Team Finland @ 2013 World Championships

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
^Korpikoski is injured currently and Filppula is ufa this summer so they are pretty uncertain to come. Also Ruutu has been injured a lot this season
Korpikoski's injury is apparently nothing that means he's out for the rest of the season, in fact it appears as if his return is up to a matter of days.

And Filppula may quite well resign before summer.

Am I saying that the we have relatively decent odds that we'll get those guys? No. But it's not simple wishful thinking either.

The bottom line is that this team can still resemble anything from a subpar EHT squad to somewhat decent WHC one. We'll just have to wait and see which one turns up.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
So yes, even two relatively high-profile NHLers - if one of them is Filppula - could make quite the difference.

The problem is that Filppula's the only one out of those who could make a real difference, mostly because he can play center which seems to be the weakest area compared to the last two years. One Korpikoski doesn't really matter if we don't have a good center to feed him, and even Filppula is a much better winger than a center. Getting all three of Filppula, Ruutu and Korpikoski would be huge for this team, but it seems like an unlikely scenario. We'll have to wait until the 30th to know for sure what happens though. The only name I'm relatively sure will be given out then or maybe even a day or two before is Rinne, I have no idea about the others.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
The problem is that Filppula's the only one out of those who could make a real difference, mostly because he can play center which seems to be the weakest area compared to the last two years. One Korpikoski doesn't really matter if we don't have a good center to feed him, and even Filppula is a much better winger than a center. Getting all three of Filppula, Ruutu and Korpikoski would be huge for this team, but it seems like an unlikely scenario.
It doesn't really matter where Filppula is better at - being placed at center is no oddity or rarity to him.

And yes, this team's look - at least on paper - really hangs on getting a solid centre from somewhere. Besides Kontiola, that is. Without one, every other NHLer will be nothing but flavor.

So I guess we may as well brace ourselves that the team may end up looking kinda bad. But it's got one thing riding for it - most of the faces on it are NOT the ones we've seen for years on end. Salminen, Osala, Haataja, Viitaluoma and Ramstedt are factors that are currently neither good or bad, but unknown. They're not those viuhkolas or kallios or pärssinens Erkka used to populate his team with whenever he found himself lacking NHLers.

It may not be a team full of reliability, but it is one full of opportunity. And there is currently one coach in Finland I think can seize opportunity better than anyone.

Luckily, it's exactly the man we have for the job.

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
Optimistic but ill try. This is the only wAy we will fight for gold.

Korpikoski- Filppula- Ruutu
Armia- Kontiola - Salminen
Pesonen- Leino- Aaltonen
Joensuu-Petrell-Hartikainen
+Pihlström-Ramstedt-Osala

Timonen-Salo
Vatanen-Väänänen
Mäenpää-Hietanen
Ristolainen-Jalasvaara
Lepistö

Rinne
Raanta
Aittokallio/Ortio

And players that should never be on our nt and make me feel sick!
Viitaluoma, Lahti, Hytönen, wirtanen, Kukkonen, savinainen, koskiranta

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Korpikoski- Filppula- Ruutu
Armia- Kontiola - Salminen
Pesonen- Leino- Aaltonen
Joensuu-Petrell-Hartikainen
+Enlund-Pihlström-kiiskinen-Ramstedt

Timonen-Väänänen
Vatanen-Jalasvaara
Mäenpää-Hietanen
Ristolainen-Lepsitö

Rinne
Rämö
Raanta

Joensuu: Islanders currently going to playoffs. As hard as it is to believe.
Petrell: Not a centre.
Enlund: Not coming.
Kiiskinen: Injured. Not coming.
Rämö: Not coming.

Try again.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Vehanen's declined as well: http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/mmjaakie...tarivahti-vehanen-ei-pelaa-kevaan-mm-kisoissa

If Rinne doesn't come after all, our goalie situation's going to look rather tricky and not in a good way.

Is there a reason for this mass exodus or is it just a bunch of unfortunate coincidences? I don't remember this many high-profile players ever refusing at the same time before.

In other news, Petrell was injured in last night's game. Don't know how serious it is yet, but he had to leave the game.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
If Rinne doesn't come after all, our goalie situation's going to look rather tricky and not in a good way.
Vehanen would have brought a nice bout of reliability, but let's remember that whichever goalie can take us all the way. Rinne has never been a rainmaker on these tournaments either (of course it DOES make the team look better if he comes).

Is there a reason for this mass exodus or is it just a bunch of unfortunate coincidences? I don't remember this many high-profile players ever refusing at the same time before.
It's a string of unfortunate injuries, mostly. Lehterä, Immonen, Niskala, all out due to that. If those three were in, our prospects would look so much better.

And it's not all bad. In fact, our European winger pool is of quite HIGH quality this year. Osala and Salminen are up-and-coming ones who are in good form, and every regular we've used to seeing over the last years (Aaltonen, Pesonen, Pihlström, etc) are present and accounted for. Sure, the final squad could use improvements, but that is mostly dependent on NHLers.

As Jussi put it earlier, Kapanen (and Vehanen) are no surprises really. They were actually flashing the possibility of retiring from NT duties last spring already.

As for other euro goalies... I don't know what's up with Ahonen, but Rämö might've declined due to the weedgate. Maybe he's afraid somebody might bring it up.

Last edited:

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
Needles said:
Ville Leino - Tuomo Ruutu - Juhamatti Aaltonen
Jussi Jokinen - Jori Lehterä - Joel Armia
Teemu Hartikainen - Jarkko Immonen - Oskar Osala
Lennart Petrell - Aleksander Barkov - Ville Nieminen

Ossi Väänänen - Kimmo Timonen
Janne Niskala - Sami Vatanen
Sami Lepistö - Anssi Salmela
Ilari Melart - Topi Jaakola

Pekka Rinne
Joni Ortio
Antti Raanta

Update:

Tuomo Ruutu - Ville Leino - Joel Armia
Niklas Hagman - Petri Kontiola - Sakari Salminen
Oskar Osala - Ville Viitaluoma - Juha-Pekka Haataja
Antti Pihlström - Petteri Wirtanen - Ville Nieminen

Sami Lepistö - Mikko Mäenpää
Ossi Väänänen - Mikko Kousa
Lasse Kukkonen - Rasmus Ristolainen
Ilari Melart - Teemu Laakso

Pekka Rinne
Joni Ortio
Antti Raanta

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Game today @18.30 in Pori vs Switzerland.
Game will be shown on mtv3 max sport1 and on http://www.katsomo.fi/?progId=172771.

Lines

Joni Ortio (Atte Engren)

Sakari Salminen - Ville Viitaluoma - Juha-Pekka Haataja
Mikko Mäenpää - Mikko Kousa

Janne Pesonen - Teemu Ramstedt - Juhamatti Aaltonen
Sami Lepistö - Ville Lajunen

Niklas Hagman - Petteri Wirtanen - Oskar Osala
Ossi Väänänen - Teemu Laakso

Antti Pihlström - Miika Lahti - Marko Anttila
Lasse Kukkonen - Rasmus Ristolainen

extra f: Pekka Jormakka

Switzerland

G:
Gerber / Stephan

F:
Suri - Ambühl - Bürgler
Stancescu - Walker - Simek
Bodenman - :eek::eek::eek::eek:i - Hollenstein
Bieber - Trachsler - Monnet

extra f: Rüfenacht

D:
Blindenbacher - Grossmann
Seger - Chiesa
Von Gunten - Blum
Vauclair - Helbling

Last edited:

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

It's Murphy's Law. Everything that can possibly go wrong is going down the drain. :cry:

The game:

Wow, this team is bad. Laakso- terrible, Kukkonen can't stay on his skates and seems to be late all the time (Ristolainen's actually been better than Kukkonen so far...). With play like this, they deserve to lose to the Swiss. Mäenpää's showing his best side again, he's having serious difficulties playing with Kousa. In addition, the Swiss keep on out muscling us.

Last edited:

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
+Lepistö-Lajunen
+Viitaluoma
+Aaltonen
+Salminen

-Ortio
-Kukkonen
-Laakso just terrible in his own zone
-Mäenpää-Kousa can't get any passes out of the own zone

0-1 after first, goal by Bodenmann (Gunten,:eek::eek::eek::eek:i)

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Ortio's been a lot better in the 2nd period than in the 1st. Same goes for Kukkonen. I hope they can afford to cut Haataja from the team. He's starting to look like he did earlier in the season in the EHT tournaments = not good. While we're at it, let's cut Kousa too. He's gotten plenty of chances this season but is still bad.

None of the centers have really stood out to me so far in a positive way. Ok, maybe Viitaluoma a little, but not enough to merit a mention.

2-1 after the 2nd (Laakso & Salminen scored for Finland)

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Ortio was the MVP in this game. Let in one easy goal, but was amazing after that. Switzerland was the better team overall tonight, but Ortio kept them out.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
2-1 final score

+++Ortio was shaky in the first but amazing in the 3rd period
++Aaltonen nice dekes and passes, too bad pesonen and ramstedt were unable to finish them
+Osala Good game for him hits and roughing after the whistle. Simple passes and shots.
+Ristolainen Good game for him was bit lost at his own zone at times but good passing and confidence with the puck
+Pihlström Once again good defensive play and energy.
+Wirtanen very good at pk and in front of the net
+Lahti good at faceoffs
+Väänänen "isäntä" once again
+Salminen, goal and few changes
+Lajunen-Lepistö solid in their own end

+/- Laakso was lost in the first period but scored and was better after that
+/- Viitaluoma good in the first(shot off the crossbar) but was bad defensively

-Pesonen, can't score Aaltonen set him up nicely few times but meh.
-Hagman, invisible, didn't too anything offensively,didn't hit,didn't pass
-Haataja, Slow, didn't create any changes(well that lucky bounce on salminen's goal) , no shots.
-Kousa-Mäenpää just terrible in their own end. Mäenpää with few turnovers once again
-Kukkonen was bit lost

-no shot blocking by forwards
-jalonen didn't switch the d pairings kousa-mäenpää, väänänen-laakso even though they didn't work.
-no osala on the powerplay

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
-no shot blocking by forwards
-jalonen didn't switch the d pairings kousa-mäenpää, väänänen-laakso even though they didn't work.
-no osala on the powerplay
Apart from the first bit, these are pretty moot critiques at this stage, when they're still obviously trying out different things. Osala not seeing PP time was clearly due to letting other hopefuls show what they can do.

That being said, how'd Ramstedt look to you guys? Centres should be under extra scrutiny given the current situation. Viitaluoma's been surprisingly good and is probably going to make the team, and in a far more prominent role than anybody could have predicted.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
I know they are trying different stuff on the pp but jalonen said "– Ylivoima oli sitä, mitä kolmas erä muutenkin - eli ihan syvältä sieltä itsestään" so seemed kinda weird that he didn't switch osala back there.

As for ramstedt he wasn't that noticable but worked hard and he brought the puck up to offensive zone well couple of times. Few good passes on the powerplay and two shots on goal. Nothing special. Without nhl helps he will be #3C. He ahead of lahti,hytönen and wirtanen at this point.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Ramstedt was trying, which is more than you can say about a lot of other players, but his overall game leaves a lot to be desired. He made a few good defensive plays in this game, but based on my extended viewing of his game this season, he doesn't really have any idea what he's doing when he's trying to defend. He's also soft.

Neither him or Viitaluoma should be anywhere near the final team, but since all our other capable centers are either otherwise occupied, injured or unwilling, this is what it's come to.

Jalonen sounded and looked very angry after the game. The overall effort was lackluster. Aside from Osala, the team had no character and most the most part no skill either.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
According to the first issue of Urheilusanomat (the former Veikkaaja), neither Timonen nor Salo will be at the Worlds for defense, no forwards either(from teams not making the playoffs).

TheFeistyFinn

Dec 31, 2011
According to the first issue of Urheilusanomat (the former Veikkaaja), neither Timonen nor Salo will be at the Worlds for defense, no forwards either(from teams not making the playoffs).

i think they are just painting the devils. i think/hope few NHL'ers gonna come atleast. Rinne & Lehtonen would be good start but forwards & defence would be very much needed also.
Salo won't come that's 100% sure but Timonen just might come...he would be excellent captain. personally i want Timonen to be captain at Sochi. some forwards will come also...only time will tell. lets not get depressed untill we know NHL players status.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I can't even listen to that song. Oh God, they really used Juti?!

i think they are just painting the devils. i think/hope few NHL'ers gonna come atleast. Rinne & Lehtonen would be good start but forwards & defence would be very much needed also.
Salo won't come that's 100% sure but Timonen just might come...he would be excellent captain. personally i want Timonen to be captain at Sochi. some forwards will come also...only time will tell. lets not get depressed untill we know NHL players status.

Timonen has strongly implied that he's not coming, thinking he is coming is more like fantasizing at this point. He said these tournaments are for younger players. He will also not be captain in Sochi, that's like 100% certain. He will be alternate captain, but that's it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes