WC: Team Germany 2019

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
He was training today so I guess it's a match-time decision tomorrow. But they probably won't risk anything and rather have him play in the Quarters than rushing him tomorrow.

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
Anyone thinks that Eisenschmid might be in the scope of some NHL teams? He looks super solid in the tournament

Edit: Was he drafted? I can’t remember

kalle wirsch

May 29, 2015
Eisenschmid wasn't drafted,but he had a two way contract with Montreal.He spent 3 years in their farmteams . There have been a lot of NHL scouts in Mannheim watching Seider.There are rumours that Eisenschmid will get another chance.His performance at the WC gets him more arguements.

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
Still happy with the team. A lot of those players are still so young that I’m not too concerned about our future. Looking so forward to see where Seider is going. Impressive kid.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Lots to look forward to as Germany's next generation continues to grow and improve.

It's not just what we're seeing at this WC, but also the fact that the U20 & U18 teams gained promotion back up into the respective top groups.

That's very important and very promising.

Things look pretty good up front and in goal, but the nation has had more than its share of problems developing "world class" Dmen. This team also had one of its more non-flashy groups, with not of one of them resembling a true PP-QB (albeit, Y. Seidenberg fulfills that role for his club team).

Seider is naturally THE guy for the future, Jonas Muller remains one of the quietly impressive members for the long-term (in a depth role), and surely there'll be a spot for Holzer over the next 3-5 years, but Germany desperately needs another couple of Erhoffs and D. Seidenbergs to come along who will play 7-12 years of a top 5 role in the NHL.

Just can't see this team moving forward while players such as Reul, Nowak, Schopper, and M. Muller are manning the blueline, even if the physical roles Reul and Muller fill have proven to be important in recent years.

In the DEL, there were a couple of impressive performances by German defensemen, but hardly any of them wound up on the national team. Sezemsky is 25 and had 13-18-31 while playing for one of the league's top teams, but was a late cut. Same with Dominik Bittner. And Marcel Brandt often looked like a guy who could throw his name in the hat.

Naturally there were guys like Sinan Akdag, Konrad Abeltshauser, Bernhard Ebner, Pascal Zerressen, and Stephan Daschner who missed this tournament for various (mostly health-related) reasons. I'd have been happy to see most all of them over a guy like Schopper.

Kai Wissmann and Tim Bender remain young guys who may still take a considerable step in the next season or two.

I also think we'll be hearing more from Fabio Wagner, Janik Moser, Simon Schutz, and even Max Glassl (had quite an impressive season in the DEL2) moving forward, but they may need a couple of more years to finally start to bloom.

So who, next to Seider, are these younger guys going to be who get this team to the next level?

Leon Gawanke has the opportunity to be a guy to build on in the future. He just signed his ELC with Winnipeg yesterday.
It'll be interesting to see what little tyke Nicolas Appendino will be doing after two years in North America. I think he wants to go the college route. The same can be said about Moritz Wirth.
Leon Huttl is only 18, but just spent the entire season playing regular minutes for Frankfurt in the DEL2.

Of course, no-one should be looking past Simon Gnyp at the moment. Like Seider, he played in the DEL as a 17-year-old, even if just for 14 games. He was huge for Germany at the D1A U18 and he's in the notes for NHL scouts. After Seider, he appears to be the most promising U18 Dman in Germany at the moment.

I'm sure there are others worth mentioning. Have I missed out on anyone of importance, when looking at who is going to upgrade this German blueline in the future?

Oberyn Martell

Dec 26, 2018
Lots to look forward to as Germany's next generation continues to grow and improve.

It's not just what we're seeing at this WC, but also the fact that the U20 & U18 teams gained promotion back up into the respective top groups.

That's very important and very promising.

Things look pretty good up front and in goal, but the nation has had more than its share of problems developing "world class" Dmen. This team also had one of its more non-flashy groups, with not of one of them resembling a true PP-QB (albeit, Y. Seidenberg fulfills that role for his club team).

Seider is naturally THE guy for the future, Jonas Muller remains one of the quietly impressive members for the long-term (in a depth role), and surely there'll be a spot for Holzer over the next 3-5 years, but Germany desperately needs another couple of Erhoffs and D. Seidenbergs to come along who will play 7-12 years of a top 5 role in the NHL.

Just can't see this team moving forward while players such as Reul, Nowak, Schopper, and M. Muller are manning the blueline, even if the physical roles Reul and Muller fill have proven to be important in recent years.

In the DEL, there were a couple of impressive performances by German defensemen, but hardly any of them wound up on the national team. Sezemsky is 25 and had 13-18-31 while playing for one of the league's top teams, but was a late cut. Same with Dominik Bittner. And Marcel Brandt often looked like a guy who could throw his name in the hat.

Naturally there were guys like Sinan Akdag, Konrad Abeltshauser, Bernhard Ebner, Pascal Zerressen, and Stephan Daschner who missed this tournament for various (mostly health-related) reasons. I'd have been happy to see most all of them over a guy like Schopper.

Kai Wissmann and Tim Bender remain young guys who may still take a considerable step in the next season or two.

I also think we'll be hearing more from Fabio Wagner, Janik Moser, Simon Schutz, and even Max Glassl (had quite an impressive season in the DEL2) moving forward, but they may need a couple of more years to finally start to bloom.

So who, next to Seider, are these younger guys going to be who get this team to the next level?

Leon Gawanke has the opportunity to be a guy to build on in the future. He just signed his ELC with Winnipeg yesterday.
It'll be interesting to see what little tyke Nicolas Appendino will be doing after two years in North America. I think he wants to go the college route. The same can be said about Moritz Wirth.
Leon Huttl is only 18, but just spent the entire season playing regular minutes for Frankfurt in the DEL2.

Of course, no-one should be looking past Simon Gnyp at the moment. Like Seider, he played in the DEL as a 17-year-old, even if just for 14 games. He was huge for Germany at the D1A U18 and he's in the notes for NHL scouts. After Seider, he appears to be the most promising U18 Dman in Germany at the moment.

I'm sure there are others worth mentioning. Have I missed out on anyone of importance, when looking at who is going to upgrade this German blueline in the future?
Maximilian Glötzl and Maksymilian Szuber

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I'm a little late to the discussion, but since I recently took a look at our future on defense I thought I'd share my list of players born in 94 or later that already are or will/could be playing on the national team in the future:

1994: Dominik Tiffels
1995: Jonas Müller, Fabio Wagner, Tim Bender, Janik Möser
1996: John Rogl, Kai Wissmann, David Trinkberger (NCAA)
1997: Lukas Kälble (NCAA), Simon Schütz, Tobias Fohrler (if he is eligible and wants to play for Germany), Maximilian Gläßl
1998: Maximilian Adam, Johannes Huß, Pascal Grosse
1999: Leon Gawanke, Colin Ugbekile, Tom-Eric Bappert, Nicolas Appendino
2000: Alexander Dersch, Leon Hüttl, Yegor Alanov (if he is eligible and wants to play for Germany), Eric Mik, Daniel Wirt, Philipp Mass, Tobias Möller
2001: Moritz Seider, Tommy Pasanen, Simon Gnyp, Mario Zimmermann, Philipp Preto
2002: Maximilian Glötzl, Maksymilian Szuber, Maximilian Menner, Fabrizio Pilu, Arkadiusz Dziambor

Obviously not many of them will totally pan out, but at this point I feel they are the most likely candidates to make any impact on our blueline at some point.

I think in the short term Lukas Kälble could have the biggest impact of those that are not already playing on the national team.

I believe Steven Raabe (2001) has also played some defense. Should he switch permanently he could also be a candidate.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I'm a little late to the discussion, but since I recently took a look at our future on defense I thought I'd share my list of players born in 94 or later that already are or will/could be playing on the national team in the future:

1994: Dominik Tiffels
1995: Jonas Müller, Fabio Wagner, Tim Bender, Janik Möser
1996: John Rogl, Kai Wissmann, David Trinkberger (NCAA)
1997: Lukas Kälble (NCAA), Simon Schütz, Tobias Fohrler (if he is eligible and wants to play for Germany), Maximilian Gläßl
1998: Maximilian Adam, Johannes Huß, Pascal Grosse
1999: Leon Gawanke, Colin Ugbekile, Tom-Eric Bappert, Nicolas Appendino
2000: Alexander Dersch, Leon Hüttl, Yegor Alanov (if he is eligible and wants to play for Germany), Eric Mik, Daniel Wirt, Philipp Mass, Tobias Möller
2001: Moritz Seider, Tommy Pasanen, Simon Gnyp, Mario Zimmermann, Philipp Preto
2002: Maximilian Glötzl, Maksymilian Szuber, Maximilian Menner, Fabrizio Pilu, Arkadiusz Dziambor

Obviously not many of them will totally pan out, but at this point I feel they are the most likely candidates to make any impact on our blueline at some point.

I think in the short term Lukas Kälble could have the biggest impact of those that are not already playing on the national team.

I believe Steven Raabe (2001) has also played some defense. Should he switch permanently he could also be a candidate.

Indeed, the two bolded names were kids I wanted to include in my post above, but their names slipped my mind while composing it. I have it on good authority that plenty of NHL scouts know who Kalble is and are watching his NCAA development. His sophomore season at Lake Superior was really good (23 pts, +17) and he has great pro size.

That same authority also says that Michaelis (and depending on his season, Tuomie) are guys the teams hope will be part of the college UFA frenzy next spring, but they're forwards of course. As is Napravnik, who has plenty of time to develop his game in college.

Pasanen is a very fascinating prospect and Germany kind of needs to hope that he'll see himself as a German in the future. His initial USHL season was nothing to write home about, but his size is outstanding and he may just need time to develop. I'm assuming that he too is looking to go the college route.

As a sidenote, Zimmermann is the smallest spit in the bucket I think I've ever seen playing "pro" hockey in Germany. Still, his stats for the promoted Landshut Cannibals team were pretty fantastic for a kid who just turned 18 a month ago and all indications are that they are planning with him in the DEL2 as well, which is awesome.

Many of the names you've headlined such as Ugbekile, Bappert, Moser, Huttl, etc. were names I choose not to mention above, because although each may sniff some time in the national team along the way, I'm more concerned about which blueliners are going to take this team to the next level. Even if we choose to see Seider as the next Uwe Krupp (and heck, he might be better), how many Erhoffs and Seidenbergs will he have joining him on the blueline while he's in his prime? Will Germany one day be at the WC, Olympics, World Cup of Hockey, whatever with a blueline that is 8-men deep in guys who are in the NHL? Or perhaps also a few in the KHL, NLA or SHL?

I can't comment too much on the 2002s, but I can make a general statement that I do think there's good reason to believe that Germany will have two entire NHL lines by 2025. They may even have three forward lines and sure, several of those guys may not have roles bigger than those we're seeing for Rieder and Kuhnhackl, but I think the PowerPlay26 program has already began taking major effect (and believe me, the program is not perfect, but that's a topic for another thread). I also think that by that time, there'll be another handful in the AHL and perhaps in a few of Europe's top leagues as well, KHL included.

Things are definitely looking upwards! But the country has had a terrible time of producing world-class Dmen.

PS) Hard to tell if Alanov will ever be seen as German internationally. What we can definitely say is that his past two seems for Red Bull Akademie and Växjö have been VERY good. I'm hoping he'll be part of the picture for Germany moving forward. Won't really know until he one day suits up for a Team Germany.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad