Team Canada: 8 games in 12 Days Too Much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Mama*

Goaltender Martin Brodeur said it's not going to be easy for any team.

"It's tough going from six games to eight and doing it in 12 days. I think I've played 20 games in 40 days for New Jersey before coming here,"

Eight games is OK, but the NHL is going to have to do something. The Olympics are not going to change their schedule for us. But if it's going to be eight games, it has to be eight games in 14 days or eight games in 15 days," said Chris Pronger

Jarome Iginla, who started off these Olympics like he finished off the last ones, scoring two goals to lead Canada to the win, said it was clear the last two weeks that players were dragging their butts around the league to get to the break.

The question is, what would you rather have? Eight games with the degree of difficulty starting with Italy. Or six games with a team like Sweden right off the bat?

"I don't know yet," said Quinn.

"I really liked six games the way it finished the last time."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Jones/2006/02/16/1445967-sun.html

Look for all players to get ice time and for Team Canada to have balanced ice-times through the first few games.

That means a 7-man defensive rotation and the 13th forward being worked in on two or three lines. We have seen this plan the first two games.

Borlag

Jan 27, 2006
Helsinki, Funland
It's 8 games in 12 days because that's the time frame the olympics have. If NHL players and teams aren't happy about that, perhaps they should think about that themselves and arrange a longer break for the Olympics.

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
Topics like this have been beaten to death lately.

IMHO, the NHL should not shut down, but teams should allow their best players to play in the olympics. How many players play in the Olympics out of the entire NHL? Probably no more than 10% or so.

Then, during the Olympics, NHL teams can call up players from the farm. This means, players in the farm get a chance at the NHL level.

Seriously, why does the NHL have to compact it's schedule to have a 2 week shutdown, when both Olympics and NHL can play at the same time? Look at Soccer for example. When players have to play for their national teams, the clubs let them go, but don't miss their games.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
that stretch will be tough for everyteam so who cares, let the best team win

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The Czech are in a risky position. But their strategy to just put the skates on the ice for the group round is interesting. They've done it before and succeded.

Borlag said:
It's 8 games in 12 days because that's the time frame the olympics have. If NHL players and teams aren't happy about that, perhaps they should think about that themselves and arrange a longer break for the Olympics.

No matter if you rest 14 days before 8 games in 12 days is tough. Lets not make one more NHL in or out thread.

gobolt7

Sep 24, 2003
Florida.
Why are we only referring to team Canada here?

8 games in 12 days will be tough for whichever 2 teams get to the finals. How long is the time off between teh gold medal game and the nhl starting back again?

Last edited:

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
Ola said:
The Czech are in a risky position. But their strategy to just put the skates on the ice for the group round is interesting. They've done it before and succeded.

I am not sure if BÃ…G is just creating excuses, but it sounded like our strategy is roughly the same.

Anyway, I don't think it is possible to go at full throttle in every game in this tournament.

Mind you, any team that manages to win Sweden's group might get a nasty surprise if it turns out that the reward is a well-rested Czech team in the qf.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
IcemanTBI said:

IMHO, the NHL should not shut down, but teams should allow their best players to play in the olympics. How many players play in the Olympics out of the entire NHL? Probably no more than 10% or so.

Then, during the Olympics, NHL teams can call up players from the farm. This means, players in the farm get a chance at the NHL level.

Seriously, why does the NHL have to compact it's schedule to have a 2 week shutdown, when both Olympics and NHL can play at the same time? Look at Soccer for example. When players have to play for their national teams, the clubs let them go, but don't miss their games.

I think for the World Cup, club play is shut down entirely.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Leo N.- Finland could very well win Candas and Czech group. Canada is IMO by far the best team in the tournament. Though they aren't in the same early form the finnish team are. There is no need to plan ahead because teams in that group could finnish all over the place.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
gobolt7 said:
Why are we only referring to team Canada here?

8 games in 12 days will be tough for whichever 2 teams get to the finals. How long is the time off between teh gold medal game and the nhl starting back again?

No team have the depth Canada have so they are in fact the team that benefits the most from the short scheduele.

Big Mama*

Ola said:
No team have the depth Canada have so they are in fact the team that benefits the most from the short scheduele.

No doubt Team Canada benefits, their 7th d-man, McCabe is the only defenceman in the NHL scoring at more than a point a game clip. That is a definite advantage.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Big Mama said:
No doubt Team Canada benefits, their 7th d-man, McCabe is the only defenceman in the NHL scoring at more than a point a game clip. That is a definite advantage.

He's also the only player on Team Canada who has been on the ice for all 3 goals scored by the opposition.

DevilFisch

Jan 11, 2003
Edison, NJ
www.inlouwetrust.com
IcemanTBI said:

I don't think the NHL wants to compete head-to-head with the Olympics in terms of coverage. Given the Olympics bring out the best of the best (as you say the top 10% of players), not many would turn to the NHL to see non first-class hockey. (Related Aside: I think it's a major mistake for MLS to be running games AS the World Cup is going on; because I would think people who want to watch soccer, they'll watch the World Cup over the MLS just about every time.)

Big Mama*

NyQuil said:
He's also the only player on Team Canada who has been on the ice for all 3 goals scored by the opposition.

He needs a new defence partner. :)

mooseOAK*

NyQuil said:
I'm pretty sure that there were other players out there also. I didn't see the German goal but one Italian goal was fluky when he knocked the puck out of mid air and it ended up on the guy's stick and the other Hrudey said that Brodeur should have been covering the low part of the net but he doesn't play the butterfly style.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
Big Mama said:
He needs a new defence partner.

I'm sorry, but with each new fruitless attempt to defend McCabe you sound more and more like a homer, but this one really takes the cake :biglaugh:

Big Mama*

mooseOAK said:
I'm pretty sure that there were other players out there also. I didn't see the German goal but one Italian goal was fluky when he knocked the puck out of mid air and it ended up on the guy's stick and the other Hrudey said that Brodeur should have been covering the low part of the net but he doesn't play the butterfly style.

On the German goal he came out of the box and covered the far point guy. Sakic didn't go to his point guy and the goal was scored.

EliCash

Aug 2, 2005
Boston
DevilFisch said:
I don't think the NHL wants to compete head-to-head with the Olympics in terms of coverage. Given the Olympics bring out the best of the best (as you say the top 10% of players), not many would turn to the NHL to see non first-class hockey. (Related Aside: I think it's a major mistake for MLS to be running games AS the World Cup is going on; because I would think people who want to watch soccer, they'll watch the World Cup over the MLS just about every time.)

I don't think owners of clubs with a lot of Olympians would stand for their teams having to compete short-handed for two weeks (i.e., Avs have like 10 Olympians!). In the MLS, the WC and qualifying has been a fact of life since the league first existed, so no one complains.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Yeah, 8 games in 12 days is too much for any team.

I think either the NHL should shut down earlier and allow hockey to start on day 1 of the Olympics, or more players should be allowed to be named to the team.

I'm personally in favor of the NHL shutting down earlier. The Olympics started on the 10 and the NHL closed on the 12. The NHL could have closed on the 9th and players could have started playing on the 11th or 12th.

3 or 4 days in a short tournament like this make a big difference. The NHL could compensate for this by starting the season a week earlier in Olympic years.

Golden Slumbers

Dec 26, 2005
Ottawa
IcemanTBI said:

Are you kidding? That would be like half the lineup for Ottawa, Colorado, Philly and others. Nobody wants to field a B-Team for two weeks, it could ruin a team's chances or playoff seeding.

I know I wouldnt want to watch the Sens without Chara, Redden, Spezza, Heatley, Hasek, Volchenkov, Schubert, Meszaros, and Alfie.

Borlag

Jan 27, 2006
Helsinki, Funland
Jay Fresh said:
Are you kidding? That would be like half the lineup for Ottawa, Colorado, Philly and others. Nobody wants to field a B-Team for two weeks, it could ruin a team's chances or playoff seeding.

I know I wouldnt want to watch the Sens without Chara, Redden, Spezza, Heatley, Hasek, Volchenkov, Schubert, Meszaros, and Alfie.

Not to mention the amount of players who'd choose to continue playing in NHL during the Olympics. That'd basically be the worst case scenario for both the NHL and the Olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad