Edit: Rebranding actually

Last edited:

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Should be a positive change.

There will be pros and cons to it.

They won't be able to get Rogers affiliated guests, the biggest loss will be Stephen Brunt.

It will be interesting to see what comes of John Shorthouse and if he'll be able to continue to pull double duty with Radio and TV PBP gigs.

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta
I'm getting like 6 different TSN stations on my Television now. Is it because of this new re branding and changes going on at TSN? Or is it strictly for the U.S. Open?

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
I'm not sure 1040's name change is related to TSN's broader rebranding. It's helpful timing perhaps, but they probably would have changed the name a lot sooner were it not for the conflict with Don Taylor working for Sportsnet. Bell renamed Edmonton's TEAM station TSN 1260 almost immediately after buying it last year. IIRC, Bell has owned 1040 since 2007.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
I'm getting like 6 different TSN stations on my Television now. Is it because of this new re branding and changes going on at TSN? Or is it strictly for the U.S. Open?

Nope it's here to stay. They figured since they lost the NHL they might as well create 5 more channels for dodge ball and gopher surfing.

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
Just when I got used to saying "I don't listen to the Team 1040" they make me re-learn.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
There will be pros and cons to it.

They won't be able to get Rogers affiliated guests, the biggest loss will be Stephen Brunt.

It will be interesting to see what comes of John Shorthouse and if he'll be able to continue to pull double duty with Radio and TV PBP gigs.

It wont effect any of that. There hasn't been an ownership change.. just a name change.

Contributors and media personalities always cross-promote. Shorthouse will still contribute and work for both RSP for TV and TSN for radio as he did last yr...

Brunt will still come on 1040... just like Hrudy of CBC still came on a CTV owned Team 1040..

As for TSN's 5 channels... I was just thinking how amazing that will be for the next Olympics they get... 5 channels in row, all showing different live sports...
Even this US Open, 3 or 4 different matches going at the same time is awesome...

It'll won't really effect Jr. coverage since they rarely have more 2 games at a time anyways... but man will it be cool for other events they get the rights for... and now they got money to burn to win these bids as well, combined with CBC pulling out of future bidding wars...

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Just when I got used to saying "I don't listen to the Team 1040" they make me re-learn.

Want a cookie or something?

Should be interesting to see what happens with Shorty for sure. Probably won't be doing games on 1040 anymore, but wonder if they'll still have him on occasionally since he has done PBP for the Canucks for a long time.

YouppiKiYay

Jul 3, 2011
Bellingham, WA
It wont effect any of that. There hasn't been an ownership change.. just a name change.

Contributors and media personalities always cross-promote. Shorthouse will still contribute and work for both RSP for TV and TSN for radio as he did last yr...

Brunt will still come on 1040... just like Hrudy of CBC still came on a CTV owned Team 1040..

What's odd is that yesterday on Twitter, Sekeres was asked about Brunt. I wasn't listening, so I don't know if the tweet was in response to something Matt said on the air.

matt bakken ‏@bakken_matt12
@mattsekeres hey Matt just wondering how you have to get rid of Brunt of Rogers but can still have Shorty on? He is Rogers property!Confused

Matthew Sekeres ‏@mattsekeres Aug 27
Shorty's position as #Canucks play-by-play man makes it different @bakken_matt12

When I read that I thought it meant Brunt was off the show because he was a Rogers employee.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
What's odd is that yesterday on Twitter, Sekeres was asked about Brunt. I wasn't listening, so I don't know if the tweet was in response to something Matt said on the air.

matt bakken ‏@bakken_matt12
@mattsekeres hey Matt just wondering how you have to get rid of Brunt of Rogers but can still have Shorty on? He is Rogers property!Confused

Matthew Sekeres ‏@mattsekeres Aug 27
Shorty's position as #Canucks play-by-play man makes it different @bakken_matt12

When I read that I thought it meant Brunt was off the show because he was a Rogers employee.

Ah ok... Politics wins out...
Then that would seem to be Sportsnet policy of not wanting their guy on boosting ratings of the directly named TSN product (CTV property).
CTV didnt care last yr about SN guys on their station, why would they care this yr unless it's purely political - no longer wishing to help SN promote due to losing rights. Actually, it just may likely be a new TSN policy that came with the rebranding derived from the NHL property rights drama.. Petty.

Either way.. Both companies and the fans lose in this situation of not having someone on because of their employer. The station loses because they lose out on their product quality by having less diverse insight fans are interested in.. And the other party loses a venue of promotion. Lose-lose.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
My take, is it would matter less when the NHL was on all three Networks. Now that It is really only owned by Sportsnet, with TSN doing a few teams Regional, and CBC actually sub contracted out by Sportsnet, it has created a bit of a war. My best guess is it started when the first thing TSN did was reup all there stars. Sportsnet has the beginings of a ten year Monopoly, and I think they want to take a big chunk of the sports leader in TSN.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC

As for TSN's 5 channels... I was just thinking how amazing that will be for the next Olympics they get... 5 channels in row, all showing different live sports...
Even this US Open, 3 or 4 different matches going at the same time is awesome...

It'll won't really effect Jr. coverage since they rarely have more 2 games at a time anyways... but man will it be cool for other events they get the rights for... and now they got money to burn to win these bids as well, combined with CBC pulling out of future bidding wars...

This is how I think of it. The sports world doesn't just revolve around hockey and football. There are a bunch of other sports that will likely get broadcast now with all the new channels. I'm a tennis fan myself so I'm enjoying all the US Open coverage and I will look forward to seeing what other variety they will have to offer on the other channels.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
Brunt was a regular contributor on Montreal Sports Radio TEAM 990.

But when they re-branded to TSN Radio, they had to cut their ties with Brunt

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
This is how I think of it. The sports world doesn't just revolve around hockey and football. There are a bunch of other sports that will likely get broadcast now with all the new channels. I'm a tennis fan myself so I'm enjoying all the US Open coverage and I will look forward to seeing what other variety they will have to offer on the other channels.

It'll be interesting to see if this changes how TSN covers Curling (Brier and Scotties mostly). Multiple games go on at the same time, if they have the cameras and such there they now have the channels to show multiple games at the same time on TV.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
My take, is it would matter less when the NHL was on all three Networks. Now that It is really only owned by Sportsnet, with TSN doing a few teams Regional, and CBC actually sub contracted out by Sportsnet, it has created a bit of a war. My best guess is it started when the first thing TSN did was reup all there stars. Sportsnet has the beginings of a ten year Monopoly, and I think they want to take a big chunk of the sports leader in TSN.

They'll be hard pressed to do so with their money now locked up huge in the NHL...

TSN will/already does own everything else Sports... and they'll have the money to keep it that way for awhile as Rogers figures out how to increase revenues to pay the bills without transferring too much revenue from their other properties to pay the NHL...

TSN/CTV owns...

Jets/Leafs/Sens regional rights
CFL and Grey Cup
NBA Raptors
NBA Final, TNT's broadcasts in Canada
MLS Soccer
- separate MLS deal to own all the Whitecaps rights
FIFA rights 2015 - 2022 (Rogers/CBC owned Brazil 2014)
Curling
Skate Canada
Formula 1
NASCAR
Sunday Night and Monday Night NFL Football
Tour de France
All 4 of the Tennis Grand Slams
All 4 of Golf's Majors
NCAA Basketball tournament
NCAA Football championship games
English Premier League Soccer
X games
Aussie Rules Football
World Series of Poker
World Juniors
Superbowl

Rogers owns..

NHL - everything
MLB - Bluejays, All-star game
Tennis Canada - Rogers Cup
NFL - late game
World Poker Tour
Darts
Indy car series
Indy 500
CIS Football

Future Olympic bidding.... likely not Rogers.

I don't think the NHL alone will come close to making Rogers the leader in sports in Canada considering the foothold TSN has with every other SIGNIFICANT sport in the world.

If a sports fan in Canada isn't watching hockey, they'll likely be watching TSN.

EDIT: Who owns the Triple Crown in Canada?

Last edited:

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

Yep. NHL totally botched it on the TV deal IMO. They followed the money instead of quality and competitiveness. There is a reason Comcast can get away with **** customer service quality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad