WC: Team Sweden 2019 roster part II

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
How would you grade the Swedes against Finland, 1-5?

I missed the game. :/
1. Loui and Kempe were so bad and Loui got awarded for his shit play by getting BIG minutes, which killed every kind of momentum Sweden could gather.

Also, Grönborg's HC legacy with Tre Kronor:

World Cup 2016: Big failure.
Worlds 2017: Gold with stacked team.
Olympics 2018: Colossal failure.
Worlds 2018: Gold with stacked team.
Worlds 2019: Colossal failure.

Reactions: canswetoxic

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
So, I thought I'd rate the team in a similar way to what I used to do for Leafs games. Here goes:

Overall Verdict
This was a very disappointing tournament. I said even before the game against Russia that this team won't get past the quarter finals. Our overall performance was just too weak, there were flaws in pretty much every part of our game. This will go down in my memory as one of our most underwhelming tournaments in a long time, only salvaged by a borderline historic performance by one forward, and some more individual brilliance by some others.

This was also the tournament that cemented the need in Swedish hockey to develop good coaches that can be used for the national team. Grönborg is a dreadful coach, and so are most of the coaches we have in our national team system. We don't have to go further than to look across the ice to see what good coaching can do. Jalonen is a terrific pro coach who translates that into international success. We don't have anyone like him.

Great
Nylander - Probably should have a tier of his own. The last time a Swede scored like him, it was at a time when they played teams like Japan and won with 18-0.
Hörnqvist - Looked like a perfect linemate for Nylander, opening up space and finishing a lot of plays in close.
Pettersson, E. - Might be a bit controversial considering his slow start, but I think he was mainly snakebit early. Drew a ton of penalties too.

Good
Landeskog - He was good, he just wasn't great like we needed him to be. Good effort, strong board play, didn't create enough in the offensive zone.
Wennberg - Got a ton of points, but it felt like he was a bit of a complementary player on that line. However, he really combined well with Nylander.
Kempe - Kempe can sometimes be that kind of player who skates nowhere very fast. I think he used his speed and shot well this tournament though.
Larsson - I've noticed that some didn't like him. I disagree. I thought he complemented his usual strength with an active style, played a two-way game.

Average
Krüger - Honestly, I expected him to be worse. Did good on the PK, and held his own as a fourth line option.
Rasmussen - Really didn't mind him as a fourth line. Borderline one step up. He did really well in his role, on the PK, and also showed that he can make plays.
Bratt - I really liked the Bratt's game, unfortunately he didn't get much out of it. That might be because he wasn't put in a position to succeed like he should have.
OEL - A bit unsure about this one. I like his game a lot, he brought quite a bit of positives, but there were also plenty of times where he was underwhelming.
Ekholm - Another player that I expected better from. Felt like he tried to do too much sometimes, instead of relying on his usual solid but way-winning game.

Bad
Lander - Lander got lauded a lot in the studios and such, but to me that was the usual glorification of effort. His play was underwhelming, and only scored on weak teams.
Lindholm - In a way, I'd put him one step lower. If this was based on expectations, he would be. Absolute no-show for someone who should have been a top player for us.
Lindblom - I kind of liked Lindblom, he showed that he's got some qualities and I'd much rather have him up the lineup than some of the others.
Klingberg - Had huge expectations of this guy, but he brought more negatives than positives in my opinion. Big disappointment.
Gustafsson - Had some nice plays, but I'll remember him for a dozen bad pinches and weak play in his own zone.
Pettersson, M. - He kind of embodied the team we became in the Finland game. Weak under pressure, simple but ineffective plays.
Lundqvist - He's the best goaltender we've ever had, but in this tournament he was a liability. Always managed to play himself up from awful, but that's about it.

Awful
Eriksson - Did not deserve to be on the roster, should have been the first guy out of the lineup, and somehow ended up with big minutes instead. Babcockian decision.
Hägg - Dreadful even against really bad opponents. Shouldn't have been on the team.
Markström - Didn't really play a lot, but he looked really, really bad against Russia. We gave him no help for sure, but pucks squeaked through him over and over.
Grönborg - I'm "blessed" with the opportunity to watch Babcock coach 89 times per year. Grönborg is like him, only worse. Everything from lineup decisions to ice time distribution, tactical preparations to in-game adaptation. When the going got tough, Grönborg kept Nylander on the bench and fed Loui minutes. That says enough.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Loui played more than Nylander (who was 7th in ice time among forwards). Quality coaching.
The coach turtled pretty early and just prayed to survive, and it spread to the players. Nylander didn't get the puck a lot this game, and a lot of credit for that goes to Finland who funneled the puck away from him, but that doesn't mean you stop using him. Even if he doesn't help us score to get us back in the game, his ability to take control of the puck would have helped us get a breather and break the momentum.

Instead we somehow leaned on a line that was getting absolutely destroyed out there.

Reactions: Chimp and Slimmy

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Hejsan Swedes.
I read something after the game Henrik Lundqvist is considering retirement in national team is that true?
King Henrik has had great career and he shouldn't shame on it he did what he could vs Finland but he isn't guilty Sweden's loss.

Who ever replace him in Swedish net next year has big skates to fill.
Does Sweden even have any young good goalies coming to men's national team in couple of years.

I understand all you guys are disappointed right now but there is always next year.
You had unbelievable NHL team this year but some reason they couldn't win us ( Finland ).
Hockey isn't fair sometimes and when game goes to overtime it can go either way.
Thanks for great game maybe next year is Sweden's turn to win quarterfinal game vs Finland.

Tack Sverige
Vi ses i nästa år.

Thank you Sweden
See you next year.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
How would you grade the Swedes against Finland, 1-5?

I missed the game. :/

As a Finn i would grade Sweden 4 they did their best and that's all what you can ask.
Lundqvist in Sweden's net didn't have his best day vs Finland but he isn't guilty to Sweden's loss.

Being honest Sweden played OK but not great and OK game isn't necessarily enough to win any kind of medal.
Both teams caused troubles to each others and game itself was very exciting and entertaining.

These world championships elimination games can always go either way and anything can happen.
I get that Sweden really wanted win vs Finland but small margins were against of you guys ( Swedes) this time.

Thanks for great game and see you next year.
Tack Så mycket Sverige.

matsqq

Jan 3, 2011
We really can't complain in regards to titles and performance the last years, 2 WC golds and we also became the most succcessful european team along with Russia in the "World Cup of Hockey" (last best on best) where we reached the semis and lost to "Team Europe".

But in the world cup of hockey against "team Europe" I saw the same thing as yesterday against Finland: Players played with extreme tension but I also believe that they feel strangled by the system that Grönborg tries to incur.

They seemed mechanical in movements and not at all playing by heart, but with that part of the brain responsible for long term thinking. Not by intuition but unable to relax and just play.

It was also a lot of tension, because they clearly felt they "should win" the game. But as I say, I think tacticals orders were so strong that they stopped playing by intuition ...

Not to retract from Suomi:s performace which was really excellent at such level that they might probably win anyway - but just regarding team Swedens performance - did you also see it the same way that I did ?

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
As a Finn i would grade Sweden 4 they did their best and that's all what you can ask.
Lundqvist in Sweden's net didn't have his best day vs Finland but he isn't guilty to Sweden's loss.

Being honest Sweden played OK but not great and OK game isn't necessarily enough to win any kind of medal.
Both teams caused troubles to each others and game itself was very exciting and entertaining.

These world championships elimination games can always go either way and anything can happen.
I get that Sweden really wanted win vs Finland but small margins were against of you guys ( Swedes) this time.

Thanks for great game and see you next year.
Tack Så mycket Sverige.
Lol, get outta here. A Sweden at 4 would've trashed this Finnish team.

Sweden was at most a 2. The defensive part was dogshit, Hank let in 2 softies, and Loui friggin Eriksson got to play more than Nylander while Bratt got least ice time, Landeskog wasn't himself, Lindholm was more a liability than anything.

Calling Sweden a 4 in this game is only something a Finn would do for reasons to make themselves look better.

Reactions: Chimp

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg
So, I'm a bit confused about something.

SVT and Aftonbladet are talking about how Nylander tied the record with 18 points. But earlier on they were talking about 17 points, which fits with pretty much every source I've found, from eliteprospects through older articles and such. Suddenly it's 18 points, a number I only found on a fan site.
I've seen 18 all the way, from guys like Uffe Bodin. But yesterday when Nylander scored his 18th point Hockeysverige called it a new record on twitter.

On Eliteprospects it says 17 points for Nisse Nilsson but it looks like they're missing a goal. I counted all the player's goals and it totals at 66. On the wiki page for the -62 championhips Team Sweden's goals amounts at 67. EP is one goal short and I think it's Nisse Nilsson's goal, making it 18 points for him.

Here's a source saying 18 pts Championnats du monde de hockey sur glace 1962

Reactions: Nithoniniel

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Hejsan Swedes.
I read something after the game Henrik Lundqvist is considering retirement in national team is that true?
King Henrik has had great career and he shouldn't shame on it he did what he could vs Finland but he isn't guilty Sweden's loss.

Who ever replace him in Swedish net next year has big skates to fill.
Does Sweden even have any young good goalies coming to men's national team in couple of years.

I understand all you guys are disappointed right now but there is always next year.
You had unbelievable NHL team this year but some reason they couldn't win us ( Finland ).
Hockey isn't fair sometimes and when game goes to overtime it can go either way.
Thanks for great game maybe next year is Sweden's turn to win quarterfinal game vs Finland.

Tack Sverige
Vi ses i nästa år.

Thank you Sweden
See you next year.
Hank doesn't care about this game lol, what you read is false, Finnish media at its best maybe? What he said is he doesn't know if they'll give him a chance again(hint: they shouldn't). Rangers broke Hank this season, something snapped after half the NHL season had passed by and he never looked like Hank again.

Some reason we lost? Grönborg is the name.

And ya we only got Robin Lehner, a guy nominated for the Vezina this year.

Then Markström who played well this uear but got run over by a Finnish player who seems to enjoy doing that as he keeps on doing it.

Younger there's for example Gusstavsson, Ersson, Larsson, and the biggest of them all: Jesper Wallstedt.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Grönborg has two good tournaments under his belt, and then a myriad of failures. This year, last olympics, and last world cup were big failures. Then you have his embarrasing U18 and U20 NT career.

Guy played Loui Eriksson more minutes than William Nylander against Finland, and has never managed to ever get a Sweden at even 80%, even the gold's and path to them were much harder than they should've been, much thanks to him.

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
I think its more than that, up to players too, like petterson said finland was very good and deaerden a lot of credit, they were good

Finland has started to play high pace high presure hockey

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I think its more than that, up to players too, like petterson said finland was very good and deaerden a lot of credit, they were good

Finland has started to play high pace high presure hockey
Let's put it this way: When Russia scored 6 goals on Sweden during the 2nd period, Grönborg did absolutely nothing. His answer to why he didn't even take a timeout was: "It's not a guarantee it will change anything." So he did nothing.

His coaching against Finland? Play his worst players the most during crunch time and bench his best players during long stretches. Absolutely ridiculous. He would've done less damage if he would've been a bad, Russian coach and just rolled all lines evenly.

Reactions: king89 and Exarz

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Lol, get outta here. A Sweden at 4 would've trashed this Finnish team.

Sweden was at most a 2. The defensive part was dog****, Hank let in 2 softies, and Loui friggin Eriksson got to play more than Nylander while Bratt got least ice time, Landeskog wasn't himself, Lindholm was more a liability than anything.

Calling Sweden a 4 in this game is only something a Finn would do for reasons to make themselves look better.
Of course the Finns want to rate the Swedes at a 4, because they want to passively pump up their own team. Neither of these teams are winning any medals. I would also rate the Swedish performance as a weak 2. They never played a good game during the entire tournament and Grönborg had zero answers, except for playing his slowest, coldest players even more.
Do you think Lundqvist has played his last game for Sweden?
He should. He's getting old and he should just retire after his NYR contract is over. Did he even manage to stay above 80% in saving percentage this tournament? Just barely. He had tough games, but still... that's not exactly top goaltending.

Last edited:

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
So, I thought I'd rate the team in a similar way to what I used to do for Leafs games. Here goes:

Overall Verdict
This was a very disappointing tournament. I said even before the game against Russia that this team won't get past the quarter finals. Our overall performance was just too weak, there were flaws in pretty much every part of our game. This will go down in my memory as one of our most underwhelming tournaments in a long time, only salvaged by a borderline historic performance by one forward, and some more individual brilliance by some others.

This was also the tournament that cemented the need in Swedish hockey to develop good coaches that can be used for the national team. Grönborg is a dreadful coach, and so are most of the coaches we have in our national team system. We don't have to go further than to look across the ice to see what good coaching can do. Jalonen is a terrific pro coach who translates that into international success. We don't have anyone like him.

Great
Nylander - Probably should have a tier of his own. The last time a Swede scored like him, it was at a time when they played teams like Japan and won with 18-0.
Hörnqvist - Looked like a perfect linemate for Nylander, opening up space and finishing a lot of plays in close.
Pettersson, E. - Might be a bit controversial considering his slow start, but I think he was mainly snakebit early. Drew a ton of penalties too.

Good
Landeskog - He was good, he just wasn't great like we needed him to be. Good effort, strong board play, didn't create enough in the offensive zone.
Wennberg - Got a ton of points, but it felt like he was a bit of a complementary player on that line. However, he really combined well with Nylander.
Kempe - Kempe can sometimes be that kind of player who skates nowhere very fast. I think he used his speed and shot well this tournament though.
Larsson - I've noticed that some didn't like him. I disagree. I thought he complemented his usual strength with an active style, played a two-way game.

Average
Krüger - Honestly, I expected him to be worse. Did good on the PK, and held his own as a fourth line option.
Rasmussen - Really didn't mind him as a fourth line. Borderline one step up. He did really well in his role, on the PK, and also showed that he can make plays.
Bratt - I really liked the Bratt's game, unfortunately he didn't get much out of it. That might be because he wasn't put in a position to succeed like he should have.
OEL - A bit unsure about this one. I like his game a lot, he brought quite a bit of positives, but there were also plenty of times where he was underwhelming.
Ekholm - Another player that I expected better from. Felt like he tried to do too much sometimes, instead of relying on his usual solid but way-winning game.

Bad
Lander - Lander got lauded a lot in the studios and such, but to me that was the usual glorification of effort. His play was underwhelming, and only scored on weak teams.
Lindholm - In a way, I'd put him one step lower. If this was based on expectations, he would be. Absolute no-show for someone who should have been a top player for us.
Lindblom - I kind of liked Lindblom, he showed that he's got some qualities and I'd much rather have him up the lineup than some of the others.
Klingberg - Had huge expectations of this guy, but he brought more negatives than positives in my opinion. Big disappointment.
Gustafsson - Had some nice plays, but I'll remember him for a dozen bad pinches and weak play in his own zone.
Pettersson, M. - He kind of embodied the team we became in the Finland game. Weak under pressure, simple but ineffective plays.
Lundqvist - He's the best goaltender we've ever had, but in this tournament he was a liability. Always managed to play himself up from awful, but that's about it.

Awful
Eriksson - Did not deserve to be on the roster, should have been the first guy out of the lineup, and somehow ended up with big minutes instead. Babcockian decision.
Hägg - Dreadful even against really bad opponents. Shouldn't have been on the team.
Markström - Didn't really play a lot, but he looked really, really bad against Russia. We gave him no help for sure, but pucks squeaked through him over and over.
Grönborg - I'm "blessed" with the opportunity to watch Babcock coach 89 times per year. Grönborg is like him, only worse. Everything from lineup decisions to ice time distribution, tactical preparations to in-game adaptation. When the going got tough, Grönborg kept Nylander on the bench and fed Loui minutes. That says enough.
Yeah Sweden never stepped up in any of the big games. The only thing really enjoyable was watching Willy being his old self again, and perhaps looking better defensively and without the puck than ever (especially as a Leafs fan). Hörnqvist was great. So was Pettersson, but too little too late is what I felt. The rest of the team was underwheming imo. Especially Lindholm, such an underwhelming performance by him this tournament. The lines looked alright, but I don't like Grönborgs coaching either. But at the end of the day it's up to the players to step up, and they didn't.

Reactions: Slimmy

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
So you're saying he should spend more time worrying about hockey and less at the hairdresser's?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad