Televised Games That Still Exist (64/65 - 74/75)

Scott1980

Apr 27, 2010
Toronto
There was a thread a few months back about this topic, but I wanted to ask again.

I was talking to a friend of mine (Huge Hawk fan, btw) about games from his childhood (the time mentioned above) about games that I've seen clips of. He was a little intrigued, but also mentioned that he knows almost NO games of the Blackhawks exist because their owner allowed almost no games to be televised. I was stunned to hear this. Please tell me my friend is lying!

Also, not being a particular fan of one NHL team from that era. (I wasn't really around back then, anyway). I went home a few nights ago and started making a list of games that I've seen clips of from back then, or know for sure exist in their entirely. I've seen my share, and am pretty good (Thank you HSP!) at identifying particular games from back then. Having realized it is 90/10 chance of a playoff game, it makes it that much easier.

BTW, am I wrong to think that if clips of game exist, that they're is a good chance that the entire game exists?

I mean, look how many clips are from The Best Of Bobby Orr DVD. You're not going to tell me that, with all those clips of him playing defence from games, they're not going to have the rest, are you?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The only Chicago games that exist are from Hockey Night in Canada going back to at least 1961.

HNIC put many games on film so they could be shown in parts of Canada that CBC could not reach live.

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
WGN-TV used to carry a handful of Black Hawks road games, starting circa 1962. Within a couple of years, they covered the entire road schedule.

But old man Wirtz refused any TV for home games. He even held out against radio coverage of entire home games for many years.

sarafurry

Feb 9, 2011
Em sure some amazing games from the past must be there at channels libraries but honestly, apart from a few, no one really wants to see such old games. As Scott said, most of us were really not around back then, so it doesn't sound much exciting to me.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
I wish they had the afternoon Game of the Week when the Seals played at Chicago, final was 3-1 Hawks if I recall. It was the Seals last season.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
You might want to check with the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto. I at one time had tapes from the 50's & early 60's that I had acquired through them. You'll find the staff extremely helpful, likely to know where you'll find what you seek. :)

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
In the year of the great expansion, I watched the Black Hawks play their opening game in Pittsburgh (the Penguins first game ever) . . . and the Hawks lost. Someone should have preserved that videotape.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
In the year of the great expansion, I watched the Black Hawks play their opening game in Pittsburgh (the Penguins first game ever) . . . and the Hawks lost. Someone should have preserved that videotape.

Unless you're referring to an exhibition game, the loss in Pittsburgh was their fifth game of the season for Chicago and the sixth game for the Pens. It was the Hawks first game against an expansion team however, and the following night they returned home to lose again to the expansion Kings!:amazed:

FiveForDrawingBlood

May 25, 2010
You might want to check with the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto. I at one time had tapes from the 50's & early 60's that I had acquired through them. You'll find the staff extremely helpful, likely to know where you'll find what you seek. :)

How did you do this?

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
Unless you're referring to an exhibition game, the loss in Pittsburgh was their fifth game of the season for Chicago and the sixth game for the Pens. It was the Hawks first game against an expansion team however, and the following night they returned home to lose again to the expansion Kings!:amazed:

You're right, of course. :banghead: I should have checked that. I think that Pittsburgh's opener was against Montreal, and they surprised everyone by losing just 2-1.

It was the first matchup of the Hawks against an expansion team, and that's what made the impression on me. Chicago began that season 0-6 and 1-7-1 before they got rolling.

The NHL avoided scheduling any interdivisional games in that particular exhibition season, and so we were all eager to see how the new teams would do against the established ones -- and the Hawks did lose their first two tests against the expansion teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad