Speculation: Teams that need a Retool

Btown

Oct 1, 2011
Wild have good young players but not great young players. Depth without star power, outside of Suter.

These playoffs have especially made clear how much you need legitimate "elite" (holy **** I hate that word) talent to drive the bus.

I think this team relies on Suter ALOT more than people know, with him in the line up and playing so many minutes he really solidifies the D, him missing leaves the D suspect and weak

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think this team relies on Suter ALOT more than people know, with him in the line up and playing so many minutes he really solidifies the D, him missing leaves the D suspect and weak

You can say this about any elite defenseman. It's not groundbreaking. The D is still fine without him. It's not even the worst core of the playoff teams without him.
There are bigger problems than our D without Suter. We got shutout in games 4 and 5, and we only scored 1 goal in game 2, and 2 in game 1. I don't know what the hell happened in game 3, but clearly it was an anomaly.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Amongst the "decent" teams, Anaheim is the one most badly needing to Boston-esque re-tool IMO. They've got some really talented pieces there, and some excellent youngish talent on the back end, but I think they should be looking towards a youth movement to bolster that forward group moving forward for ~2 years from now. Forwards generally seem to develop faster than defensmen, if they acquired some more picks / prospects and drafted right they could turn it around quite nicely IMO. I just don't see the current group getting it done, and I think trying to go all-in to maximize Getlaf's prime would probably be a mistake that ends in failure. I also think just standing pat this off-season and hoping some vets turn it around and they get back in the playoffs next year with the same group would be essentially moving backwards.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
As a Caps fan I agree and disagree with this notion. But from this thread I think it's safe to say that in about a month fans of 30 teams are going to think their favorite team needs a retool if not a full on rebuild.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Wild have good young players but not great young players. Depth without star power, outside of Suter.

These playoffs have especially made clear how much you need legitimate "elite" (holy **** I hate that word) talent to drive the bus.
Uh Vegas.

Reactions: Oneiro

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Hahaha I hit a nerve.

Well sir, we've been re-tooling and have actually made it to the 3rd round. Maybe you should try it out. :)
Where'd you make it this year? Retool is going pretty well. Maybe that'll be my new nickname for you. BlueDream the Re-Tool sounds good.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The Wild have too much term and money invested in >30 players to retool their core in a way that matters. They basically assembled a round one and done team that they can't easily add to or subtract from. Beats missing the playoffs every year though.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
A blues fan is in no position to throw shade. Hahaha
I didn't even come in here throwing shade, you guys are just extremely insecure and sensitive to truth. :laugh: I literally just mentioned your team because, you know - it's obvious, but you couldn't handle it.

Where'd you make it this year? Retool is going pretty well. Maybe that'll be my new nickname for you. BlueDream the Re-Tool sounds good.
We will achieve just as much as your Caps. Oh shoot you'll probably lose to the Penguins again. Maybe next year!

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Most of the teams that missed the playoffs are already in a rebuild and just need to stay the course and add to their core.

Detroit and Montreal are not rebuilding but they need to.

Edmonton missed but I believe they will bounce back.

Calgary's and Minnesota's core is not good enough. They are destined to be average, bubble teams. They should be looking at a retool.

Washington (if they lose), Anaheim, San Jose (if they lose) should probably retool.

Toronto and Winnipeg should stay the course and be patient.

Tampa, Nashville, Boston, Pittsburgh are legit contenders. If any of them don't win the cup should only be looking at minor tweaks or even nothing at all.

Some teams I'm not too sure of like LA and Vegas and Ottawa

Reactions: MasterMatt25

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad