Ansar Khan: Teemu Pulkkinen waived (claimed by Wild)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why would we carry 3 extra bodies when we're smack up against the cap? There's no requirement that we have 23 bodies on the active roster at all times.

With the amount of $$$ on LTIR, I don't see why we wouldn't have the cap space for it, and I don't see why we wouldn't if we had the cap space for it.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
That's pretty much my take, Is that we will have 7 active D men and Kronwall will go onto LTIR along with Franzen, Vitale and Jurco. And we will go with DeKeyser, Green, Smith, Marchenko, Ericsson, Ouellet and Sproul to start the season off any ways. Hopefully Kronwall doesn't miss to much time we can really use him the D is already bad enough can't afford to be without Kronner also.

I'm really baffled at both Frk and Pulkkinen getting waived, Unless AA has made the team and Miller and Ott do rotate as the 13th forward. This makes very little sense here. Not sure what Hollands trying to do here very confusing would've much rather had Frk make the team and had put Pulkkinen on waivers Saturday any ways some interesting times coming up here in the next 28 hours or so until the 23 man roster has to be set.

Why? Do you know how many injuries it would've taken to get Frk and/or Pulkkinen the type of cheese-grabbing time they'd need to show something that creates value? Frk and Pulkkinen were slated for 13th forward bench duty. And in the event of a serious long-term injury, everyone knows that AA is going to get the call-up and be slotted into the big money spot once the cap has been made from LTIR.

In Holland's eyes, at this point, they aren't losing anything in Frk or Pulkkinen, because they know there's a snowball's chance in hell that they'll ever be put in a position to succeed here. The organization is far too concerned with simply making the playoffs than potentially risking a few lost points by giving the likes of Pulkkinen and Frk time to work out their kinks with 10+ minutes a night with non-grinders.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
If both Frk and Pulkinnen are lost on waivers in favor of keeping Nosek, there's way too much wrong with this organization. I hope they wouldn't do something that ridiculous.

Cal Vandelay

Apr 1, 2008
Can't say I'm surprised that he doesn't make the team. More disappointed that we couldn't muster a late round pick for the guy or something back for him. Previously stated but I believe poor asset management, again.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Last edited:

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
PLOT TWIST:

Holland put in a claim for Parenteau and wants to have the roster/cap space available just in case he gets the claim.

Think about it.....

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
So now this is good asset management, when people are celebrating waived Pulkkinen, but waiving Frk was bad asset management?

he should have been waived OVER frk at this point, clearly i am right as pulks was waived as well

that said, one of them should have been traded for an asset, a pick, even just a conditional pick because thats actual asset mgmt

solo16

Nov 22, 2007
CT
I think we don't have cap space... Pulkkinen doesn't open enough.

The way the LTIR works means we need to be exactly at the cap or we lose the difference. The biggest flaw in the system of using LTIR preseason is if after LTIR you are 1M below the cap you stay 1M below the cap all season.

If you are exactly at the cap after LTIR you keep the difference.

This is a gross oversimplification but my point is it is possible Kenny is trying to get the cap as high as possible.

1.25M>$750k

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I think we don't have cap space... Pulkkinen doesn't open enough.

Parenteau's cap hit is $1.25M, only $438k more than Pulkkinens.

If it has any effect on being cap compliant, they could put Mantha and AA in GR right away, start with 13 forwards, and kick the can down the road for when Jurco comes of IR.

All of which Holland has done before.

Parenteau has Holland written all over him... Old, soft and is somewhat useful unless he doesn't have the puck. He even had 2 more goals than Vanek last season playing under Babcock.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
What are the odds that he clears waivers, any teams that may be interested?
The teams that put in a claim for Frk should be interested in Pulkks. But then again maybe not since Pulkks have shown he's not good in the NHL. He could definitely clear.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Does Phaneuf make our team better? That cap hit......I just don't think that makes any sense.
You missed the point of that tweet.

The Maple Leafs showed interest in Pulkkinen in that trade (fact). So it could be inferred that maybe they would have been interested in acquiring Pulkkinen for a draft pick or asset on his own.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The teams that put in a claim for Frk should be interested in Pulkks. But then again maybe not since Pulkks have shown he's not good in the NHL. He could definitely clear.

Maybe we think because he's injured he won't clear?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
he should have been waived OVER frk at this point, clearly i am right as pulks was waived as well

that said, one of them should have been traded for an asset, a pick, even just a conditional pick because thats actual asset mgmt

Looks like no organization isn't getting any picks for any guys right now.

What comes to all moves at this summer, it has been kind of pattern, that no organization has had any willingness to pay for anything, when expansion draft is coming. No reason to pay, if there's risk to lose the same guy year after.

So current market is an extraordinary market. There will be more waiver claims then maybe ever and quite good material on waivers.

Ondrej Pavelec
Zbynek Michalek
Klas Dahlbeck
PA Parenteau
Marc McNeill
Erik Condra
Anton Lander
Pulkkinen
etc.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

Holland's probably crossing his fingers hoping teams won't want to take a chance after Pulkkinen spent half of last season doghoused and injured, and just recovered from surgery...

Same approach he took with Quincey's waiving 8 years ago. "Yea, but we think Meech (marginal #7 filler at the time and also subject to waivers) has more upside and Kyle is just coming off an injury."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad