U18: Team Finland 2022 U18 WJC roster talk

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Don't have much hope for this team. The 5v5 looked absolutely horrendous, over half of the defensemen are allergic to handling the puck or passing to teammates, and there are few forwards that stand out in terms of skill. Getting to semi finals will require a small miracle.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Don't have much hope for this team. The 5v5 looked absolutely horrendous, over half of the defensemen are allergic to handling the puck or passing to teammates, and there are few forwards that stand out in terms of skill. Getting to semi finals will require a small miracle.
Finland wins opening game 6-2, but they didn't win it correctly. Good old-fashioned finnish pessimism, "everything is shit, except piss".🤣

Last year's team was allergic to defensive game and goalies were allergic to stopping pucks. And the team before that was allergic to themselves. Last year's team also had lot of potential to have 3 scoring lines, but 1st line did all the scoring. Kemell was cursed, he had like 900 shots and 3 goals(2 goals in the semifinal). Lambert ruined his own game and his lines game by hoarding the puck all the time, Lambert probably had an minor injury though. Last year's team had lot of skill but still they got annihilated by Sweden in the bronze medal game.

But today 1st line scored two goals(Kemell, Lassila), 2nd line scored two goals(Nyman, Rönni), 3rd line scored two goals(Hämeenaho, Uronen) and the 4rth line didn't allow any goals. Exactly what the last year's team was supposed to do. Kiviharju is unbelievable good, he's literally a child and he's a leading defenseman in a junior national team. Kulonummi was a different human being, last year he was a trainwreck like the rest of the defense.

I am cautiously optimistic but team USA is scary good and so is Canada eventhough they are getting destroyed by USA right now. Sweden have a great group too, they lost to Latvia but accidents happen. I don't see Finland having any problems to reach the semifinal stage but it's going to be one heck of a job to pry away a medal from those guys.

Reactions: illone84

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Finnish Eye of Ra

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Finland wins opening game 6-2, but they didn't win it correctly. Good old-fashioned finnish pessimism, "everything is shit, except piss".🤣

Last year's team was allergic to defensive game and goalies were allergic to stopping pucks. And the team before that was allergic to themselves. Last year's team also had lot of potential to have 3 scoring lines, but 1st line did all the scoring. Kemell was cursed, he had like 900 shots and 3 goals(2 goals in the semifinal). Lambert ruined his own game and his lines game by hoarding the puck all the time, Lambert probably had an minor injury though. Last year's team had lot of skill but still they got annihilated by Sweden in the bronze medal game.

But today 1st line scored two goals(Kemell, Lassila), 2nd line scored two goals(Nyman, Rönni), 3rd line scored two goals(Hämeenaho, Uronen) and the 4rth line didn't allow any goals. Exactly what the last year's team was supposed to do. Kiviharju is unbelievable good, he's literally a child and he's a leading defenseman in a junior national team. Kulonummi was a different human being, last year he was a trainwreck like the rest of the defense.

I am cautiously optimistic but team USA is scary good and so is Canada eventhough they are getting destroyed by USA right now. Sweden have a great group too, they lost to Latvia but accidents happen. I don't see Finland having any problems to reach the semifinal stage but it's going to be one heck of a job to pry away a medal from those guys.
Not about winning "correctly" or not. And Finland would have won only 4-2 without empty netters. Before this, Finland lost 1-6 to USA. I see Finland losing vs USA, Czech Republic and Canada.

However, I guess it was overly pessimistic, since it's still possible Finland wins its group and gets to play vs Germany, which should be a win in quarters. Sweden lost to Latvia at all. But I guess Finland could still lose to either Sweden or Latvia. I'm not sure which of the two is more likely - Finland tends to be good for one loss vs a bad team per tournament.
Finnish Eye of Ra
Now this just is not correct in the slightest. His is (hopefully) ironic and pretty ridiculous, mine are legitimate concerns, I'd like to think.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Has anyone ever figured out why Leinonen is not rated by the Finnish coaching staff? Seems like he never plays the important games.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Why isn't Kemell playing now against Latvia? I missed what the commentator said about him. Is it an injury or is the coach just recycling players for resting purposes or protecting them from injuries?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Why isn't Kemell playing now against Latvia? I missed what the commentator said about him. Is it an injury or is the coach just recycling players for resting purposes or protecting them from injuries?
If he's not injured and the coach's just recycling players, it's pretty ridiculously stupid against the most important team for the sake of winning the group. If Finland loses to Latvia, Latvia very likely wins the group. Finland should ice its strongest team.

Reactions: Mestaruus

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Why the hell Marttila is playing 8 defenseman and forcing Kiviharju to babysit Kulonummi? This makes no sense.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Appreciate the player and stop shitting on everyone else.
No thanks. I give my honest opinion on everyone.

For example, I appreciate that Salin's played much better this game than the last. I don't appreciate that Uronen is a complete waste of space on the first line, or that Grönlund still is mediocre. I appreciate that Halttunen has been good today. I don't appreciate that Minkkinen still is completely lost defensively and can't make a play without giving up the puck.

There's an ignore option if you only enjoy cheerleaders.

As for Kiviharju, he made plenty of hard passes, saucer passes etc. that his teammates fumbled on. That happened, and it would benefit if he played with players who could receive such passes. NHL players tend to be able to, for example. If you don't like me saying that, too bad.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
No thanks. I give my honest opinion on everyone.

For example, I appreciate that Salin's played much better this game than the last. I don't appreciate that Uronen is a complete waste of space on the first line, or that Grönlund still is mediocre. I appreciate that Halttunen has been good today. I don't appreciate that Minkkinen still is completely lost defensively and can't make a play without giving up the puck.

There's an ignore option if you only enjoy cheerleaders.

As for Kiviharju, he made plenty of hard passes, saucer passes etc. that his teammates fumbled on. That happened, and it would benefit if he played with players who could receive such passes. NHL players tend to be able to, for example. If you don't like me saying that, too bad.
U18 team is bound to have a wild fluctuation in player talent. You're setting ridiculous expectations to young kids most of who are going to pan out as Liiga players at best.

You always do this by the way. Any player you like, you'll try to pump their tires by ragging on other players. Grow up.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Salin and Kulonummi are only draft relevant defenders for 2022 in addition to overagers Christoffer Sedoff and Jiri Pärssinen. Laakso is borderline late round pick if some team really likes him. Minkkinen and Kärki are top 2023 eligibles with Pieniniemi. Kiviharju is once in a generation talent just because others arent his level they are not crap players.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Its a pleasure to watch Kiviharju play. Haven't really seen him play before, damn he seems good.

Just have to hope that he won't end up in a place like Winnipeg, a Finnish D-men graveyard. Few years until his draft anyways.

Reactions: MarVell

ijuka

May 14, 2016
U18 team is bound to have a wild fluctuation in player talent. You're setting ridiculous expectations to young kids most of who are going to pan out as Liiga players at best.

You always do this by the way. Any player you like, you'll try to pump their tires by ragging on other players. Grow up.
So? It still would be great if he could play with players who can receive passes.

Indeed, there are wild fluctuations. This year's group is unfortunately not great, especially with Kemell out. That wasn't exactly a secret even before the tournament started. I'm indeed voicing my frustration with that. What exactly would you like me to do? I'm trying to gauge the players and giving my opinions on them. That's something I do as a hobby.

Laine? I only started following him during his u18 season. And I mostly haven't been such a big fan of him anyway since he started playing more timidly after his concussion in his rookie season. Although I do think that Maurice also had his part in ruining him. Who I don't think deserves to be the second-longest tenured NHL coach. Is that me putting him down or having an accurate assessment?

Kaapo Kakko's first NHL game, I said he should be in AHL. Was that me putting the coach down, or was it an accurate assessment?

Indeed, I'd say I'm overly critical of players I like, and disappointed when others might think they're doing fine, when I know they could be doing better. Similarly, when Kiviharju is holding back or has to alter his style of play to his teammates I'll recognize it - I've followed his play since he was, what, 10? Indeed, I'd like to see him play without having to play down to his teammates.

Now, as for telling me to grow up, how about not making it personal? I'm just minding my business.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Really dissapointed in Kaskimäki so far, hasn't done anything. Uronen and Halttunen have been much better.

Kiviharju is out of this world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad