WJC: Team Finland 2018 U20 WJC Roster Talk

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
If Eemeli out plays Robin Salo then he has chances to crack TOP6 with Juolevi,Heiskanen,Vaakanainen,Jokiharju and Valimaki.

Yes Robin Salo's year in Vaasan Sport liiga team has been bad.
But it's not just that Salo has played badly.

Salo has been a lot in the pressbox ( healthy scratched).
His ice-time and point production are dropped etc.

Vaasan Sport is bottom team in SM liiga and whole organisation is big chaos
( just like Buffalo Sabres in NHL).

There's ( inside in sport organisation) been a lot talk to questioning coaching staffs jobs.
And their abilities to handle the team including Sport fans boycotting team and their games.

Someones have said that Vaasan Sport head coach Tomek Valtonen has lost entire locker-room.
And team isn't his control anymore. So Salo's season so far has been total nightmare.
Thanks for the response.

Seems Rasanen may actually have a chance.

Karnapuntti

Apr 20, 2017
Who on here is a drafted NHL prospect?

Almost all of them are.

1st rounders:
#3 2017 Heiskanen
#5 2016 Juolevi
#16 2017 Välimäki
#18 2017 Vaakanainen
#24 2017 Vesalainen
#29 2017 Jokiharju
#30 2017 Tolvanen

2nd rounders:
#40 2017 Heponiemi
#42 2017 Luostarinen
#43 2016 Kuokkanen
#46 2017 Salo
#54 2017 Luukkonen
#58 2017 Ikonen
#59 2017 E. Räsänen

3rd rounders:
#71 2017 Kotkansalo

5th rounders:
#119 2016 Laavainen
#120 2016 Koivula

6th rounders:
#153 2016 A. Räsänen
#156 2016 Tuulola
#163 2016 Nurmi

Practically Finnish defense will consist of 5 firsts and 2-3 seconds. Not bad for an European country.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Thanks for the response.

Seems Rasanen may actually have a chance.

Yeah Rasanen has chance to play Robin Salo out of TOP6.
But if he can't do that he's fine in 7th dman's role.

Honestly said Eemeli's physical effort and ability to play hard north american style physical hockey is needed in first game vs Canada so i'll hope that Eemeli makes in the final roster.

As a 7th dman Eemeli probably won't play much in powerplay but in penalty killing he'll be useful guy.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Yeah Rasanen has chance to play Robin Salo out of TOP6.
But if he can't do that he's fine in 7th dman's role.

Honestly said Eemeli's physical effort and ability to play hard north american style physical hockey is needed in first game vs Canada so i'll hope that Eemeli makes in the final roster.

As a 7th dman Eemeli probably won't play much in powerplay but in penalty killing he'll be useful guy.
Larger role next year?

Samuel Desbiens

Dec 5, 2017
Quebec City, Quebec
Do you think Kupari will have a big role on this Finland team? He should make the team in my opinion but I try to figure where he could be in the lineup...

Does he have a legitimate chance of making the TOP9? 13th forward?

I have to admit that your defence (Juolevi, Jokiharju, Vaakanainen, Heiskanen, Valiimaki, Rasanen and Salo) is scary. It is a pretty good D core. With Luukkonen between the pipes, you're gonna have a dangerous team and you'll be able to challenge Canada and United States in the group A.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Imagine Heiskanen feeding Heponiemi feeding Tolvanen... TAIVAS VARJELE

Is there a schedule for Finlands WJC games out so I can tell my phone to remind me?

Monaakko

Oct 8, 2011
Finland
What kind of PP lineups do you see for the team? It seems to me we lack right handed shots. Heponiemi, Tolvanen and Vesalainen all play the same spot on their club teams, so will be interesting to see how it is sorted out.

PP1: Heponiemi and Heiskanen QBing, Tolvanen as primary shooter, Vesalainen/Heiskanen secondary, Räsänen as screen/cleaning up rebounds.

Räsänen​
Heponiemi - Vesalainen - Tolvanen
Heiskanen​

PP2: Juolevi and Jokiharju QBing, Ikonen primary shooter, Kuokkanen/the D-men secondary, Koivula as screen/rebounds

Koivula
Ikonen - Kuokkanen - Juolevi
Jokiharju​

Wasn't really sure who to put as a screen on PP2, so went with Koivula. Then there's Välimäki who could have a spot somewhere but didn't fit here.

Isola

Dec 4, 2012
Finland
He should absolutely make the team based on his performances on NT games. He was on fire at last u18 under the same coach.
Ahokas wasn't coach at the last U18, Juuso Nieminen was. Anyway, I think he will make the team.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
What kind of PP lineups do you see for the team? It seems to me we lack right handed shots. Heponiemi, Tolvanen and Vesalainen all play the same spot on their club teams, so will be interesting to see how it is sorted out.

Räsänen(middle)-Vesalainen(side of the net)
Ikonen(left point)-Heiskanen(blueline)-Tolvanen(right faceoff dot)

Koivula(middle)-Kuokkanen(side of the net)
Tuulola(left point)-Juolevi(blueline)-Heponiemi(right wall)

Lacking a right handed shot for the second unit. Tuulola is probably the best shooter we have for that spot.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Lacking a right handed shot for the second unit. Tuulola is probably the best shooter we have for that spot.
Not an ideal choice either, but Jokiharju is also an option.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Räsänen(middle)-Vesalainen(side of the net)
Ikonen(left point)-Heiskanen(blueline)-Tolvanen(right faceoff dot)

Koivula(middle)-Kuokkanen(side of the net)
Tuulola(left point)-Juolevi(blueline)-Heponiemi(right wall)

I feel like Heponiemi and Tolvanen on same unit is a must. They are like the Bäckström and ovi, or Stamkos and Kucherov, of this team

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I'm not sure about Heponiemi's status, has not been in the lineup the last couple of games, could be injured.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
What are your expectations on Ikonen? He has been struggling this year. How do you think he will do playing against younger competition?

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
What are your expectations on Ikonen? He has been struggling this year. How do you think he will do playing against younger competition?

Ikonen's been playing well lately, should get a top 6 center spot and big role on the PP. He's always played well vs kids, should have a good tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad