Player Discussion Thatcher Demko

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Cool…….do they let you fly the planes as well? You seem like a crafty little guy.

What’s your excuse for his meltdowns in 2009, 2010 and letting the US back into the gold medal game?

LA won a couple cups. What was their travel like? Did Johnathan Quick have similar issues?

How long have you lived in the DTES?
:laugh::laugh::popcorn:Hey I caught your act the other day!

All in fun.:thumbu:

Worst Excuse Ever.
Edmonton Vancouver and Calgary ON AVERAGE are in the top 5 every year for the longest seasonal travel.
Before LA, ANA, Edmonton and Calgary Vancouver was easily 10 times more travel than any of the original six teams, it is still pretty close.

I gave you the actual mileage for the 2010 playoffs, Vancouver had many times more mileage than Boston.
You don't think this has an effect?

For any Pacific division team the mileage is way beyond what almost all eastern teams suffer through.

Really, if you don't know something why don't you look it up?
It's all there, all the information needed to "learn" these things.

The way the schedule is made up, (do you remember the complaints from Canuck brass?) can make a difference. Those long road trips save thousands of kilometers of travel.

LA won 2 cups, most of their rounds were over in 5/6 games which saved them thousands of extra miles and hours dehydrating in a plane.

Edmonton was just full of HoFers in their 5 cups.

It took until Gillis for the team to study sleep patterns in hockey, now used by all teams. A lot of this type of information crosses over from other sources. Like Japanese companies used to wait 3 days before negotiating deals if they came from Japan, because of jet lag. The German's studied the ciridian body clock patterns and adjusted how shift rotations made a difference in accidents and productivity as well as number of hours worked without days off.

All these things should be and are largely used in high performance requirements.

But to say travel and dehydration doesn't make a difference in hockey is just being ...... choose whatever negative adjective.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Thank you Walter Windbag. Keep us in the loop.You are as self absorbed as a water and paper towel sandwich.

The 1994 Canucks which is likely way before your time, probably did more traveling than the 2011 Canucks. Then the league gave the veteran Rangers an extra day off after the beating Vancouver gave them in Game 6, Terry Gregson was a farce of a ref in Game 7 and both Gelinas and Lafayette hit iron in the third period. Gregson boned the Canucks in that game. One penalty call and a puck an inch the other way and Vancouver wins a cup.

Enough whining about the travel. It’s a thing.

The Canucks were too banged up in 2011. Full stop.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Thank you Walter Windbag. Keep us in the loop.You are as self absorbed as a water and paper towel sandwich.

The 1994 Canucks which is likely way before your time, probably did more traveling than the 2011 Canucks. Then the league gave the veteran Rangers an extra day off after the beating Vancouver gave them in Game 6, Terry Gregson was a farce of a ref in Game 7 and both Gelinas and Lafayette hit iron in the third period. Gregson boned the Canucks in that game. One penalty call and a puck an inch the other way and Vancouver wins a cup.

Enough whining about the travel. It’s a thing.

The Canucks were too banged up in 2011. Full stop.
I have the 94 playoffs on VHS, the whole playoffs.

I agree Gregson was bought and paid for, it was the first thing Bettman did, crushed the independently run ref union after the NHL assigned and instructed refs.

1994 more mileage? Close.

1994- mileage and flight time
7 G vs Calgary = Cal - Van - Cal - Van - Cal = 2100 mi = 7.1 hrs
5 G vs Dallas = Dal - Van - Dal = 5256 mi = 12.5 hrs
5G vs Toronto = TO - Van - TO = 6234 mi = 13.5 hrs
Before finals = 13590 mi = 32.8 hrs
Rangers
4G vs Islander = Islanders - 14mi = 0 hrs
5G vs Washington = Wash - NY = 204 mi = 1.4 hrs
7G vs NJ Devils = NJ - NY - NJ - NY = 520 mi = 0 hrs
Before finals = 734 miles = 1.4 hrs

This final had the two biggest teams in the league playing, Vancouver the biggest

2010 mileage and flight time
Vancouver
7G vs Chicago = Chi - Van - Chi - Van = 7076 mi = 20.25 hr
6G vs Nashville = Nash - Van - Nash = 6144 mi = 14.25 hr
5G vs San Jose = SJ - Van = 1652 mi = 4.34 hr
Before finals = 14872 miles = 39+ hours
Boston
7G vs Montreal = Mon - Bos - Mon - Bos = 1012 mi = 6 hr
4G vs Philadelphia = Philly = 270 mi = 1.3 hr
7g vs Tampa = Tampa - Bos - Tampa - Bos = 4124 mi = 12 hr
Before finals = 5406 miles = 19.3 hrs flight time

This thread has mutated.
It's about Demko.
The media is now starting to talk about how the Canucks can get by without Demko.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So Demko is officially on LTIR.....I suppose there's a chance this is just a 'paper transaction' and that he's still 'week to week'. But you have to wonder, since extra cap space doesn't do much after the TDL has come and gone......although the Canucks did recall Arshdeep Bains from Abbotsford.

All you can do is hope that Demko has recovered in time for the playoffs......because it's unlikely the Canucks are going anywhere without him.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
The media is now starting to talk about how the Canucks can get by without Demko.

So Demko is officially on LTIR.....I suppose there's a chance this is just a 'paper transaction' and that he's still 'week to week'. But you have to wonder, since extra cap space doesn't do much after the TDL has come and gone......although the Canucks did recall Arshdeep Bains from Abbotsford.

All you can do is hope that Demko has recovered in time for the playoffs......because it's unlikely the Canucks are going anywhere without him.
The Canucks were a playoff team since Jan 1 and it would have taken a monumental slump for them to miss.

Allvin stated he was surprised by where the team is at, 1rst in the league at the time of his statement.

Moving Demko to LTIR now. This is a definite signal that the injury is not being dragged out for extra rest.
There is a clip of him leaving the game, watch it and think of a knee injury. Anyone that has had a knee injury knows you don't just step over a 2 foot high bench with ease and with him also wearing goalie pads. Not a knee, the hip joint!
Moving him to LTIR shows the degree of the injury and MIGHT be a primer for the fans for him missing the rest of the season.

The team was making the playoffs anyway and most hockey people would not expect too much more than a single series. The team still didn't end up with enough overall depth.

I think Tocchet started teaching a much more defensive approach game because of the (possible) severity of Demko's injury.
This change is evident by shots on goal allowed. They started to play a lock down game limiting shots against.
They might have done this anyway to prepare for playoffs but with a possible extended Demko absence a defensive structure become much more necessary.

AB being called up uses one of the four call ups they are allowed barring emergency. Searching for Lindholm replacement? Or Joshua?

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
The Canucks were a playoff team since Jan 1 and it would have taken a monumental slump for them to miss.

Allvin stated he was surprised by where the team is at, 1rst in the league at the time of his statement.

Moving Demko to LTIR now. This is a definite signal that the injury is not being dragged out for extra rest.
There is a clip of him leaving the game, watch it and think of a knee injury. Anyone that has had a knee injury knows you don't just step over a 2 foot high bench with ease and with him also wearing goalie pads. Not a knee, the hip joint!
Moving him to LTIR shows the degree of the injury and MIGHT be a primer for the fans for him missing the rest of the season.

The team was making the playoffs anyway and most hockey people would not expect too much more than a single series. The team still didn't end up with enough overall depth.

I think Tocchet started teaching a much more defensive approach game because of the (possible) severity of Demko's injury.
This change is evident by shots on goal allowed. They started to play a lock down game limiting shots against.
They might have done this anyway to prepare for playoffs but with a possible extended Demko absence a defensive structure become much more necessary.

AB being called up uses one of the four call ups they are allowed barring emergency. Searching for Lindholm replacement? Or Joshua?
Canucks LTIR’d Demko so they had cap to call up Bains

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
According to the intermission panel on Sportsnet, the earliest Demko can return to the lineup from LTIR is April 6th.....at that point there's only a few games left in the season.

Will he get enough action to be ready for the playoffs? I guess we're about to find out.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
According to the intermission panel on Sportsnet, the earliest Demko can return to the lineup from LTIR is April 6th.....at that point there's only a few games left in the season.

Will he get enough action to be ready for the playoffs? I guess we're about to find out.

A couple games should be enough. There will probably be a handful of practices in there as well.

As long as he's healthy, I don't really care if he gets zero games before the playoffs. He's a gamer, he'll be fine.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
A couple games should be enough. There will probably be a handful of practices in there as well.

As long as he's healthy, I don't really care if he gets zero games before the playoffs. He's a gamer, he'll be fine.
I hope so.

That is not really how goaltending usually works tho.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

It's actually 7 games left from that point.

Important that he can come back ASAP. Needs 4-6 starts to get in a rhythm ideally plus the practise time. Last thing we want is a big unknown at the GK position

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Amazing this thread need to be bumped considering his importance to having any chance in the playoffs for a win.

Latest media talk, he might not be ready, they may have to decide between Silvos and DeSmith.

I posted it was not his knee. If I am right it will be another 7 to 10 days.

At practice? Couldn't just skate? A reason for HOPE next year? Being healthy that is.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Cool…….do they let you fly the planes as well? You seem like a crafty little guy.

What’s your excuse for his meltdowns in 2009, 2010 and letting the US back into the gold medal game?

LA won a couple cups. What was their travel like? Did Johnathan Quick have similar issues?

nvrmd

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Silence is deafening. They say knee, they say lower body, they say it's not a groin, they say nothing but they do say IT ISN'T HIS HIPS!!!!!!.

They have said he will be back for the playoffs.

Combined with the sudden departure during the game where there was no real evidence of a limp or difficulty moving either leg, he lifted both over the bench and had no balance problem like he would have if he was nursing a knee or groin injury. This indicates to me an internal pain or feeling. Grinding in the hip joint, maybe a "pulling or loose" feeling.

Looking at his past surgeries and injuries.
Dr. Guardian diagnoses a hip joint clean out, which just so happens to take 6 weeks for normal recovery.

This could be the end of Demko as a starter, maybe even his career.
Schneider went this way too. Played great but kept breaking down. Demko hasn't played a full season without serious time off, well .... ever.
He has had documented hip surgeries since 2013

If he was a boxer you might say he is playing with a glass jaw.

He can get through the end of the season with pain killers but at a cost of a future surgery. He might even excel with that help of being pain free during a game.

This could also be why there is now a bigger emphasis on defensive play at the cost of offence.

Where is he now is a good question.

If it is his time there should be no panic, Ian Clarke will have a couple of guys ready to play. Even if not experienced in the NHL so much. And the team defence corp are pretty stout for the future and can be improved upon if needed.

Uhhhh. Time to back away from your computer. Maybe go take a walk. This is unsubstantiated nonsense not based in reality.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

You seem like a person who is super interested in posters height. Odd.

Anyways. LA started to manage Quicks starts and he was limited to 60 starts down from 72 the year they won the first cup. This was a period in time when goaltending was in transition stylistically so that Brodeur workloads were no longer manageable on the goalies bodies.

Canucks did not catch up to this fast enough to fully capitalise on having a Vezina caliber goalie.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
You seem like a person who is super interested in posters height. Odd.

Anyways. LA started to manage Quicks starts and he was limited to 60 starts down from 72 the year they won the first cup. This was a period in time when goaltending was in transition stylistically so that Brodeur workloads were no longer manageable on the goalies bodies.

Canucks did not catch up to this fast enough to fully capitalise on having a Vezina caliber goalie.
Great post. Will read again. 👍

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
On my Yahoo keeper league Demko was activated to healthy from LTIR. Anyone else hear anything?

Would be perfect timing to get on a game before the playoffs. Fingers crossed.

Apparently he's starting tonight against Calgary per Sportsnets Brendan Batchelor.

Last edited:

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
On my Yahoo keeper league Demko was activated to healthy from LTIR. Anyone else hear anything?

Would be perfect timing to get on a game before the playoffs. Fingers crossed.

Apparently he's starting tonight against Calgary per Sportsnets Brendan Batchelor.

Canucks aren't playing tonight. lol.

AD16

Aug 6, 2020
Demko plays tomorrow and I would play him either half the game or 2 periods on Thursday just to help find his rhythm, although could backfire in a game that means nothing for anyone and a defensive environment that may not be the greatest.

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
Demko plays tomorrow and I would play him either half the game or 2 periods on Thursday just to help find his rhythm, although could backfire in a game that means nothing for anyone and a defensive environment that may not be the greatest.
TBH, overthinking it.
He's been out for a month. He's not going to get burnt out by an extra 20-30 mins of game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad