Team Identity

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I haven’t come up with an answer that I am confident aligns with our roster construction, nor what we have on the prospect horizon. So I ask, what is the identity/vision for this team?

Two-way play - doesn’t seem to be the case
Size - not seeing that. We have height (6th), but our weight is middle of the pack at 15th.
Doggedness - not an across the board trait for our players, although I think the coaching strategy wants it to be
Speed - Seems like just enough is the goal, but not enough to call an identity
Skill - see speed above
High octane offense - no not really
Stifling Defense - clearly not
Hockey IQ - Again, no

There are a myriad of other categories too and possibly hybrid approaches to consider. But what do we collectively feel is the vision? Or do we not have one?

Last edited:

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I haven’t come up with an answer that I am confident aligns with our roster construction, nor what we have on the prospect horizon. So I ask, what is the identity/vision for this team?

Size - not seeing that
Doggedness - not an across the board trait for our players, although I think the coaching strategy wants it to be
Skill - see speed above
Hockey IQ - Again, no

There are a myriad of other categories too and possibly hybrid approaches to consider. But what do we collectively feel is the vision? Or do we not have one?
IMO this team is still figuring that out but hybrid is the best way to describe it and that's not something only the Blues are working out.

I think a big mobile D with speedy forwards and scoring depth is the blueprint right now. The power forward and forechecking is not looked at as important as it once was unless you're on the fourth line. Obviously there is an exception for any talented player but I think in general NHL front offices are trying to figure out the best meta and this seems to be it.

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
I think what they would like is to be tough to play against and limit mistakes in the D-zone. Unfortunately, the current lineup is too soft, and not very good at managing the puck. When their passing is good they usually win, when it's bad they get blown out. I'm not sure if our top prospects fit this mold either. I think Stenberg and possibly Dvorsky may.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Size - not seeing that. We have height (6th), but our weight is middle of the pack at 15th.
Skill - see speed above
Hockey IQ - Again, no

How would you characterize Vegas or la or Boston? Those teams seem to be constructed along the lines of how we might want to be. They are just more complete realizations of it.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I think a lot of the current team is plugging holes with the best player available cheaply. Was Hayes the best fit for what we wanted or was he a 50ish point player we could grab with retention for a late pick. Was Krug a fit for our strategy or was he the "top rated" dman available for under 8M that free agency period? Did Kap and Vrana fit an identity or were they once promising players available dirt cheap?

There is nothing wrong with plugging holes on the cheap, especially during a transition period. Why give up assets to fill holes we hope our prospects fill on a few years. But it makes having an identity hard.

Looking at draft picks and the Sanheim target, I'd say we are looking for smart 2-way forwards with good work ethic, and long, rangy D with good reach who can transition the puck. Trying to get back to the cup formula replacing ROR/Steen and Bouwmeester. But most the guys we have are placeholders

Drubilly

Sep 23, 2018
Collinsville
I think a lot of the current team is plugging holes with the best player available cheaply. Was Hayes the best fit for what we wanted or was he a 50ish point player we could grab with retention for a late pick. Was Krug a fit for our strategy or was he the "top rated" dman available for under 8M that free agency period? Did Kap and Vrana fit an identity or were they once promising players available dirt cheap?

There is nothing wrong with plugging holes on the cheap, especially during a transition period. Why give up assets to fill holes we hope our prospects fill on a few years. But it makes having an identity hard.

Looking at draft picks and the Sanheim target, I'd say we are looking for smart 2-way forwards with good work ethic, and long, rangy D with good reach who can transition the puck. Trying to get back to the cup formula replacing ROR/Steen and Bouwmeester. But most the guys we have are placeholders
We have a winner folks.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Looking at our construction through the lens of two-way play here is how I would categorize our forwards.

Roster Players with term or a possible longer future with the team:
Buch - Elite two-way
Thomas - Two-way
Saad - Two-way
Jake - Two-way ish
Kyrou - Not two-way (Offense)
Schenn - Not two-way (Offense)
Hayes - Not two-way (Offense)
Toro - Not two-way (Grinder with some
Off pop)

Roster Filler:
Kap - Two-way ish
Vrana - Not two-way (Offense)
Blaise - Not two-way (Grinder with some
Off pop)
Sunny - maybe two-way but leaning more defense and grinder at this stage of his career
Alexandrov - not sure if he fits a classification at this point

Prospects
Dvo - two-way
Stenberg - two-way
Bolduc - Not two-way (Offense)
Dean - two-way, but not if he doesn’t start producing in the AHL…yes there is still time
Snuggy - Not two-way (Offense)
Pekarcik - Not two-way (Offense)

So overall it looks like we are going to lean two-way eventually.

Reactions: taylord22

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
How would you characterize Vegas or la or Boston? Those teams seem to be constructed along the lines of how we might want to be. They are just more complete realizations of it.
Vegas IMO has a perfectly built roster. They are a faster version of the 2019 Blues.

Big, physical team. Good lengthy d-men that cover ground, major depth throughout the lineup. They have the speed and skill to play a rush game too. They are a bit more rush than the Blues were, but overall that’s a team that can adapt to any type of game in the playoffs.

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Vegas IMO has a perfectly built roster. They are a faster version of the 2019 Blues.

Big, physical team. Good lengthy d-men that cover ground, major depth throughout the lineup. They have the speed and skill to play a rush game too. They are a bit more rush than the Blues were, but overall that’s a team that can adapt to any type of game in the playoffs.
That’s what I want to be.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015

Man-rack-illustration-The-National-and-Domestic.jpg

Might need one of these to stretch out Krug and Perunovich into lengthy D

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Team identity takes time to develop. In the past few years we've lost some pretty big pieces of our team and identity. People seem to overlook the fact that "covid" and the flat cap has probably had a big effect on the plans of most NHL GMs. If not for that, maybe ROR or Perron is still here, or who knows what other moves would have happened. It's been extremely difficult for GMs to make trades the last few years and it makes sense that a re-tooling team would have a lot of spare parts that don't necessarily figure in the long term plans.

The reins have been handed to Thomas and Kyrou, so I'd say what identity the team forms depends a lot on them. I'd like to see a skilled team that also works hard and is responsible at both ends of the ice. In a couple of years we could have Thomas, Kyrou, a blossoming Neighbours, Dvorsky, Snuggs, a hopefully re-signed Buch, and hopefully contributions from Dean, Bolduc, Stenberg and others. That's a pretty solid foundation in theory. With the cap going up, Army will have more flexibility to add players rather than buying from the clearance rack (though the addition of Hayes is looking pretty good right now, Kap to a lesser extent).

Do we really need a thread like this every time the Blues lose a game? Even the 2019 Blues team didn't really form an identity until midway through the season. This forum goes into crisis mode every time we lose a game lol

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Team identity takes time to develop. In the past few years we've lost some pretty big pieces of our team and identity. People seem to overlook the fact that "covid" and the flat cap has probably had a big effect on the plans of most NHL GMs. If not for that, maybe ROR or Perron is still here, or who knows what other moves would have happened. It's been extremely difficult for GMs to make trades the last few years and it makes sense that a re-tooling team would have a lot of spare parts that don't necessarily figure in the long term plans.

The reins have been handed to Thomas and Kyrou, so I'd say what identity the team forms depends a lot on them. I'd like to see a skilled team that also works hard and is responsible at both ends of the ice. In a couple of years we could have Thomas, Kyrou, a blossoming Neighbours, Dvorsky, Snuggs, a hopefully re-signed Buch, and hopefully contributions from Dean, Bolduc, Stenberg and others. That's a pretty solid foundation in theory. With the cap going up, Army will have more flexibility to add players rather than buying from the clearance rack (though the addition of Hayes is looking pretty good right now, Kap to a lesser extent).

Do we really need a thread like this every time the Blues lose a game? Even the 2019 Blues team didn't really form an identity until midway through the season. This forum goes into crisis mode every time we lose a game lol
Well the tread wasn’t started as a result of a loss. It was because between this year and last, the pro team has no real identity. I frankly didn’t even watch last game due to other obligations. So, not sure why there is need to throw poor assumptions my way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ted Hoffman

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Well the tread wasn’t started as a result of a loss. It was because between this year and last, the pro team has no real identity. I frankly didn’t even watch last game due to other obligations. So, not sure why there is need to throw poor assumptions my way.
Don’t worry about him, it’s a good thread. There are certain posters on this board that have an extremely hard time dealing with any criticism at all that is thrown the Blues’ way.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
This is like the 06-07 team on the ice.

But it compares unfavorably to that team in terms of (1) direction (2) the front office understanding the value of defense and (3) GM-to-fan candor.

Big, big trouble. Armstrong will be long gone before things get interesting again for the Blues. But we can say this, as fans we never had to endure the unimaginable – the owner having less power than a defender (except this year with Torey Krug.)

The good news is hockey was phenomenal in the playoffs last year, some thrilling series.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
We've got a collection of guys who were available and fit the budget. Nothing less, nothing more.

It reminds me of this line from Hot Shots Part Deux:

View attachment 781060

How can anything remind you of a line from Hot Shots Part Deux Look up forgettable movie in the dictionary, and you will not see Hot Shots PArt Deux, because everyone forgot it existed.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
How can anything remind you of a line from Hot Shots Part Deux Look up forgettable movie in the dictionary, and you will not see Hot Shots PArt Deux, because everyone forgot it existed.
I could quote a hundred lines from that movie. It's a goddamn masterpiece and anybody who thinks otherwise has no taste in cinema. LOL

Lloyd Bridges as President Benson alone is worth the 90-minute run-time.

Prime Minister Soto: President Benson, where's your first lady?
President Benson: I don't know. I've had lots of women. Lost my flower at the age of 15. I can't keep track.

:laugh:

Last edited:

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I could quote a hundred lines from that movie. It's a goddamn masterpiece and anybody who thinks otherwise has no taste in cinema. LOL

Lloyd Bridges as President Benson alone is worth the 90-minute run-time.

Prime Minister Soto: President Benson, where's your first lady?
President Benson: I don't know. I've had lots of women. Lost my flower at the age of 15. I can't keep track.

:laugh:
It took a hundred lines to write that movie.

• Haha
Reactions: Blueston

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
We've got a collection of guys who were available and fit the budget. Nothing less, nothing more.

It reminds me of this line from Hot Shots Part Deux:

View attachment 781060
Now we gotta send you in to get the guys who we sent in to get the guys that we sent in.

That movie is 100% a f***ing masterpiece and I WILL die on that hill.

Gummy bears Gummy Bears//Sprinkles Sprinkles!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad