're welcome nonetheless to pick my brain for memories.
Am crushed now, but perhaps some daylight between Thanksgiving and New Year we can have a holiday meet.

Thanks for mentioning this. I'm a Billy Joel nut and just found the clip on YT :)

Great rendition, none of this "soulful" **** most singers pull nowadays. The anthem should be sung straight and Joel does it perfectly.

:handclap::yo:
one of multiples by him.
tend to agree, nuanced yes, "soulful" tends to be too much.

Vickers8

Steve Vickers was a great fighter in his younger years, but our enforcer was Ron Harris

hockey-nhl-playoffs-new-york-rangers-steve-vickers-during-fight-vs-picture-id102556560

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Crazy 8's :laugh:

I got a lot of joy from the GAG line, but I still have a soft spot for Walt Tkaczuk, one of my all time fave Rangers. Career Ranger. He was primarily responsible, along with his buddies Fairbairn and Balon on the Bulldog line, for preventing Espo from scoring a goal in the Final. Imagine that.
I loved how they shut other teams top scorers down.
Loved the Giacomin-Villemure tandem, the unsung guys like Bruce MacGregor etc.
I am actually still upset with the 1975 trade of Ratelle and Park (out of respect I will include Zanussi here). That was simply asinine.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia

Thank you! What memories....Oh, what a fun run that was. I'll remember it if I live to be over 100.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad