Olympics: Team China 2022 Olympics

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Crazy to think of the largely Chinese Canadian roster playing for China, but I guess everything needs to start somewhere.

Hopefully a respectable showing in the Beijing Olympics will introduce hockey to a new wave of fans (and hopefully future young players) who haven’t watched the sport before.

Seeing Hockey (or any sport for that matter) growing in a non traditional market is great to see, and is better for the game.

Reactions: perrypitts29096

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Seeing Hockey growing in a non traditional market is great to see, and is better for the game.

Have we ever even witnessed this in a context of hosting Olympics? People always say this, but there is zero evidence of that being the case after icing largely naturalized roster in Olympics.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think that it's pretty clear that the IIHF (along with the old boys club that is the Olympic committee) are going to go out of their way to ensure that china gets what it wants here in order to save face in the hockey tournament.

They should just be thankful that the NHLers won't be there as that would have been a complete disaster for the host nation.

The final roster no doubt will consist almost entirely of non Chinese developed players and it is what it is at this point.

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014

This is the reported Chinese camp roster. 10 defense and 16 forwards there, so cuts still to make.
Smith, Werek and Osipov must have some sort of IIHF exemption, otherwise they are not eligible to play for China.

Reactions: Pardus

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014

This would mean Collin Joe, Ty Schultz, Mikhail Abramov, Alex Riche, Cheng Zhang have been cut since the camp roster that was shared a few days ago.

On a related note, I haven't heard of Enlai Zheng, but the birthdate listed is the same as Ty Schultz, so that could be referring to him.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
This would mean Collin Joe, Ty Schultz, Mikhail Abramov, Alex Riche, Cheng Zhang have been cut since the camp roster that was shared a few days ago.

On a related note, I haven't heard of Enlai Zheng, but the birthdate listed is the same as Ty Schultz, so that could be referring to him.

That's his new Chinese name. Can't wait for Jake Chelios!

perrypitts29096

Dec 3, 2021
I'm already looking forward to February to see the Olympics. I hope that our team will be able to show worthy results. In general, I am happy with the results of my predictions at best odds comparison site and glad that our team showed good results.

Last edited:

DavidLamb

Nov 14, 2017
Foreigners cannot get chinese citizenship. How can China is able to circumvent IIHF rule to have so many non-ethnic chinese on their roster?

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014

From this we have "chinese names" for a few more players.

Brandon Yip - Ye Jinguang
Parker Foo - Fu Shuai
Zach Yuen - Yuen Junjie
Jason Fram - Liu Jie
Paris O'Brien - Auban Wynn

Still plenty of players listed without Chinese names here: Spencer Foo, Lockhart, Kane, Werek, Chelios, Sproul, Osipov, Smith

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Foreigners cannot get chinese citizenship. How can China is able to circumvent IIHF rule to have so many non-ethnic chinese on their roster?
As far as i know, most of the roster has been playing together as a khl team, to me thats kind of cheating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad