2nd goalie: some AHLer
3rd goalie: some Junior

• Haha
Reactions: Eye of Ra

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
It would be interesting to know how USA Hockey operates when they are building WC roster. Do they even approach some of these top tier guys at all. It just feels that so early on decent players like Pinto are in the conversation and it is the same thing every year. Sometimes it feels like they want to give an opportunity only for these younger guys and then they need to fill rest of the roster with fourth liners who could not otherwise play in the national team.
I think its more they get turned down by the A, B, and C option almost immediately. That said, Pinto is a good player and would be a solid add.

Pinto first posible name? :D my roster prediction:

Bordeleau - Pinto - Bjork
Megna - Boyd - Pitlick
Joshua - Dries - MacDonald
Greenway - Cates - Erne

York - Peeke
Bayreuther - McWard
Schueneman - Kaiser
Thrun

1st goalie: some secondary NHLer
2nd goalie: some AHLer
3rd goalie: some Junior
You probably aren't far off. Lol.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
It would be interesting to know how USA Hockey operates when they are building WC roster. Do they even approach some of these top tier guys at all. It just feels that so early on decent players like Pinto are in the conversation and it is the same thing every year. Sometimes it feels like they want to give an opportunity only for these younger guys and then they need to fill rest of the roster with fourth liners who could not otherwise play in the national team.
When Drury took the reigns ,one year, he was very agressive. And got one of the best US WC teams assembled in a long time. Chris did something right in his conversations.

But as it was just explained (not hard to figure out). The US GM offers to top tier players and then the inevitable post of "Chris Weidman has excepted" LoL. No disrespect to the player.

Kind of an fun indicator, to US fans, that most of the better NHL players have declined. And it's AHL, NCAA and European based US players from then on in for players accepting.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
When Drury took the reigns ,one year, he was very agressive. And got one of the best US WC teams assembled in a long time. Chris did something right in his conversations.

But as it was just explained (not hard to figure out). The US GM offers to top tier players and then the inevitable post of "Chris Weidman has excepted" LoL. No disrespect to the player.

Kind of an fun indicator, to US fans, that most of the better NHL players have declined. And it's AHL, NCAA and European based US players from then on in for players accepting.

It is pretty unreal considering that there are every year more and more Americans in the NHL. I don't buy it that is just about the tournament itself. USA Hockey is doing something wrong or then they accepted years ago that this is a good place to promote some younger guys and hope that it can boost their name for upcoming season. End of the day USA Hockey is not only chasing success in international competitions but they also want to have as many players in the NHL as possible. I think it was stated somewhere that eventually they want to have more players in the league than Canada.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Given the Hughes family's connections to USA Hockey that is a bit surprising.

If New Jersey is eliminated in the first round any chance all three go?

Maybe? I feel like it should be yes given how close they are and that they've never really had the chance to play together in a meaningful way. But then again, who knows with American players and this tournament.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Hopefully we get Johnny Gaudreau - he has a history of attendance when he's able to. Though I know he's got a ~9 month old baby so he might pass this go round...

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Hope they invite Tommy Novak from the Preds. 41 pts in 49 games was not remotely expected, but it's in line with how well he has played.

I guess Ryan McDonagh is technically also "available" from the Preds, but his odometer maybe suggests he wouldn't be into it? :dunno:

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Hope they invite Tommy Novak from the Preds. 41 pts in 49 games was not remotely expected, but it's in line with how well he has played.

I guess Ryan McDonagh is technically also "available" from the Preds, but his odometer maybe suggests he wouldn't be into it? :dunno:

I imagine Novak is a top target. I'm sure they'd ask McDonagh but I'd be shocked if he played.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

JTD

Apr 7, 2016
USA
With the Pens being eliminated, would be nice to get one of Guentzel and Rust. Both would be awesome obviously. Drew O’Connor is a RFA but I could see him playing for the US. He’s been underutilized in Pittsburgh for a couple years now and a breakout at the worlds could land him a little better deal with a chance at a bigger role on another team next season

Last edited:

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Noah Cates sounds like a good guess. Lot of big names out of the playoffs so they should be able to secure least couple of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad