Olympics: Team lines predictions

RebelMe

Dec 26, 2008
The task is simple - try to guess how the top 2 lines of your team would look like at the Vancouver Olympics.

For Czech Republic my wild prediction looks like this:
Elias - Cajanek - Jagr
Fleischmann - Plekanec - Havlat

How is it with Canada for example - who will be on the top line? Three Sharks or Crosby?

LannysStach

Thou shall
Dec 13, 2004
NYC & Toronto
on team selection day, asst. GM Ken Holland specified the 4 centers as: Croz, Joe, Getzlaf, Toews.

using that as the base, I'm assuming it's:

Nash — Crosby — Bergeron
Heater — Thornton — Marleau
Staal — Getzlaf — Perry
Morrow — Toews — Iggy

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
According to Swedish papers:

Forsberg - Backstrom - Hornqvist
D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Weinhandl
Eriksson - Zetterberg - Alfredsson
Modin - Pahlsson - Holmstrom

However, I'd rather like:

Forsberg - Backstrom - Alfredsson
D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Weinhandl
Holmstrom - Zetterberg - Eriksson
Modin - Pahlsson - Hornqvist

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
The task is simple - try to guess how the top 2 lines of your team would look like at the Vancouver Olympics.

For Czech Republic my wild prediction looks like this:
Elias - Cajanek - Jagr
Fleischmann - Plekanec - Havlat

How is it with Canada for example - who will be on the top line? Three Sharks or Crosby?

Is Elias even gonna be fit after his concussion?

Looking at the roster, I can't imagine Cajanek is gonna get to center Jagr's line ahead of say, Krejci.

Even then, the Czechs are weaker down the middle than any other of the big-7 nations, outside of maybe Slovakia.

RebelMe

Dec 26, 2008
Is Elias even gonna be fit after his concussion?

Looking at the roster, I can't imagine Cajanek is gonna get to center Jagr's line ahead of say, Krejci.

Even then, the Czechs are weaker down the middle than any other of the big-7 nations, outside of maybe Slovakia.

Last news are that he should be completely OK (but who knows with concussions). Cajanek has some great chemistry with Jagr...

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Starting lineups in Game 1:

Ovechkin-Fedorov-Semin, Kovalchuk-Malkin-Afinogenov
Nash-Crosby-Iginla, Sharx
Sedin-Sedin-Weinhandl, Eriksson-Zetterberg-Alfredsson
Elias-Cajanek-Jagr, Erat-Plekanec-Havlat
Lehtinen-Koivu-Selanne, Hagman-Koivu-Miettinen
Parise-Stasny-Kane, Kessel-Kesler-Ryan

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
on team selection day, asst. GM Ken Holland specified the 4 centers as: Croz, Joe, Getzlaf, Toews.

Nash — Crosby — Bergeron
Staal — Getzlaf — Perry
Morrow — Toews — Iggy
Good choices. I would love to see Staal with Crosby but this Anaheim duo with Eric will be huge for Canada team.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Starting lineups in Game 1:

Ovechkin-Fedorov-Semin, Kovalchuk-Malkin-Afinogenov
Nash-Crosby-Iginla, Sharx
Sedin-Sedin-Weinhandl, Eriksson-Zetterberg-Alfredsson
Elias-Cajanek-Jagr, Erat-Plekanec-Havlat
Lehtinen-Koivu-Selanne, Hagman-Koivu-Miettinen
Parise-Stasny-Kane, Kessel-Kesler-Ryan

I believe Canada will at least start the tournament with Bergeron on Crosby's right side. Iginla will likely play on the "4th" line with Morrow and Toews/Richards. This makes sense in the context of Babcock's philosophy of rolling 4 strong 2-way lines. Of course, as the tournament progresses, the bench will get a bit shorter and the lines shuffled.

In terms of our #2 line - I see the Sharks line and Getz-Perry-Staal as #2a and #2b to start, and should see relatively equal even-strength ice time.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Ovechkin-Datsyuk-Semin, Kovalchuk-Malkin-Radulov
Parise-Stastny-Kane, Booth-Pavelski-Langenbrunner
Nash-Crosby-Bergeron, Marleau-Thornton-Heatley
Sedin-Sedin-Alfredsson, Eriksson-Backstrom-Forsberg
Elias-Plekanec-Havlat, Fleischmann-Krecji-Jagr
Lehtinen-Koivu-Selanne, Hagman-Koivu-Jokinen
Hossa-Demitra-Gaborik, Radivojevic-Cibak-Hossa

AVSfan2daMAX

Nov 24, 2006

Nash — Crosby — Bergeron
Staal — Getzlaf — Perry
Morrow — Toews — Iggy
Very good predictions in my opinion. If Bergeron's healthy I can see him playing with Crosby and Nash. Yzerman hinted that he would possibly play with them and seems to make sense. A very responsible two-way player, one of the best play makers in Crosby and a great sniper in Nash.

I could see Staal and Iginla flipping, but aside that I think your projections seem very good.

I also believe Canada's offensive success will lie with the San Jose line. They play together and I can't really see many teams with the ability to stop Crosby's line, then the cycling game of Getzlaf's line and still have the ability to stop Joe Thornton and co.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
T.Ruutu - M.Koivu - Miettinen
Hagman - Jokinen - Filppula
Lehtinen - S.Koivu - Selänne
J.Ruutu - Kapanen - Peltonen

or

T.Ruutu - M.Koivu - Filppula
Hagman - Jokinen - Peltonen
J.Ruutu - Kapanen - Miettinen

are pretty much the only possibilities for Finland, and you can quote me on this. If it's going to be anything else, it'll be a huge surprise.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
T.Ruutu - M.Koivu - Miettinen
Hagman - Jokinen - Filppula
J.Ruutu - Kapanen - Peltonen

or

T.Ruutu - M.Koivu - Filppula
Hagman - Jokinen - Peltonen
J.Ruutu - Kapanen - Miettinen

are pretty much the only possibilities for Finland, and you can quote me on this. If it's going to be anything else, it'll be a huge surprise.
I don't think there is any chance at all that the Olli-line will get more icetime than Jere-Saku-Teemu.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I don't think there is any chance at all that the Olli-line will get more icetime than Jere-Saku-Teemu.
Reducing younger, more energetic and less injury-prone players who are top-six talent to lesser minutes - at least what comes to even strength - would be idiocy from any coach. Unless they play bad enough.

The Legend line will likely be our top PP unit, but on ES I predict the line centered by Jokinen will likely be the namely second line. Though I don't think there'll be that big a difference in TOI between the three top lines. Save for special teams, that is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad