Blue Jays Discussion: Thank you, Gibby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Would be pretty embarrassing for Rogers if the president of the team big leagued us for a lateral move to another organization. I'll hold out on this one until something actually happens though lol.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
2 important things and one bit of disappointing minutae:

1:

Thus ends all the "where's Paulino?" talk.

2:

Jonathan "No longer J.D. and certainly not D.J." Davis makes his MLB debut tonight.

3:

Sad that the debuts don't also include Rowdy Tellez, because I have been sitting on a very appropriate gif for a long time and I want to use it.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I'm excited to see Davis. I still think he's good enough to carve out a career as a 4th OF somewhere. I'm still disappointed we'll never get a JD/DJ Davis outfield.

Paulino's upside is pretty enticing, too.

Last edited:

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Would be pretty embarrassing for Rogers if the president of the team big leagued us for a lateral move to another organization. I'll hold out on this one until something actually happens though lol.

Especially considering the Wilpons are widely considered one of the worst owners in baseball.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
QUOTE="SeaOfBlue, post: 149254125, member: 204205"]Would not be shocked if the Jays swap him for another struggling former top prospect in their mid 20's who also needs a change of scenery.[/QUOTE]

I'd be surprised because he shouldn't be worth anything on the trade market now. He'll get released and get a shot with another organization while the Blue Jays will pick a player in similar circumstances released by another organization. You don't stay a highly rated prospect forever. If you don't progress whether from injuries or bad luck or personal problems, orgs have to move on. I hope he does progress elsewhere.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
QUOTE="SeaOfBlue, post: 149254125, member: 204205"]Would not be shocked if the Jays swap him for another struggling former top prospect in their mid 20's who also needs a change of scenery.

I'd be surprised because he shouldn't be worth anything on the trade market now. He'll get released and get a shot with another organization while the Blue Jays will pick a player in similar circumstances released by another organization. You don't stay a highly rated prospect forever. If you don't progress whether from injuries or bad luck or personal problems, orgs have to move on. I hope he does progress elsewhere.

Something along the lines of a Pompey for Aaron Blair swap would make sense.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
He's got that Javy Baez, IDGAF about your feelings, swing. Except with a 17% K-rate vs 29%.
I love how he picks his spots, it's very rare you'll ever see a swing like this with two strikes. He looks for his pitch early, and if you throw it he'll go for broke. But when the situation calls for it, he shortens up and does what he needs to. Not everyone can do this.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I love how he picks his spots, it's very rare you'll ever see a swing like this with two strikes. He looks for his pitch early, and if you throw it he'll go for broke. But when the situation calls for it, he shortens up and does what he needs to. Not everyone can do this.

The thing I find craziest about this one is that he seemed to be looking for his pitch and was wrong about it... but he still managed to absolutely crush it. It looks to me like he's gearing up for the fastball and then adjusts to the curve, which is why he stumbled/spun so much.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Yep, great hands and bat control. Part of the reason for the high rate of ground balls is due to his two-strike approach. Can't tell you how many times this year he slapped a ball to the right side or pulled to the hole at SS with two strikes.

If he can maintain that ability while filling out, he's going to be an absolute monster.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
He honestly reminds me so much of prime Josh Donaldson the way he swings. Aggressively attacks the balls and puts his whole body into it.

Funny you should say that, good sir.

Bichette loads his swing with an aggressive leg kick and unleashes a powerful swing with fierce bat speed. He's consistently on time and on plane through the hitting zone for a long time, which allows him to barrel balls at a high rate. Bichette has a good sense for the strike zone and uses the whole field, with above-average power and loft to go deep to all fields. He has a strong, compact frame and while some scouts think he's a future second or third baseman, he looked better than expected at shortstop in 2017. An average runner, Bichette lacks flash at shortstop and doesn't have the range or footwork many teams want at the position, but he's a fundamentally sound defender with a good internal clock and an above-average arm. Bichette draws comparisons with Josh Donaldson, with a chance to be a middle-of-the-order hitter and has the potential to be one of the most talented offensive players in baseball. Double-A New Hampshire is his next step.

That's BBA after 2017. Fwiw, Vlad gets the Manny Ramirez comparison.

Reactions: dangomon

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Yep, great hands and bat control. Part of the reason for the high rate of ground balls is due to his two-strike approach. Can't tell you how many times this year he slapped a ball to the right side or pulled to the hole at SS with two strikes.

If he can maintain that ability while filling out, he's going to be an absolute monster.
Lots of young prospects have natural hitting ability, its the approach and mental fortitude of Bo and Vlad that have me most excited. Bodes well for their ability to translate their success as they move up the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad