OT: Technical Questions

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
It's that time of the year..which TV should I buy?

Hello,

In 2013, and NOT 3D, which TV should I buy. I'm mostly interested being 40' to 46' inches. Don't have the space for bigger. And obviously interested in somewhat of a home cinema system (is that how you say it), though people please try to be as cheap as possible. My goal would be to buy all this at less than 1000$, taxes included for everything. So my questions:

1- Which model should I buy
2- Which model should I really not consider
3- Where are we as far as ACL, Plasma and LED.
4- In in the North Shore Montreal area, which place would you go to as far pricing and service

Thanks.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Hello,

In 2013, and NOT 3D, which TV should I buy. I'm mostly interested being 40' to 46' inches. Don't have the space for bigger. And obviously interested in somewhat of a home cinema system (is that how you say it), though people please try to be as cheap as possible. My goal would be to buy all this at less than 1000$, taxes included for everything. So my questions:

1- Which model should I buy
2- Which model should I really not consider
3- Where are we as far as ACL, Plasma and LED.
4- In in the North Shore Montreal area, which place would you go to as far pricing and service

Thanks.

I would try to aim for Sharp or Samsung. Under 1000$ should be easy. I'm at work now so I can't find you a specific deal or model at the moment, but I'll look into it when I get home. As for models you should avoid, you seem to be doing just fine by ruling out 3d tv's :laugh:

It's too bad you missed out on boxing day. There's usually great deals on TV's. Mostly the last years models, but it's worth it IMO.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I would try to aim for Sharp or Samsung. Under 1000$ should be easy. I'm at work now so I can't find you a specific deal or model at the moment, but I'll look into it when I get home. As for models you should avoid, you seem to be doing just fine by ruling out 3d tv's :laugh:

It's too bad you missed out on boxing day. There's usually great deals on TV's. Mostly the last years models, but it's worth it IMO.

I keep reading about this and since I watch a whole lot of sports and movies, they keep saying that Plasma is the way to go and that it's cheaper. And a lot of people seems to be recommanding Panasonic as well. But I was, before that, mostly aiming at some LED TV's and for sure that Samsung was talked about and so is Sony though is it still true that you still pay a whole lot for the name as far as Sony is concerned? Sharp, well I do hear about Aquos but still didn't find a site that recommands it over others. As of now, I am aiming towards Panasonic, Sony and Samsung. But if anybody has anything to add, that would be great.

Last edited:

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I keep reading about this and since I watch a whole lot of sports and movies, they keep saying that Plasma is the way to go and that it's cheaper. And a lot of people seems to be recommanding Panasonic as well. But I was, before that, mostly aiming at some LED TV's and for sure that Samsung was talked about and so is Sony though is it still true that you still pay a whole lot for the name as far as Sony is concerned? Sharp, well I do hear about Aquos but still didn't find a site that recommands it over others. As of now, I am aiming towards Panasonic, Sony and Samsung. But if anybody has anything to ask, that would be great.

If it were me, I'd be going LED. Compared to the old LCD's, they take so much less power and release much less heat. As for plasma's, I don't have a huge amount of experience with them personally since, as a gamer, I avoided burn-in like the plague.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
If it were me, I'd be going LED. Compared to the old LCD's, they take so much less power and release much less heat. As for plasma's, I don't have a huge amount of experience with them personally since, as a gamer, I avoided burn-in like the plague.

It's stupid question day.....is it a problem to put a TV on a wall that at the bottom of it has a "plinthe électrique" (electric baseboard???) on it so that the heat is automatically going up the way and for sure would be directed towards the TV every time that baseboard is on which will be...always.........Do you know that or anybody?

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
On a pc, USB cable works, it charges the phone but the device does not show up. After a google search I found no one with my problem.

I went on the samsung website and downloaded this thing called Kies 2.0, I'll see if that does it

You may have to map the drive, perhaps it's being assigned a letter being used by another drive?

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I keep reading about this and since I watch a whole lot of sports and movies, they keep saying that Plasma is the way to go and that it's cheaper. And a lot of people seems to be recommanding Panasonic as well. But I was, before that, mostly aiming at some LED TV's and for sure that Samsung was talked about and so is Sony though is it still true that you still pay a whole lot for the name as far as Sony is concerned? Sharp, well I do hear about Aquos but still didn't find a site that recommands it over others. As of now, I am aiming towards Panasonic, Sony and Samsung. But if anybody has anything to add, that would be great.

It really depends on your room setting. Is it going in a dark room, a well lit room ect?

For plasma's you can't go wrong with panasonic. I own a samsung Plasma that is great as well. It has a bit of image retention, but is easily wiped out or will disappears entirely on its own. With a limited budget I would probably go Samsung plasma. I've got a 50 in my front room and a 42 in my bedroom and they are absolutely fantastic. Burn-in is basically a thing of the past. If you want plasma, I wouldn't worry at all about possible burn-in.

If your room is dark, I would go with plasma, if you tend to watch movies in a bright room with all the windows open ect, go lcd/led. The picture quality difference between lcd and led doesn't justify the cost imo.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
It really depends on your room setting. Is it going in a dark room, a well lit room ect?

For plasma's you can't go wrong with panasonic. I own a samsung Plasma that is great as well. It has a bit of image retention, but is easily wiped out or will disappears entirely on its own. With a limited budget I would probably go Samsung plasma. I've got a 50 in my front room and a 42 in my bedroom and they are absolutely fantastic. Burn-in is basically a thing of the past. If you want plasma, I wouldn't worry at all about possible burn-in.

If your room is dark, I would go with plasma, if you tend to watch movies in a bright room with all the windows open ect, go lcd/led. The picture quality difference between lcd and led doesn't justify the cost imo.

Thanks. It's in my basement. While surrounded by 4 small windows, it is fairly dark even during the day. We're not talking about a TV for the living room filled with windows.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Thanks. It's in my basement. While surrounded by 4 small windows, it is fairly dark even during the day. We're not talking about a TV for the living room filled with windows.

If picture quality is your main concern. I would definitely go plasma. Panasonic if you can, however, samsungs are pretty damn good too.

As for your baseboard heater question. I wouldn't want to give poor advice here, my guess is as long as there is reasonable clearance you're probably ok. I never had this concern when installing mine.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
If picture quality is your main concern. I would definitely go plasma. Panasonic if you can, however, samsungs are pretty damn good too.

As for your baseboard heater question. I wouldn't want to give poor advice here, my guess is as long as there is reasonable clearance you're probably ok. I never had this concern when installing mine.

Is going with a SMART TV enough to go with Samsung?

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012

I've heard good reviews. I would definitely price a few Panasonics though. They are the king of plasma TV's, but Samsung is emerging as a decent alternative.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

I have owned backlit, plasma and LED. I love the LED. It is extremely versatile and has superb contrast, color, and clarity, and the audio is excellent. I own Samsung and recommend it very highly. The model I have is the 40" UN40EH6000. You should be able to find it on sale now for under $1000. Whatever LED you look at, make sure the refresh is 120 or higher. My TV has no SMART functionality, but I added it with $100 Samsung Blu ray player.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I have owned backlit, plasma and LED. I love the LED. It is extremely versatile and has superb contrast, color, and clarity, and the audio is excellent. I own Samsung and recommend it very highly. The model I have is the 40" UN40EH6000. You should be able to find it on sale now for under $1000. Whatever

Plasma wins in picture quality 9 times out of 10 imo.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

That is a very subjective statement. Best idea is to compare TVs side by side.

For what it's worth, I have yet to see a set under $2000 that has a picture to equal my Samsung.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I have owned backlit, plasma and LED. I love the LED. It is extremely versatile and has superb contrast, color, and clarity, and the audio is excellent. I own Samsung and recommend it very highly. The model I have is the 40" UN40EH6000. You should be able to find it on sale now for under $1000. Whatever LED you look at, make sure the refresh is 120 or higher. My TV has no SMART functionality, but I added it with $100 Samsung Blu ray player.

Not sure I understand. You can the Smart feature by buying a 100$ Samsung Blue Ray player?

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Not sure I understand. You can the Smart feature by buying a 100$ Samsung Blue Ray player?

The Blu ray is connected to the TV. It has the wireless connectivity you need. Can access Netflix and other online services. I am a very internet connected guy, and hardly use it, but the Blu ray is great and it's there if I need it.

Plus if your TV does not have dual processors, many people find SMART very, very slow.

WS, why do you think you need / want SMART?

I ask because in my opinion the money is better spent on the best possible picture.

Regarding your heating system, the poster who suggested it's not likely a problem is probably right. A simple safety feature would be to mount a shelf on the wall below the TV and use it for small speakers or your favorite Habs DVDS! The shelf would block the direct heat.

Last edited:

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

That is a very subjective statement. Best idea is to compare TVs side by side.

For what it's worth, I have yet to see a set under $2000 that has a picture to equal my Samsung.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008

Yes but smart tv features are pretty overated especially if you have a PS3.
I also would like to recommend a 40''+ LED TV Samsung will give you best quality:pricing ratio. This tv would be ideal at your price range : http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=3f548028178c3f37caaa122d672c6dcden02

However I'm sure it will eventually be on sale at 749.99 or 799.99 somewhere.

P.S : STAY AWAY FROM LG LED/LCD they are the worst...LG LIFES GARBAGE.

Kenny Powders

Apr 6, 2005
Laval
Hey guys, quick question here.

If I plan on going in vacation like lets says tomorrow or in 2 days and I have an unpaid ticket, can I still go, will I get stopped at the customs? I play on going at Punta Cana and I really wanna know.

(Don't tell me to go pay it, I already know that, just asking for information)

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
The Blu ray is connected to the TV. It has the wireless connectivity you need. Can access Netflix and other online services. I am a very internet connected guy, and hardly use it, but the Blu ray is great and it's there if I need it.

Plus if your TV does not have dual processors, many people find SMART very, very slow.

WS, why do you think you need / want SMART?

I ask because in my opinion the money is better spent on the best possible picture.

Regarding your heating system, the poster who suggested it's not likely a problem is probably right. A simple safety feature would be to mount a shelf on the wall below the TV and use it for small speakers or your favorite Habs DVDS! The shelf would block the direct heat.

I don't really want SMART just thought it was a neat feature. I'm not that geek so the fact that I could have this directly on my TV with not a whole lot of other things to do seemed fine with me. But true that my main concern is picture quality. Great advice for the shelf by the way.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Yes but smart tv features are pretty overated especially if you have a PS3.
I also would like to recommend a 40''+ LED TV Samsung will give you best quality:pricing ratio. This tv would be ideal at your price range : http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=3f548028178c3f37caaa122d672c6dcden02

However I'm sure it will eventually be on sale at 749.99 or 799.99 somewhere.

P.S : STAY AWAY FROM LG LED/LCD they are the worst...LG LIFES GARBAGE.

Thanks. And don't worry. Was never aiming for LG. Bought 2 things from LG in the past year and hated it every single time. Learned my lesson.

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
I'm not implying you should go for LG over another OEM, but blindly avoiding a company because of brand name and insignificant past experience is as pedantic as loving an OEM even to the point of over looking flaws *cough* Apple *cough*. Just because you got lemons doesn't mean all they manufacture is lemons, and vice versa, just because you've been super satisfied with one or two products doesn't mean they are the best.
Everyone needs to learn to temper their expectations and be prepared to be the odd man out when it comes to defective products.

Although if you bought something without doing the appropriate research, shame on you.

Always do your research and analyse on a Model per model basis.
Look up reviews and make sure to cross reference them to see if the reviews are consistent.

That's how you determine what to buy and what not to buy. Don't judge solely on brand name.

Kenny Powders

Apr 6, 2005
Laval
Hey guys, quick question here.

If I plan on going in vacation like lets says tomorrow or in 2 days and I have an unpaid ticket, can I still go, will I get stopped at the customs? I play on going at Punta Cana and I really wanna know.

(Don't tell me to go pay it, I already know that, just asking for information)

Anyone?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad