Ansar Khan: Teemu Pulkkinen waived (claimed by Wild)

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Well, our boy Pookie is having a rough time getting ice on the Wild. Only about 7-8 minutes a game. He has 1 goal in 5 games and only 3 shots.

He's young, new to their system, coming off shoulder surgery. Did you think he would getting top line minutes? He's doing fine for the limited role he is in for now.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He's young, new to their system, coming off shoulder surgery. Did you think he would getting top line minutes? He's doing fine for the limited role he is in for now.

I didn't think anything really. Just giving an update because I flip the Wild games on in the background sometimes and barely see him playing.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Actually for a one dimensional player, 3 shots in 5 games is not fine, 7 or 8 minutes a game or not. A good player just playing offensively should and would have more than that. My Prediction is Pulkks will be in Europe within 2-3 years. He doesn't do enough to play in the NHL, he just kind of floats around out there and gets random shots on net. He doesn't even look engaged in the play out there.

Oct 18, 2006
Actually for a one dimensional player, 3 shots in 5 games is not fine, 7 or 8 minutes a game or not. A good player just playing offensively should and would have more than that. My Prediction is Pulkks will be in Europe within 2-3 years. He doesn't do enough to play in the NHL, he just kind of floats around out there and gets random shots on net. He doesn't even look engaged in the play out there.
Sadly I agree. I once was so hyped for him, back from when he tore up the Finnish league in his rookie season. Then he scored like mad in the AHL and I regained confidence, but after seeing him in the NHL over the past 2 seasons, I don't think he does enough. Very one-dimensional.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Sadly I agree. I once was so hyped for him, back from when he tore up the Finnish league in his rookie season. Then he scored like mad in the AHL and I regained confidence, but after seeing him in the NHL over the past 2 seasons, I don't think he does enough. Very one-dimensional.

I was hyped too. Should go back in time and convince Holland to trade him while his stock was high.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Imo, his biggest problem he never couldn't overcome was his short reach. He can't protect the puck, because he is small with shorts hands and short stick. Bigger players always steal or tip the puck off easily from his stick.

And for same reason, Pulkkinen is defensively useless. He can't steal pucks without a good reach. He is too small to steal pucks with hitting. Pavel Datsyuk had those ape-man hands, which did enable him to use longer stick than players with his actual height usually use. That longer stick and reach enables bigger puck control area = that's protection. Those ape-man hands made Pavel an ultimate weapon and a puck-thief.

Also, with small reach, Pulkkinen's shooting area is very small. You have to pass the puck in a perfect spot to get that one-timer off. Etc. etc.

Everything comes to that reach. Both offensive and defensive flaws. An that problem will never change against huge-reach NHL players in NHL-sized rink. But he will flourish at Europe, more space and not so protection-based hockey.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Minnesota fans must be enraged over their GM giving up quality assets for free

Terrible asset management :sarcasm:

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Kind of sucks that Minnesota gets to put him in the minors if there are no claims on him. There should be a rule that makes it so the original team gets to claim the player to put in the minors. Oh well

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Oh, I didn't know that. Interesting.

So if we make a claim and someone below us makes a claim he has to be on the roster I assume. Honestly I'm not sure it's worth the risk unless they're 100% certain he's going unclaimed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad