Team defense

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The shitting will increase. His contract has made him untradeable.

Years 5, 6 and 7 of his contract are 10 M true salary and 8 AAV. By year 8 he is back to 8 and 8.

f*** this team and penny pinching. They are not smart enough to make all contracts back diving!!!
Like come on. Be realistic, you knew who the owner was when he signed that deal. The concept was the player is supposed to improve and the cap goes up. The opposite happened in this situation. Which no one expected or saw coming. That's the risk of the long deals.

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
I don't really believe much of that. Sure there are times when you don't have the energy to go all out rushing the puck. But do you really think that's been Chabot's issue the past few years? Chabot's issue seems to be a lack of hockey IQ. He flat out makes too many bonehead plays and decisions to be an 8 AAV defenceman. That's got nothing to do ice time. I also sometimes question his strength

Chabot rushes or otherwise carries the puck a lot. And he does it well. He also makes decent decisions at the O blue line, dumping it deep when he can't gain the zone and gaining the zone when he can. That's not the problem with him. Carrying the puck isn't the issue. It's literally everything else other than carrying the puck.

I do think that sometimes it looks like he was hitting the bong pregame, totally looks too casual. But I also think that this was something that was engrained into his play style by a) playing on bad teams where pressure was off for most of the season, and b) bad habits from clearly having too much ice time and not playing with urgency.

He certainly rarely shows any signs of burst, something that used to make him standout in his younger years.

Either way, I think that DJ has run his course and the next coaching staff will let us know what's going on there. I refuse to believe he is as poor a player as he currently is showing.

Reactions: Alex1234

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't really believe much of that. Sure there are times when you don't have the energy to go all out rushing the puck. But do you really think that's been Chabot's issue the past few years? Chabot's issue seems to be a lack of hockey IQ. He flat out makes too many bonehead plays and decisions to be an 8 AAV defenceman. That's got nothing to do ice time. I also sometimes question his strength

Chabot rushes or otherwise carries the puck a lot. And he does it well. He also makes decent decisions at the O blue line, dumping it deep when he can't gain the zone and gaining the zone when he can. That's not the problem with him. Carrying the puck isn't the issue. It's literally everything else other than carrying the puck.
To completely dismiss the concept that a player can be coached and only look at the negative in a player to prove your point is kinda strange if you want the team to be successful. He has struggled you're not wrong but that doesn't mean he can't get back to what he was under the right guidance. Without even trying would be idiotic. They have too much invested. I think they would need a really hard coach but it's certainly not impossible. Players don't just lose it. Not at this age.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
To completely dismiss the concept that a player can be coached and only look at the negative in a player to prove your point is kinda strange if you want the team to be successful. He has struggled you're not wrong but that doesn't mean he can't get back to what he was under the right guidance. Without even trying would be idiotic. They have too much invested.
It's what he's struggling with that is the issue to me, not that he's struggling

The one part of his game that seems to be still intact and elite is getting the puck on his stick and running with it

It's literally everything else.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It's what he's struggling with that is the issue to me, not that he's struggling

The one part of his game that seems to be still intact and elite is getting the puck on his stick and running with it

It's literally everything else.
All coach able traits. Matter of choice and will. Until he is challenged we will never know. But we know he can still make plays like the passes to giroux and tarasenko.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Like come on. Be realistic, you knew who the owner was when he signed that deal. The concept was the player is supposed to improve and the cap goes up. The opposite happened in this situation. Which no one expected or saw coming. That's the risk of the long deals.
it is suicide.

all long contracts should be back diving to make them tradable.

Tavares in TO.. 16 M the first 3 years, 8 M the last 2. The middle 2 are at some number close to his AAV.

If you are penny pinching and sign backward rising contract, good f'ng luck. Moving on from Chabot could mean 2 first rounders. How many teams are desperate for 8 AAV, but 10 in salary!!! and not the elite play they want.

can you imagine if he was 8 AAV and 6, 5.5, 5 M in true salary the last 3 years!!!! he would fetch a first rounder back.

and even if he improves/had improved? what protects you against a trade request, an injury to slow him down.. a down turn in your team, needing you to rebuild.

as a bloody minimum his AAV and salary should be the same.

if you cannot sign long contracts that are back diving.. Don't sign them. Let the player walk at 27 or 7 years service and not bind yourself foolishly.

a chunk of the long term contracts go up in mid years or near the end.. Wahh, if things collapse. the Sens will run out of #1 picks to ship out in no time.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
it is suicide.

all long contracts should be back diving to make them tradable.

Tavares in TO.. 16 M the first 3 years, 8 M the last 2. The middle 2 are at some number close to his AAV.

If you are penny pinching and sign backward rising contract, good f'ng luck. Moving on from Chabot could mean 2 first rounders. How many teams are desperate for 8 AAV, but 10 in salary!!! and not the elite play they want.

can you imagine if he was 8 AAV and 6, 5.5, 5 M in true salary the last 3 years!!!! he would fetch a first rounder back.

and even if he improves/had improved? what protects you against a trade request, an injury to slow him down.. a down turn in your team, needing you to rebuild.

as a bloody minimum his AAV and salary should be the same.

if you cannot sign long contracts that are back diving.. Don't sign them. Let the player walk at 27 or 7 years service and not bind yourself foolishly.

a chunk of the long term contracts go up in mid years or near the end.. Wahh, if things collapse. the Sens will run out of #1 picks to ship out in no time.
I mean Melnyk... Thats the reality when the contract looks worse than anticipated.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Mike Kelly was on the, sigh... sick podcast (what a dumb name) with Simmer, talked sens Defence.

Brought up some interesting stats that go against the general narrative

4th fewest slot shots
2nd fewest rush chances
Middle of the pack in cycle chances

Murray mentioned a lot of the time they give up chances, it is the result of something preventable where they turn something over instead of getting it deep, and Kelly agrees, but it's an interesting discussion none the less.

Reactions: Flamingo

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
They are simply far too careless with the puck all over the ice. They aren’t hard on the puck outside a couple guys, they don’t stop enough on plays and battle.
Add to that that they throw the puck away to the other team constantly and it’s quite a mix.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
They are simply far too careless with the puck all over the ice. They aren’t hard on the puck outside a couple guys, they don’t stop enough on plays and battle.
Add to that that they throw the puck away to the other team constantly and it’s quite a mix.
There are areas that can certainly be improved on, puck management is a big one, and I find they can be a bit complacent at times, but I was admittedly surprised at the stats Kelly brought up, you don't often see those matched up with terrible defensive play.

Reactions: Wondercarrot

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Zone exits are a joke. Once they have possession in their own end, you can tell that nobody has any clue where the puck is going to go. Typically, the puck is held for too long and all passing lanes quickly get covered. Then it's a chip-out play that inevitably results in a turn over. The puck is then dumped back into our zone and it starts over again. There is zero structure.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
The shitting will increase. His contract has made him untradeable.

Years 5, 6 and 7 of his contract are 10 M true salary and 8 AAV. By year 8 he is back to 8 and 8.

f*** this team and penny pinching. They are not smart enough to make all contracts back diving!!!
Don't kid yourself, all NHL teams would still want Chabot if they had the space. Chabot isn't the problem, our team defence is.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Don't kid yourself, all NHL teams would still want Chabot if they had the space. Chabot isn't the problem, our team defence is.
a #3/4 D man. One who is a defensive liability. Often injured.. Does not score (or produce offense) at an elite level.

will be owed 10 m, 10 m, 10 m and 8 m.. all the while his AAV is 8 M..

If indeed he is in demand.... Then go... orchestrate the traded ASAP. Get what you can.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
One thing I notice that constantly happens is that they panic relatively easily in the defensive zone and the go to play is to rim it around the boards or lob it back into the neutral zone or to ice the puck. It either gets picked off or the opposition goes right back into our zone. This process repeats several times, consecutively until they break it and eventually get it out cleanly.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Islanders 4th goal last night .. 6 seconds after the Islanders took a 3-1 lead on the PP; No time out; not taking care of the puck; getting drawn out of position; not making a save on a stoppable puck. It all starts with Chychrun here at the face off at center.

Chychrun trys to take the puck on a won draw with one hand and gets stripped .. this puck should have been the Sens
1700935167277.png

Isles take it. Chychrun has taken himself out of position
1700935270691.png

JBD comes over to attack the puck carrier leaving Lee open behind him
1700935407465.png

Lee shoots it from here and scores short side
1700935493573.png

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
One thing I notice that constantly happens is that they panic relatively easily in the defensive zone and the go to play is to rim it around the boards or lob it back into the neutral zone or to ice the puck. It either gets picked off or the opposition goes right back into our zone. This process repeats several times, consecutively until they break it and eventually get it out cleanly.
Agreed. But last night, they seemed to move the puck very effectively when they gained possession in their own zone. At least in the 1st period, they always managed to exit the zone with control, which made for a better offensive zone entry, as they moved up the ice as a unit. Yet they still managed to allow some dangerous shots against and Forsberg was a sieve. I’m at the no-more-excuses stage like most here, but I was encouraged by their play against the islanders.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Agreed. But last night, they seemed to move the puck very effectively when they gained possession in their own zone. At least in the 1st period, they always managed to exit the zone with control, which made for a better offensive zone entry, as they moved up the ice as a unit. Yet they still managed to allow some dangerous shots against and Forsberg was a sieve. I’m at the no-more-excuses stage like most here, but I was encouraged by their play against the islanders.
The islanders aren't known for their aggressive play. Lowest scoring team in the league aren't they? I'm more inclined to be encouraged if they played relatively sound defensively against teams that apply more pressure.

Reactions: Alex1234 and DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
1st goal;.. Isles win the draw following a sequence where the Sens had control and turned it over. The puck is at the point. Look at the Sens cluster immediately after the lost draw . These things should be habit.; We see 4 Islanders; 1 has already gone to the net front ; The one at the hash marks is heading there.
1700936642319.png

Two Islanders all alone. Score off a rebound here
1700936755470.png

2nd goal. Two Islanders forwards behind the D. Puck went out to the point on the boards .. A wrist shot makes it through for the deflection.
No one is trying to front that shot and the D leave them uncontested in front of the Net.
1700936399229.png

The fundamentals ... the habits that should be automatic just aren't there

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
Great post @Sens of Anarchy. All the talk of bad bounces, you make your own luck. And more structure in the d zone and less panic (and more variety of options via d structure) when transitioning out of their own zone would mean a f***load less ‘bad bounces.’

Reactions: Bileur and Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Great post @Sens of Anarchy. All the talk of bad bounces, you make your own luck. And more structure in the d zone and less panic (and more variety of options via d structure) when transitioning out of their own zone would mean a f***load less ‘bad bounces.’
The only bad bounce goal isn't in the mix there, we earned those goals against (Forsberg should have made the save on one), where we had some misfortune was on the 5th goal, no amount of "making your own luck" is preventing that one unless you expect the other team to never enter our zone.

You could argue we had some bad luck with the offside goal too I suppose, but c'est la vie.

I do find that our D not tying up sticks is an issue though, we certainly need to work on the basics of boxing out,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad