Tesla pickup....ugly as hell?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
https%3A%2F%2Fapi.thedrive.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F11%2FCybertruck-5.jpg%3Fquality%3D85

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com%2Fthe-drive-cms-content-staging%2Fmessage-editor%252F1574402441621-cybertruck1.jpg

Ouch, this has got to be a joke?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I have to admit I find it having 1 to 3 "engines" interesting but there was not much detail and like usual I take most of Musk's timelines and claims with a grain of salt as history has show us, he tends to make grandiose claims that most often don't pan out.

According to Musk, the most inexpensive version of the Cybertruck will cost $39,900, will tow up to 14,000 pounds, and will be able to carry a 3,500-pound payload in its bed. The Cybertruck will also come in three different ranges: 200 miles, 300 miles, and 500 miles. All of those specs are ambitious, to say the least, but delivering on that is about a thousand times easier than delivering a flying car, as countless failed companies of the past century can attest.
Electric vehicles actually exist in the real world, and people pay real money for them. But there’s still reason to be a bit skeptical when it comes to Musk’s claims. The guy has some major successes in the world of tech innovation, especially when the U.S. government is footing the bill, as it often does for SpaceX and Tesla. But Musk is also known to spread himself really thin and get easily distracted. The Model S and Model X faced delays of 18 months and more, SpaceX’s Falcon 9 explosion in 2016 destroyed a $200 million satellite, and Tesla’s Autopilot feature has been implicated in a number of deaths.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Actually it makes me thing of a Delorean the more I look at it, especially with the silver/grey sheet metal look.

delorean-2000-news-photo-534254818-1547757227.jpg

They had one at the press-exclusive launch event so I think that was intentional (link).

This is still the concept, right, not the exact production model? I can't imagine they're gonna be rolling out the factory without side mirrors. I also think the unnecessary sloping walls on either side of the bed would be a pain in the ass for like, truck stuff. Y'know, carrying objects (say, a box spring) that may be slightly larger than the bed's surface area. It's important for the weird triangular silhouette, but if you actually square it off like a normal truck bed it looks a lot better.

Last edited:

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It looked like one of those CGI trucks for a super low budget mid 2000s sci-fi movie where they couldn't afford to use a real truck and CGI around the truck so they just CGI the whole thing.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Forgetting about the looks for a second, what exactly makes this a truck? It's more like an El Camino, which had a bed but no one considered a truck.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It's not my cup of tea, though I appreciate the attempt at going for something different. I think the big knock is just the plain oddness of it and how it doesn't resemble what anyone else is putting out as a truck. That said, I'm not sure Musk is really targeting a group of people who would be turned off by that. I think it's going to do "truck things" fine. I think it'll be able to be do sporty truck things fine, too. And a beginning price point of $40k isn't crazy, especially if Musk actually meets the tech specs he's claiming.

still, it looks weird.

Forgetting about the looks for a second, what exactly makes this a truck? It's more like an El Camino, which had a bed but no one considered a truck.

Looking at it from the side, I can definitely see a truck "profile" with how it sits, the slant from front to back, etc. I think it's also made to be a bit more robust than the El Camino was (though, I don't think being a new El Camino is a bad thing). It's towing and hauling capacity makes it more of a "truck" than a "car."

They had one at the press-exclusive launch event so I think that was intentional (link).

This is still the concept, right, not the exact production model? I can't imagine they're gonna be rolling out the factory without side mirrors. I also think the unnecessary sloping walls on either side of the bed would be a pain in the ass for like, truck stuff. Y'know, carrying objects (say, a box spring) that may be slightly larger than the bed's surface area. It's important for the weird triangular silhouette, but if you actually square it off like a normal truck bed it looks a lot better.

Just a guess, but I'd wonder if the sloping walls is to reduce drag. Also, I'm not sure how much they slope into the bed, and how much they are built out from the truck, to give them room to slope back to the inner wall, if that makes sense. Something I've noticed looking at pics is that there do not appear to be any wheel wells protruding into the truck bed. It's just a box. which also makes me think the skin of the truck is bumped out a lot to provide room for the aerodynamic shape.

member 157595

EDIT: Beaten to the punch. Sad face. :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Chubbinz

Nov 1, 2016
The more I see the pictures of it the less I mind the looks but I think the novelty would wear off pretty quick if I owned one. Something I would get tired of instantly would be random people coming up and asking questions about it.

For the haul four bags of mulch and take two glamping trips a year crowd that this appears to be marketed to it looks alright. I think it is going to run into problems getting into the market of people who work out of their trucks or tow/haul with any regularity. Range is most certainly going to take a big hit when you load one of these down and the way the back end of the truck is designed it looks to be a real pain in the ass to get to anything in the bed from outside the truck.

Reactions: Seattle Totems

member 157595

The more I see the pictures of it the less I mind the looks but I think the novelty would wear off pretty quick if I owned one. Something I would get tired of instantly would be random people coming up and asking questions about it.

For the haul four bags of mulch and take two glamping trips a year crowd that this appears to be marketed to it looks alright. I think it is going to run into problems getting into the market of people who work out of their trucks or tow/haul with any regularity. Range is most certainly going to take a big hit when you load one of these down and the way the back end of the truck is designed it looks to be a real pain in the ass to get to anything in the bed from outside the truck.

That's pretty much exactly right. This thing isn't going to be taking much market share even from the Tacoma crowd IMO so the full size crowd is out of the question.

Imagine being a contractor and pulling up to a job site with a ground version of the Star Fox vehicle. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad