Olympics: Team Usa Roster 2018 olympics

KingBrian

Jan 25, 2015
St. Louis
Predict the potential lines-up for teams in 2018 Olympics (assuming the nhl allows their players to play)
I'll start with team Usa, tell me if I missed anybody, love to hear your feedback
Forwards
Kane-Eichel-Kessel
Parise-T.Johnson-Pominville*
Foligno-Matthews-Okposo
Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Pavelski
Ryan-van Riemsdyk
If Pominville decides to retire early, I would replace him with Saad*....Auston Matthews and Eichel should be stars in the nhl by 2018
Defense
Suter- Byfuglien
McDonagh-Jones
Faulk-Shattenkirk
Hanifin-Carlson
Goalie
Jonathan Quick
Cory Schneider
Ben Bishop
Captain: Parise
Alternate: Suter
Alternate: Pavelski
Forward Scrubs: Stastny, Kesler, Brown, Backes, Oshie, Wheeler, Steve Mose (I could see him making the team)
Defense Scrubs: J. Johnson, Yandle, Fowler, Bogosian, E.Johnson, Leddy
Goalie: Gibson, Howard
******* This is honestly the strongest team that America has ever sent to the Olympics, and I could see this team completing with even the best of teams****

Last edited:

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Predict the potential lines-up for teams in 2018 Olympics (assuming the nhl allows their players to play)
I'll start with team Usa, tell me if I missed anybody, love to hear your feedback
Forwards
Kane-Eichel-Kessel
Parise-T.Johnson-Pominville*
Foligno-Matthews-Okposo
Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Pavelski
Ryan-van Riemsdyk
If Pominville decides to retire early, I would replace him with Saad*....Auston Matthews and Eichel should be stars in the nhl by 2018
Defense
Suter- Byfuglien
McDonagh-Jones
Faulk-Shattenkirk
Hanifin-Carlson
Goalie
Jonathan Quick
Cory Schneider
Ben Bishop
Captain: Parise
Alternate: Suter
Alternate: Pavelski
Forward Scrubs: Stastny, Kesler, Brown, Backes, Oshie, Wheeler, Steve Mose (I could see him making the team)
Defense Scrubs: J. Johnson, Yandle, Fowler, Bogosian, E.Johnson, Leddy
Goalie: Gibson, Howard
******* This is honestly the strongest team that America has ever sent to the Olympics, and I could see this team completing with even the best of teams****

No Trouba? you want him over Bogo..

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
Gaudreau-Eichel-Kane
Paciorety-Johnson-Kessel
Foligno-Pavelski-Okposo
Galchenyuk-Mathews-Parise
Wheeler, Bjugstad, Saad, Larkin, Oshie, Ryan, Nelson

Faulk-Carlson
Suter-Byfuglien
Shattenkirk-McDonagh
Jones-Trouba
Erik Johnson, Hanafin, Fowler, Yandle, Krug, Leddy, DeKeyser

Schneider
Quick
Bishop
Gibson

Eichel should be the #1 center for the US by then.

James Laverance

Feb 12, 2013
Gaudreau-Eichel-Kane
Paciorety-Johnson-Kessel
Foligno-Pavelski-Okposo
Galchenyuk-Mathews-Parise
Wheeler, Bjugstad, Saad, Larkin, Oshie, Ryan, Nelson

Faulk-Carlson
Suter-Byfuglien
Shattenkirk-McDonagh
Jones-Trouba
Erik Johnson, Hanafin, Fowler, Yandle, Krug, Leddy, DeKeyser

Schneider
Quick
Bishop
Gibson

Eichel should be the #1 center for the US by then.

^:sarcasm:^

Finally someone picked Gaudreau on the top line!

What is it with these roster predictions and player format limitations(World Cup) I've been reading about?

It's too bad that we have to wait until 2018 (Assuming that NHL will allow Pro's for the Olympics)
To see players like Eichel,Gaudreau,Kane,Kessel (although low production at times he will have played with Crosby and Malkin by then),T.Johnson,Suter,Martinez (Clutch), and Jonathan Quick grouped together on the same team.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Pacioretty Eichel Kane
Saad Johnson Kessel
Gaudreau Stepan Wheeler
Parise Galchenyuk Pavelski
Kreider Bjugstad

Suter Faulk
McDonagh Shattenkirk
Jones Trouba
E. Johnson Carlson

Schneider
Quick
Gibson

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Saad-Johnson-Kane
Pacioretty-Eichel-Wheeler
Parise-Stepan-Kessel
Pavelski-Kesler-Backes
Bjugstad, Gaudreau

You could do a lot of mixing and matching for the forward group just to find chemistry. I like the idea of having a big, powerful line centered by Eichel though.

Suter-Faulk
McDonagh-Carlson
E. Johnson-Shattenkirk
Fowler, Trouba

Ideally Hanifin would be ready, but that's a lot to ask for 2018 IMO.

Quick
Schneider
Gibson

Gibson just for experience. I realize Bishop is still there.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I think Fowler and Jones will be there over McDonagh and possibly E.Johnson.
The same for Bjugstad and Gaudreau over Parise. :)

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think a lot of this team will depend on whether a 22 year old Eichel and a 21 year old Matthews can be top-6 centers at this level. I think there is a decent chance that they are: After all, Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews, and Drew Doughty were dominant players at the Olympics at that age.

If so, a center depth of T. Johnson-Eichel-Matthews would be pretty solid. It obviously would be on par with the Canadians but it would be much better than anything we've seen in a while, including 2010 when the US barely lost to Canada. The US will still obviously be strong on the wings (Kane, Kessel, Pacioretty, Saad), at D (Faulk, Trouba, McDonagh, Jones, Carlson, Shattenkirk, Leddy, and Suter), and at G (Schneider, Quick, Gibson, Bishop, etc.). But they could finally have the playmaking centers to get the most out of those wingers; Pavelski, Kesler, and Backes are anything but playmakers.

Here's my stab:

Pacioretty-Eichel-Kane
Saad-T. Johnson-Kessel
Gaudreau-Matthews-Parise
Kreider/Galchenyuk-Stepan-Wheeler
Pavelski

McDonagh-Faulk
Suter-Carlson
Trouba-Jones
Leddy-Shattenkirk

Schneider
Quick
Gibson

I think this team will 100% depend on how well the young (U22) players develop. Will Galchenyuk develop into a player worthy of a 3rd overall selection? One hopes, considering how often he is voted as the best player from the 2012 draft. Will Saad, Kreider, and Gaudreau take the next step from good player to great player? Will Eichel and Matthews be ready? Will Trouba and Jones hit their ceilings? Will Faulk keep up his Norris-caliber play? Will Hanifin, like Doughty, be ready to play at barely 21 years old?

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I think a lot of this team will depend on whether a 22 year old Eichel and a 21 year old Matthews can be top-6 centers at this level.

Eichel will be 21 in February 2018. Matthews will be 20.

Last edited by a moderator:

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Interesting to see that the last three line-ups don't have Okposo down yet only Kane from the US has more points per game past 2 seasons...

Also curious to see how it shakes out, the way that US brass treated Okposo and Ryan last time. They embarrassed themselves and had no class. Makes me wonder about the people in charge.

Also, watch out for Brock Nelson. He was more impressive than Eichel, on the same line in the recent tourney and very well could make the team with his combination of size, skill and 2 way play.

and his one of a kind USA Olympic pedigree can't hurt either...

Nelson's uncle Dave Christian was on the 1980 United States Miracle on Ice gold medal team, and his grandfather, Bill Christian, and great uncle, Roger Christian, were both on the 1960 United States gold medal team and founded Christian Brothers, a company that made hockey sticks from 1964 to 2003.[3] Another great uncle, Gordon Christian played for the United States at the 1956 Winter Olympics, capturing a silver medal

edit: and Leddy just had a very strong year for the Isles at 23. His possession numbers were among the best of all D. He should be primed and set for 2018 and should make the team.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Pacioretty Eichel Kane
Saad Johnson Kessel
Gaudreau Stepan Wheeler
Parise Galchenyuk Pavelski
Kreider Bjugstad

Suter Faulk
McDonagh Shattenkirk
Jones Trouba
E. Johnson Carlson

Schneider
Quick
Gibson

Saad-Eichel-Kane
Gaudreau-Johnson-Kessel (Scary speed)
Parise-Stepan-Patches
Pavelski-Bjugstad-Kreider
Backes

Suter-Jones
McDonagh-Trouba
Fowler-E.Johnson
Carlson

Goalies same

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Saad-Eichel-Kane
Gaudreau-Johnson-Kessel (Scary speed)
Parise-Stepan-Patches
Pavelski-Bjugstad-Kreider
Backes

Suter-Jones
McDonagh-Trouba
Fowler-E.Johnson
Carlson

Goalies same

Awful lines.

And Pacioretty is a LW and has never played RW. You probably want one of the top 5 ES goal scorers in the NHL to be on his proper side and on the top 6.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
This roster could defiantly compete in 2018;

Saad - Eichel - Kane
Gaudreau - Johnson - Kessel
Pacioretty - Kesler - Parise
Pavelski- Stepan - Okposo
Galchenyuk/Wheeler/Backes/Matthews*

Suter - Jones
Shattenkirk - McDonagh
Faulk- Byfuglien
Leddy/Trouba

Schneider/Gibson
Quick

*Depends on how he develops. Can see him snagging a spot as 3c

This was off the top of my head, I'm sure I missed someone...

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Awful lines.

And Pacioretty is a LW and has never played RW. You probably want one of the top 5 ES goal scorers in the NHL to be on his proper side and on the top 6.

come on, every US roster is awful ;)

just a bit of teasing -)

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Eichel as #1 centre? That could be a deterrent for Team USA no matter how good a centre Eichel's supposed to be.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Eichel as #1 centre? That could be a deterrent for Team USA no matter how good a centre Eichel's supposed to be.

He's supposed to be a franchise centerman bordering on a generational talent, if he's as good as he's projected to be, I legit believe he would be the starting center on every roster save for Canada's, and frankly I think he'd be ONE of the centers.

I think he's going to be amazing.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I think Eichel can definitely be a #1 center for the US in 2018. McDavid would've been too in that time imo, of course it will be still Crosby imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad