Team Sweden 2010 - Defending champs

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
2010 (Possible team)

What will Team Sweden look like in Vancouver 2010.

Here are my thoughts - it really does not look too bad for The Defending Gold Medal Champions. But 4 years is 4 laps around the sun and a lot can happen in this meantime.
Some of the old guys might still be playing - but it is really up in the air at the moment. If some of the old timers are honestly motivated, still playing good and likewise healthy - they could be a useful addition. But only if that is so. Otherwise - there will definitely be a major changing of guards. And there will be some unknowners popping up that could make it in 4 years.
Swedes are generally speaking late bloomers - there may be some talent that boosts before Vancouver. The pressure on The North American squads will be harsh - to say the least. I do not think they will settle finishing 7th & 8th in The Olympics again - especially not on North American Ice (Scandinavia was #1 & #2, eASTern eUROPE #3 TO #5 & The Alps #6 in 2006 at Torino !!!).
It will be great and interesting to follow. Toughness and gritty play (not stupid penalties or fighting) will be more of an issue in 2010 - believe me,,, The refs will be much more home crowd oriented as well... Pushing for a USA - Canada final I would presume...

OK

Goalies

Lundqvist
Tellqvist
Holmquist or Heino/Lindberg

Defense

Kronwall - H Tallinder

K Jonsson - M Öhlund

C Bäckman - A Lilja

Possible additions
D Murray, J Oduya, N Wallin, D Tjärnquist, Kronwall #2, J Boumedienne, Grossman, Fernholm,

Last resort - Old timer
N Lidström

Forwards

Swedish Red Wings
Zetterberg - M Samuelsson - Franzen

Stars of 2010 line
Sedin - Sedin - Steen

Bad boy line
Huselius - M. Nilsson -N Ekman

Checking line
Påhlsson - Hedström - M Holmquist

Last resort - The Old timer line (in case of slow development)

Forsberg - Nylander - Alfredsson

Possible additions
N Bäckström, R Nilsson, Tim Eriksson, F Sjöström, N Bergfors, PJ Axelsson, Backlund, Kopitar (changes nationality), SSK Dragan, Joel Lundquist. M Weinhandl

Not too Bad actually. Russia could be deadly tho - if they get a team shrink and a good coach.

Slime

Mar 30, 2003
Sweden
Great goalie and solid defense, but M Samuelsson, J Franzén, K Huselius, N Ekman, M Holmqvist will really be weak names by 2010, and wouldn't fit in any of the other top 6 nation's rosters.
But even if you'd replace those with better players, Sweden will only be ranked as the 6th nation, behind CAN, RUS, FIN, CZE and USA.

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
Slime said:
Great goalie and solid defense, but M Samuelsson, J Franzén, K Huselius, N Ekman, M Holmqvist will really be weak names by 2010, and wouldn't fit in any of the other top 6 nation's rosters.
But even if you'd replace those with better players, Sweden will only be ranked as the 6th nation, behind CAN, RUS, FIN, CZE and USA.

LOL.

OK.

Robert Nilsson, Alex Steen, Oscar Steen, Nicklas Backstrom, Marcus Nilson, Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin, Daniel Alfredsson, Per-Johan Axelsson, Jonathan Hedstrom, Mattias Weinhandl, Oscar, Fredik Modin, Fredrik Sjostrom, Henrik Zetterberg, and so on... many names left out.

But go ahead and rank us where you want... we weren't serious contenders in 2006 either... LOL... That sweet taste of gold.... mmmmm.... :biglaugh:

jaydub*

Ribban said:
LOL.

OK.

Robert Nilsson, Alex Steen, Oscar Steen, Nicklas Backstrom, Marcus Nilson, Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin, Daniel Alfredsson, Per-Johan Axelsson, Jonathan Hedstrom, Mattias Weinhandl, Oscar, Fredik Modin, Fredrik Sjostrom, Henrik Zetterberg, and so on... many names left out.

But go ahead and rank us where you want... we weren't serious contenders in 2006 either... LOL... That sweet taste of gold.... mmmmm.... :biglaugh:

......that would be a relatively weak olympic team :dunno:

petrklima85

Apr 13, 2006
HAMILTON, ONTARIO
Johan Ryno should probably be on the Swedish team in the next Olympics....he along with another Wing prospect: Anton Axelsson.

While we're at it....Stefan Liv was the 3rd goalie for Sweden in Torino.....why do you assume he won't be there in 4 years time ??

By the way this is my first post on here....I LOVE this high end hockey talk !!!!!!!!!

wildone26*

I hope Naslund is there. It was sad one of Sweden's truly great players and a class act did not get to celebrate his country's first major gold medal in awhile. I hope Sweden does not win of course, I hope Canada does, but if Sweden does win hopefully Naslund is there to experience it, and either way hope he is there and the Swedes play a good tournament.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
petrklima85 said:
Johan Ryno should probably be on the Swedish team in the next Olympics....he along with another Wing prospect: Anton Axelsson.

While we're at it....Stefan Liv was the 3rd goalie for Sweden in Torino.....why do you assume he won't be there in 4 years time ??

By the way this is my first post on here....I LOVE this high end hockey talk !!!!!!!!!

Anton Axelsson in the olympics? Don't think so...

Liv is not infront of Lundqvist, Tellqvist.

And I doubt Ryno will be playing.

Sorry if this post maybe isn't high end but I don't think they'll play in the olympics :)

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I think Forsberg will play in the para olympics next time around...

We have a lot of players who could turn out to star players before the next Olympics. Bäckström, Loui, Bergfors, R Jonsson, Steen, R Nilsson, Ryno, Söderström (MIF) etc Some of these players are 18-22 now and would therefor be 22-26 when the next Olympics are played. And there is always the out side chance that some of the solid players in the SEL right now bloom late and turns out to be a great players ready to play at the Olympic level.

Anyway, it is 4 long years before it will happen and considering the games is held in Canada, team Canada will win it with every helping hand they can get on their way to the final. Not that they will need it anyway...

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
Slime said:

Finland? Without Selanne, Koivu, Lehtinen, Peltonen, Numminen etc? Switzerland will kick their asses.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
culee said:
Yo where's NASLUND
He will have converted to judaism and started to play for team israel by then :sarcasm:

No spot for Näslund on team Sweden... He wouldn't have an honest chance to make the team considering how he plays on the national team of late.

Susanna

Apr 29, 2006
Baltimore
Refuse said:
Finland? Without Selanne, Koivu, Lehtinen, Peltonen, Numminen etc? Switzerland will kick their asses.

Point well noted! But Finland has an excellent Junior Hockey program, so in 4 years time hopefully they will have groomed some new powerhouse payers. Do you see any of the aforementioned as becoming coaches, or if their kids would be playing? Peltonen has a bunch of kids, I wonder if they'd be old enough to play.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
If one look at a map only Norway and Sweden is on the Scandinavian peninsula. But since Denmark are so close at the bottom of Scandinavia one could say that Denmark also belong to the Scandinavian countrys. And Finland is a member of the nordic community where also Norway, Sweden and Denmark belongs so most people say that they all also belong to Scandinavia.

calgarylen13

Mar 15, 2002
Roskilde
Visit site
mattihp said:
Liar :) No scandinavian team came second, Finland did.

I was thinking exactly that...

Caz said:
You must be right. Let's be correct on this.
Would you please inform European Union's
Swedish and/or Danish pages?

Scandinavia consists of only Denmark, Norway and Sweden. If you are talking about the Nordic Countries, then you may include Iceland and Finland, but they are not a part of Scandinavia.

BBKers said:
I'm not sure about the rules of the IIHF, but I thought there was a whole problem with Nabokov as he had once played for Kazakhstan in an under 18's tournament...Kopitar has played for the Slovenian national team, he is proud of his Slovenian heritage and his father I believe is still the coach of the national team. He won't be playing for Sweden under any circumstances, nor for any North American team.

calgarylen13

Mar 15, 2002
Roskilde
Visit site
johnny_rudeboy said:
If one look at a map only Norway and Sweden is on the Scandinavian peninsula. But since Denmark are so close at the bottom of Scandinavia one could say that Denmark also belong to the Scandinavian countrys. And Finland is a member of the nordic community where also Norway, Sweden and Denmark belongs so most people say that they all also belong to Scandinavia.

Only 2 hours to heaven...I mean Goteborg :D

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
johnny_rudeboy said:

calgarylen13 said:
I was thinking exactly that...
Scandinavia consists of only Denmark, Norway and Sweden. If you are talking about the Nordic Countries, then you may include Iceland and Finland, but they are not a part of Scandinavia.

I'm not saying anything.
EU Swedish and Danish pages are.
Please address your embassies :)

And BTW
Even if the SWE roster is not filled with NHLrs,
personally I never ever count them, fellow
Scandinavians, out until it's over.
(See, the family just got bigger :D )

It isn't over until Ville Peltonen scores.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
No eastern european team finished #3 either, while we're at it.

calgarylen13

Mar 15, 2002
Roskilde
Visit site
Caz said:
I'm not saying anything.
EU Swedish and Danish pages are.
Please address your embassies :)

And BTW
Even if the SWE roster is not filled with NHLrs,
personally I never ever count them, fellow
Scandinavians, out until it's over.
(See, the family just got bigger :D )

It isn't over until Ville Peltonen scores.

The EU is hardly a good example, this is an organization that doesn't recognize the existance of Northern Cyprus...but gives funding to it at the same time.

Scandinavia is only Norway, Sweden and Denmark :)

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
calgarylen13 said:
The EU is hardly a good example, this is an
organization that doesn't recognize the existance of Northern Cyprus
...but gives funding to it at the same time.
Scandinavia is only Norway, Sweden and Denmark :)

EU's Swedish and Danish documents have to pass
an approval from gov officials in respective
countries. I guess that means they do not share
your opinion ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad