Team Sweden - Olympics 2014

romelson

Dec 19, 2007
Ornskoldsvik
35 Players has been selected for a pre-olympic "get-together" in mid-august 2013.

Goalies
Jhonas Enroth
Viktor Fasth
Robin Lehner
Henrik Lundqvist

Defensemen
Jonas Brodin
Alexander Edler
Oliver Ekman Larsson
Jonathan Ericsson
Nicklas Grossman
Erik Gustafsson
Victor Hedman
Niklas Hjalmarsson
Erik Karlsson
Niklas Kronwall
Douglas Murray
Johnny Oduya
Henrik Tallinder

Forwards
Patrik Berglund
Nicklas Bäckström
Jimmie Ericsson
Loui Eriksson
Johan Franzén
Carl Hagelin
Patric Hörnqvist
Marcus Johansson
Marcus Krüger
Gabriel Landeskog
Oscar Lindberg
Joel Lundqvist
Gustav Nyquist
Niklas Persson
Daniel Sedin
Henrik Sedin
Alexander Steen
Henrik Zetterberg

plattnacken

Jan 4, 2010
Enström and Alfie?
I think the final squad should consist of nhl-players only, there's enough to fill all spots. No sel/khl players is good enough.
Our defense will be very strong.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Nyquist being named is pretty interesting, imo. I see Enström's omission as a bit of a punishment for not showing up previously, it's hard to win a D spot on this team if you don't.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Surprised that Staffan isn't on there. Not that he should be.

He's probably the only one in Europe I wouldn't be terribly upset to see on the final team, it would probably take an injury or two though. I really can't see anyone else being good enough to take a spot from the NHL'ers.

Elias Lindholm is my wildcard here, he has the potential to lead the SEL in scoring next season with good wingers, it's not very likely though. He could be used as an energy guy on a bottom line with some skill. I doubt MÃ¥rts has him on the radar right now though, he is still very young.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
This is a quite frustrating list to see. We obviously need more right shooters. MÃ¥rts definitely need to add the following players to the pre-squad:

Jakob Markström (Could have a break through season)

Adam Larsson (Could have a break through season. Shoots right)
David Rundblad (Could have a break trough season and be a good PP addition)
Tobias Enström (Much better than for example Erik Gustafsson. His speed is well suited for big ice)

Jakob Silfverberg (Could have a break through season. Shoots right)
Daniel Alfredsson (Is not retired yet. Brings leadership and shoots right)
Mika Zibanejad (Could have a break through season. Shoots right)
Mikael Backlund (Could have a break through season. Better option than Oscar Lindberg)
Magnus Pääjärvi (Could have a break through season. We need more speed amongst forwards on the team)

These players should be cut:

Niklas Persson
Jimmie Ericsson
Joel Lundqvist
Oscar Lindberg

I can't see what any of them would bring to a best-on-best tournament.

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
Nyquist being named is pretty interesting, imo.
Hoping he could get some chemistry going with Z next season? Franzén-Zetterberg-Nyquist could be a Sochi line.

Lines based on those 18 forwards.

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson
Landeskog - Bäckström - Hörnqvist
Franzén - Zetterberg - Nyquist
Steen - Berglund - Johansson

Hagelin - Lundqvist - Krüger
Persson - Lindberg - Ericsson

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Hoping he could get some chemistry going with Z next season? Franzén-Zetterberg-Nyquist could be a Sochi line.

Lines based on those 18 forwards.

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson
Landeskog - Bäckström - Hörnqvist
Franzén - Zetterberg - Nyquist
Steen - Berglund - Johansson

Hagelin - Lundqvist - Krüger
Persson - Lindberg - Ericsson

Yeah, I could see it. Nyquist's skill trumps most of his challengers, it's whether he can adapt his game to that level. I can see him nab a top6 spot with Detroit next season and if he does he'll play with them regularly.

Btw I'm not reading too much into the list at this point. I still think Silfverberg, Zibanejad et al. are going to push hard for spots.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
This is a quite frustrating list to see. We obviously need more right shooters. MÃ¥rts definitely need to add the following players to the pre-squad:

Tobias Enström (Much better than for example Erik Gustafsson. His speed is well suited for big ice)

Mikael Backlund (Could have a break through season. Better option than Oscar Lindberg)
Magnus Pääjärvi (Could have a break through season. We need more speed amongst forwards on the team)

Niklas Persson
Jimmie Ericsson
Joel Lundqvist
Oscar Lindberg

Rundblad, seriously? And I don't think Backlund is a better option than Lindberg.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Scrimmage:

Team YELLOW:

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Loui Eriksson
Gabriel Landeskog - Nicklas Bäckström - Patric Hörnqvist
Henrik Zetterberg - Alexander Steen - Johan Franzén

Erik Karlsson - Victor Hedman
Niklas Kronwall - Jonathan Ericsson
Niklas Hjalmarsson - Johnny Oduya

Lundqvist
Lehner

Team BLUE:

Gustav Nyquist - Patrik Berglund - Carl Hagelin
Oscar Lindberg - Marcus Krüger - Jimmie Ericsson
Niklas Persson - Joel Lundqvist - Marcus Johansson*

Oliver Ekman Larsson - Alexander Edler
Erik Gustafsson - Henrik Tallinder
Jonas Brodin - Nicklas Grossman

Enroth
Fasth

Referee: Douglas Murray (beats anyone Blue and Yellow) and Fredrik Pettersson (never hesitates)

Taxi Jet:

Jakob Markström

Tobias Enström

Daniel Alfredsson or Mika Zibanejad (Shoots, right?)

Last edited:

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Persson will be going to the NLA next season, that should probably hurt his chances (at least I hope so).

Carries the tradition to Switzerland through russian border, Ukraine, Belarus, Latvia, Estonia, Lithium, the Pole and Germany, hell even the olympic FIRE is his!

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

Niklas Persson
Jimmie Ericsson
Joel Lundqvist
Oscar Lindberg

I wouldn't say much better, but alright. The point is that Gustafsson was the best defenseman on the gold winning team (and one of the best in the entire tournament) in the WHC on big ice... Ergo, Marts knows that he can rely on Gustafsson to perform and I think that will tip the scale in his favor. Not only against Enstrom, but against many others as well. I would be very surprised if Gustafsson is not on our team come Sochi.

EDIT: I am not saying Enstrom shouldn't have made the list, I just think you went off a bit with Enstrom vs Gustafsson.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
I wouldn't say much better, but alright. The point is that Gustafsson was the best defenseman on the gold winning team (and one of the best in the entire tournament) in the WHC on big ice... Ergo, Marts knows that he can rely on Gustafsson to perform and I think that will tip the scale in his favor. Not only against Enstrom, but against many others as well. I would be very surprised if Gustafsson is not on our team come Sochi.

EDIT: I am not saying Enstrom shouldn't have made the list, I just think you went off a bit with Enstrom vs Gustafsson.

There is a huge difference between playing WCH and a best on best OG tournament. The competition and skill level is on a much higher level in the OG. If Marts think WCH and OG are the same thing, he is really out for lunch. Having success in a tournament with a level of play being below NHL standards doesn't automatically make you good enough for a best on best tournament, where the skill level is even better than NHL.
Enstrom is a top 15 defender in the NHL, while Gustafsson still being a fringe player. Enstrom has proven he can play on a really high level, while Gustafsson has not. (This is also why players like Persson shouldn't be close to making the team). Gustafsson may very well have a breakthrough season in the NHL next season and earn a spot on the team. But at this point Enstrom is clearly a front runner for me.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
There is a huge difference between playing WCH and a best on best OG tournament. The competition and skill level is on a much higher level in the OG. If Marts think WCH and OG are the same thing, he is really out for lunch. Having success in a tournament with a level of play being below NHL standards doesn't automatically make you good enough for a best on best tournament, where the skill level is even better than NHL.
Enstrom is a top 15 defender in the NHL, while Gustafsson still being a fringe player. Enstrom has proven he can play on a really high level, while Gustafsson has not. (This is also why players like Persson shouldn't be close to making the team). Gustafsson may very well have a breakthrough season in the NHL next season and earn a spot on the team. But at this point Enstrom is clearly a front runner for me.

Fair enough, I may not agree completely with your position on this but I definitely see your point. Enstrom > Gustafsson without a doubt, but when we're talking about who's the best match for SWE there are other things that need to be considered. For example: Oduya and Ericsson are not amongst our top 7-8 defensemen but it is very possible that they make the team anyway thanks to them being part of a pair (Hjalmarsson / Oduya, Kronwall / Ericsson).

Hands down I don't think Gustafsson is amongst the top 7-8 eithe,r but even though the Olympics is not the same as the World Championships Marts will most likely think both twice and trice before cutting him seeing as he did so well. By the way I think that Gustafsson's best game was in the quarter final against Canada and that was no walk in the park..

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Fair enough, I may not agree completely with your position on this but I definitely see your point. Enstrom > Gustafsson without a doubt, but when we're talking about who's the best match for SWE there are other things that need to be considered. For example: Oduya and Ericsson are not amongst our top 7-8 defensemen but it is very possible that they make the team anyway thanks to them being part of a pair (Hjalmarsson / Oduya, Kronwall / Ericsson).

Hands down I don't think Gustafsson is amongst the top 7-8 eithe,r but even though the Olympics is not the same as the World Championships Marts will most likely think both twice and trice before cutting him seeing as he did so well. By the way I think that Gustafsson's best game was in the quarter final against Canada and that was no walk in the park..

Sometimes it's better to not have a whole crew of big names. Gustafsson could play small minutes like he's used to, a guy like Hedman is probably better when he gets to play a lot. I also agree that Gustafsson played very well against Canada, playing that well against Stamkos and Giroux is pretty impressive and he showed he's capable of doing that on big ice. Enstrom's chances would be much better if he'd played in a recent WC (which he had no interest in doing, he never really had good excuses either).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad