% that McDavid wins the Rocket this season

What % say you that with 6 games left 87 wins the Rocket

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
He can "put his mind to it" he's not catching Matthews under any circumstance. What McDavid is doing to the art ross race is what Matthews is doing to the rocket

Last edited:

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I misread the question and voted for the wrong option.

McDavid maybe has a 1% chance at this point.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
0.01% chance

Mcdavid would need to score 10 goals in 7 games. While Matthews would need to be held goal-less in his last 5.

------

Matthews has the habs 3 times, the sens once, and the jets once.

Matthews has 6 goals in 7 games against the Habs. 9 goals in 8 games against the senators. 5 goals in 8 games against the jets.

I don't see him ending the year goal-less against any of those lineups.

----

I would guess Matthews will finish with 41-42, and Mcdavid to finish with 32-33.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
0.1%.

McDavid might even get to 38 goals but I don't see Matthews going goalless in his last five. He will likely put up another 2-3 goals.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
#87? Is the OP combining McDavid's totals with Crosby's? In that case, yes I think the two of them will combine for enough goals to win the Rocket this year.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Very unlikely, unless the Canucks completely shit the bed and Matthews stops scoring. McDavid has 7 games remaining, Matthews 5. If Matthews doesnt score 1 more goal (Not likely) McDavid would have to score over a goal a game just to catch him. I would say the chances are 1% or less

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
5% chance- he's always scored in bunches and he had back to back hat tricks last year so I wouldn't put the percentage as low as under 1% like a bunch of posters are saying.

He seems really motivated right now to hit 100 points, so if goals present themselves as the easiest way to collect those 13 points he could get into the mid 30s goals wise, but he'd need several massive games (along with an ice cold streak from Matthews) to actually pass him.

Matthews basically has the trophy locked up. I think if McDavid really wanted to he could get back in the rocket race just by dumping pucks on the net but he's always been a pass first player and it works for him because it usually keeps possession whereas low percentage shots usually turn the puck over.

Edit: @OP I'm also confused, if you're talking about #87 (Crosby) then the chance is )% he is simply too far behind. If you meant to talk about 97 (McDavid) then I'd say less than 5%, also McDavid has 7 games left, not 6.

Last edited:

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
You do realize you're saying if this scenario was ran 1 million times that McDavid would only win it once.

When you're playing the way McDavid is playing this season, I think the odds have to be higher than that

What McDavid is doing is nothing short of incredible, and I'm not taking anything away from him. But there's a huge factor (one that is completely unrelated to McDavid's abilities) that carries a lot of weight here: that Matthews is scoring goals at a historic pace this season, at a similar level of dominance to how McDavid is producing points. Do I think McDavid possesses the ability to score 9 goals in his remaining 7 games? Definitely, but even that only lands him in a tie with Matthews' current tally of 38 goals. There's very little chance that Matthews is done adding to his goal totals. That's why this race is over.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
What McDavid is doing is nothing short of incredible, and I'm not taking anything away from him. But there's a huge factor (one that is completely unrelated to McDavid's abilities) that carries a lot of weight here: that Matthews is scoring goals at a historic pace this season, at a similar level of dominance to how McDavid is producing points. Do I think McDavid possesses the ability to score 9 goals in his remaining 7 games? Definitely, but even that only lands him in a tie with Matthews' current tally of 38 goals. There's very little chance that Matthews is done adding to his goal totals. That's why this race is over.
I agree, the percentage is extremely low, but would I say 1 in a million? Definitely not.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I agree, the percentage is extremely low, but would I say 1 in a million? Definitely not.

Pretty much is, considering if Matthews never had his injury we would be talking about another 5-10 goals for him right now. First 18 games 18 goals, 12 games after the wrist injury 3 goals, then 17 goals in his last 17 games. It's not even remotely close.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I re-ran the model that I've been using this season. Assuming Matthews doesn't miss any games, the race is absolutely over. My model gives him a 99.97% chance of winning the Richard trophy. McDavid has less than a 0.1% chance.

If we assume Matthews misses the rest of the season, the race is still over. In that scenario, he has a 99.92% chance of winning the Richard trophy. McDavid's chances go up to 0.2%. There are too few games remaining on the schedule for him to have any realistic chance to catch up.

If someone offered to pay me $1 if Matthews won the Richard, and I had to pay them $1,000 if anyone else took the trophy, I'd take that bet (and sleep soundly at night).

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Pretty much is, considering if Matthews never had his injury we would be talking about another 5-10 goals for him right now. First 18 games 18 goals, 12 games after the wrist injury 3 goals, then 17 goals in his last 17 games. It's not even remotely close.
So you would take a bet where if Matthews wins the rocket you win 1 dollar, but if he loses you pay me a million?

Hell thats a deal I would make (if I ignore the fact you'd actually never pay me if it happened)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad