WC: Team Canada Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Hadn't thought of that but you are probably right.

It's an NHL GM that runs the show for Hockey Canada at the WHC. Scott Salmond may be petty enough to hold that against Makar, but I doubt an NHL GM gives 2 poops what Scott Salmond has to say about Makar.

I'm fine with Makar getting a trial invite, practice with the guys, play the 1 exhibition game, and if he has the goods, then bring him along. If not...see you next year. but I do like the player and hope he makes it.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It's an NHL GM that runs the show for Hockey Canada at the WHC. Scott Salmond may be petty enough to hold that against Makar, but I doubt an NHL GM gives 2 poops what Scott Salmond has to say about Makar.

I'm fine with Makar getting a trial invite, practice with the guys, play the 1 exhibition game, and if he has the goods, then bring him along. If not...see you next year. but I do like the player and hope he makes it.

Well any GM definitely shouldnt give a damn what Salmond thinks that's for sure.

As for Makar. it all depends on the quality of the guys who would accept an invite before extending one to him I guess but I do like what you propose here, it is probably the wisest thing, as talented as he is he is still a college freshmen after all.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Because there will be many nhl defenseman better than Makar available.
Murray is a rare case

every year there are a lot of quality NHL defensemen available. available is never the issue. willing and accepting of the invite is the issue. There is nothing wrong with bringing along theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee most talented 19 year old d-man as the 8th d-man on the roster to get in some reps, maybe a game or 2. And this year that is Makar. I couldn't care less that he chose to play a year of college before turning pro. I suppose if Makar isn't interested or is unavailable for whatever reason, then the Avs Sam Girard would be the next best option for that 8th.d-man spot.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Would love to see Darnell Nurse on the big ice.

Fantastic skater and he’s one of the few bright spots on the Oilers besides McDavid and Drai.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
and a RFA. so, unlikely. He'd be a good pick.

True, some risk on his part with an impending contract negotiation.

He’s represented us before and was a beast at the WJC against his age group.

I like his skating ability for the big ice, his puck handling and carrying the puck up ice in transition has really improved the last couple of years as well.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Time for an update.

This is the Coach Q and the Not Effing Around Crew.

Not quite the Prague Powerhouse, but close enough. We may never see a team like the Prague Powerhouse again. That was just a happy convergence of events and chemistry.

NJD, PHI and SJS are the playoff 1st.rd. additions.

T HALL

C MCDAVID

J EBERLE

J HUBERDEAU

N MACKINNON

B HORVAT

C GIROUX

S COUTURIER

T KONECNY

J SCHWARTZ

S MONAHAN

B GALLAGHER
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

M BARZAL P.L. DUBOIS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

M. E. VLASIC

B BURNS

T.J. BRODIE

A PIETRANGELO

M GIORDANO

D HAMILTON

M MATHESON

C PARAYKO
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

J ALLEN

M JONES

KEVIN POULIN (reward for Spengler and Olympics) Plays 1 game v South Korea
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Time for an update.

This is the Coach Q and the Not Effing Around Crew.

Not quite the Prague Powerhouse, but close enough. We may never see a team like the Prague Powerhouse again. That was just a happy convergence of events and chemistry.

NJD, PHI and SJS are the playoff 1st.rd. additions.

T HALL C MCDAVIDJ EBERLE
J HUBERDEAUN MACKINNONB HORVAT
C GIROUXS COUTURIERT KONECNY
J SCHWARTZS MONAHANB GALLAGHER
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
M BARZAL P.L. DUBOIS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
M. E. VLASIC B BURNS
T.J. BRODIEA PIETRANGELO
M GIORDANOD HAMILTON
M MATHESONC PARAYKO
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
J ALLEN
M JONES
KEVIN POULIN (reward for Spengler and Olympics) Plays 1 game v South Korea
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I think Hall is done with this thing now, not naming him to that world cup team was probably the last straw for him and he won't bother with the Skodas anymore.

All we can look forward to from him now is settling into his great new life down in the good old U.S. of A with his future darling American wife and retiring there in comfort to play golf while his offspring become future members of the U.S national team at all levels.

I will start the festivities off early right now, ladies and gentlemen, introducing your latest member of the U.S national junior team...............Dylan Hall!!

Or whatever his first name is that they give him.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I think Hall is done with this thing now, not naming him to that world cup team was probably the last straw for him and he won't bother with the Skodas anymore.

All we can look forward to from him now is settling into his great new life down in the good old U.S. of A with his future darling American wife and retiring there in comfort to play golf while his offspring become future members of the U.S national team at all levels.

I will start the festivities off early right now, ladies and gentlemen, introducing your latest member of the U.S national junior team...............Dylan Hall!!

Maybe! Maybe not. He may be pissed. I would be. but I also understand how Team Canadas are built. Centers who can be moved to the wing. If all you can do is play LW. then you better be a 50+50 player.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
"
“The last two times I’ve went have been an amazing experience, to experience Russia and play against hostile fans was a lot of fun,” Hall said. “Being able to win it was special. Having my family there, meeting so many guys from around the league, it’s a great time.
“I’ll probably be taking this one off. I have a couple injuries that I’d love to give some time to rest and heal, but I always love my time playing for Canada.”

Taylor Hall inspired by Devils' busy off-season: 'I don't think they're done' - Sportsnet.ca

I think this means Hall can accept invite in these year)

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Maybe! Maybe not. He may be pissed. I would be. but I also understand how Team Canadas are built. Centers who can be moved to the wing. If all you can do is play LW. then you better be a 50+50 player.

With his play this year he would waltz onto any Team Canada.

Taylor Hall doesn't have to score 50 goals or a hundred points to be an effective player at any level. He's a line driver and pushes the puck with authoritative danger to the opposition,he is a handful and even more so with the right guys that are world class talents also. I do not see how a Joe thornton gets on the world cup team over a guy like taylor hall (though to his credit Joe played allright and layed out Ryan Kesler which is never a bad thing)

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Hall has done enough that it can't be held against him if he refuses. He's been a good soldier at this tournament and Hockey Canada has ignored him on big boy rosters. As for immigration, recall that Hall himself has an Australian father who moved to Canada and eventually played in the CFL.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Hall has done enough that it can't be held against him if he refuses. He's been a good soldier at this tournament and Hockey Canada has ignored him on big boy rosters. As for immigration, recall that Hall himself has an Australian father who moved to Canada and eventually played in the CFL.

Still doesn't mean he should do what what he and so many other Canadian players do.

I HATE subsidizing their hockey program, it's subsidized enough just by the NHL. I won't even get into other things that gives them such an advantage.

These guys need to come home after their careers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad