Ben Lake – Belfast Giants
Evan Mosey – Sheffield Steelers
Matthew Myers – Nottingham Panthers
Cade Neilson – Aberdeen Wings
Brett Perlini – Ringerike IK
Jonathan Phillips – Sheffield Steelers
Josh Waller – Cardiff Devils

Reserves
Netminders: Ben Churchfield (Vermilion County Bobcats), Brython Preece (Dundee Stars). Defence: Joe Hazeldine (Manchester Storm). Forwards: Jordan Cownie (Guildford Flames), Mac Howlett (Guildford Flames), Jordan Kelsall (Nottingham Panthers), Ross Venus (Coventry Blaze), Brandon Whistle (Sheffield Steelers).

Injury List
Liam Kirk, Mike Hammond, Steve Lee, Ollie Betteridge, Brendan Connolly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fjorden and Pardus

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Is it not too early for Neilson? He never played senior hockey.

Why is Ehrhardt only reserve? He is one of the best offensive dman from UK.

Lachowicz and J.Phillips ahead of players such as Ferrera, Peacock, Venus and Cownie is suprising for me.

Pardus

Sep 25, 2017
Oulu, Finland
Exhibiton games:

Thu 5th May GB - Italy (Milton Keynes)
Sat 7th May GB - Denmark (Coventry)
Sun 8th May GB - Denmark (Nottingham)
Tue 10th May GB - Italy (Coventry)

Reactions: ChaiTiefling

nadera78

Apr 16, 2013
London
Good to see a couple of young guys included, they've got some talent and will be the backbone of this team in future years. The injured list isn't good for us though, some of our best players there unfortunately.

nadera78

Apr 16, 2013
London
Lachowicz and Phillips are role players on this team. Won't score many (any) points but the former is perhaps our best PKer and the latter is captain and hugely respected.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
The Danes beat GB 8-0 today... she's gonna be a tough go.

Need Bowns to do his thing and the special teams will need to be very very good.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
This may get ugly with multiple double digit results. Realistically, GB is currently not among the top 16 teams, they are roughly on the level with Lithuania, Korea.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
This may get ugly with multiple double digit results. Realistically, GB is currently not among the top 16 teams, they are roughly on the level with Lithuania, Korea.
I don't see why would this time be particularly bad considering that they appeared in the previous two World Championships as well, never losing one match by double digits. Interestingly, the Danes are also responsible for the worst beating GB has received in these tournaments (0:9 in 2019).

Reactions: Pardus

ChaiTiefling

Aug 29, 2006
Manchester, UK
On the one hand, these pre-tourney results are similar to those from 2019 and things turned out fine that year. They're ultimately meaningless.

On the other hand, where the heckity heck are the goals going to come from?

blair3

Oct 6, 2009
I think GB have earned their place in the top division. They one gold in Division 1A in and have won games and not finished bottom of their group in their two seasons in the top division. They have some major injury problems this season with half of their top six forwards out plus the retirement of Rob Farmer who has scored some huge goals in recent years. Watching the games against Denmark and thinking that GB have made the top division with very few resources is a huge achievement. With better organization between the Elite League and governing bodies, player development, and some funding I think they could be at the same level as Denmark. Unfortunately the conflicting demands of the various governing bodies and senior league is holding the National Team back.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think GB have earned their place in the top division. They one gold in Division 1A in and have won games and not finished bottom of their group in their two seasons in the top division. They have some major injury problems this season with half of their top six forwards out plus the retirement of Rob Farmer who has scored some huge goals in recent years. Watching the games against Denmark and thinking that GB have made the top division with very few resources is a huge achievement. With better organization between the Elite League and governing bodies, player development, and some funding I think they could be at the same level as Denmark. Unfortunately the conflicting demands of the various governing bodies and senior league is holding the National Team back.
GB has definitely earned their place because they played very well when they had to. Having said that, they are punching way above their weight and living on borrowed time in the elite.

U18s - D2A
U20s - D2A

GB playing in the elite is a remarkable achievement because in terms of the player pool and hockey pyramid your closest comparable is Poland - the team which ever so ofter has to play at D2A at men's level. The level where GB played so often as well before this magical Pete Russell era. "With better organization between the Elite League and governing bodies, player development, and some funding I think they could be at the same level as Denmark." - if you want to make this case for GB you can pretty much make it for any other D1A nation as well. It's kinda like saying that every country could have put the man on the moon had they put the resources into it. So that's a "technically yes but actually no" situation.

Last edited:

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
I am a bit afraid this team GB had its peak some 3 years ago. Some players retired or are just to the end of their active careers, and I don't see many youngsters filling the gaps. Kirk is injured - who else may make some impact? Maybe Dowd? I am afraid that especially the defense can be a huge weakness this year, which may lead to some ugly scores. I am somewhat cheering for the team GB because their presence in the tournament reminds me of the vingate era of 1920s-1950s when GB was a hockey force to recognize. But to be realistic, I expect them to be relegated this year.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Few key players missing from you guys, but few key guys are returning
Bowns gotta do even better what last time.

Anything is possible, but without those few key players,
goal scoring gonna be an issue for GB.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Few key players missing from you guys, but few key guys are returning
Bowns gotta do even better what last time.

Anything is possible, but without those few key players,
goal scoring gonna be an issue for GB.
Would you say GB have stronger roster than Sweden?

AKQJ

May 6, 2022
Turku
This Sweden/GB - stronger issue is nuts... At any level in hockey. There might be one in a hundred chance for one crazy day when all the Swedish guys are drunk, ill or just off and Brittish goalie is having miracle night, but possibility of that happening in Tampere on 17th of May on Nokia Arena is almost non existant.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Lachowicz and Phillips are role players on this team. Won't score many (any) points but the former is perhaps our best PKer and the latter is captain and hugely respected.
Hammond (effing hell) and Betteridge are out due to injury, Ehrhardt (ugh) and Ferrara replace them. Mosey will play forward.

What would a best possible UK team look like? My try:

Kirk - Hammond - Dowd
Mosey - Connolly - Perlini
Joey Lewis - Conway - B.Davies
Hook - Neilson - Lake

Batch - O Connor
Tetlow - M.Richardson
Sam Jones - D.Phillips

Bowns
Whistle

Good depth at forwards imo. I wonder when Liam Steele and Alex Graham is ready for the big boys.

aquaregia

May 23, 2022
Lancashire
What would a best possible UK team look like? My try:

Kirk - Hammond - Dowd
Mosey - Connolly - Perlini
Joey Lewis - Conway - B.Davies
Hook - Neilson - Lake

Batch - O Connor
Tetlow - M.Richardson
Sam Jones - D.Phillips

Bowns
Whistle

Good depth at forwards imo. I wonder when Liam Steele and Alex Graham is ready for the big boys.
Reading this post spun my head far enough that I felt I had to make an account to respond.
Josh Batch in the first pair?!?! and beyond Kirk and Hammond in the top line what on earth are those forward groupings.

Me head's a shed.

Good luck to the lads tonight though, seems like we might need a good slice of it to beat Austria in reg.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Reading this post spun my head far enough that I felt I had to make an account to respond.
Josh Batch in the first pair?!?! and beyond Kirk and Hammond in the top line what on earth are those forward groupings.

Me head's a shed.

Good luck to the lads tonight though, seems like we might need a good slice of it to beat Austria in reg.
im not expert on uk hockey. what would the team look like?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad