Prospect Info: Team Board Mock Draft Pick #7

Who will the Devils pick #7

• Rodion Amirov, LW, Toros Neftekamsk (MHL)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yaroslav Askarov, G, SKA-Neva St. Petersburg (VHL)

• Mavrik Bourque, C, Shawinigan Cataractes (QMJHL)

• Helge Grans, D, Malmö Redhawks (SHL)

• Kaiden Guhle, D, Prince Albert Raiders (WHL)

• Dylan Holloway, C/LW, Univ. of Wisconsin (NCAA)

• Hendrix Lapierre, C, Chicoutimi Saguenéens (QMJHL)

• Anton Lundell, C, HIFK (Liiga)

• Dawson Mercer, RW, Chicoutimi Saguenéens (QMJHL)

• Connor Zary, C, Kamloops Blazers (WHL)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
This is pretty much the dream scenario. Highly doubt both D fall to 7 on draft day.

I’m taking Sanderson. Ecstatic with either though. We essentially get to choose between a Heiskanen and a Makar.
They are projected to be that good ?!
I say hell yes to that then .I wanted Rossi or Raymond over the two D but not if they have a legit chance at being that good

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
upload_2020-9-15_0-6-17.jpeg

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Sanderson is the proper pick in this situation. Yes, Drysdale is flashy and he’s electric but Sanderson is the complete package. If Drysdale was in the mold of a Niedermayer, meaning as dominant offensively and defensively, he would’ve been my pick, but he isn’t.

Sanderson is this rare breed of offense and defence. He’s a slick skating, minute eating dman that can be utilized in every single situation. I love a guy that can put up points but I prefer I player that can be relied on, regardless of the situation.

It’s not a knock on Makar and one postseason doesn’t paint an entire career but just watching these playoffs, I’d rather have Heiskanen over Makar.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Sanderson is the proper pick in this situation. Yes, Drysdale is flashy and he’s electric but Sanderson is the complete package. If Drysdale was in the mold of a Niedermayer, meaning as dominant offensively and defensively, he would’ve been my pick, but he isn’t.

Sanderson is this rare breed of offense and defence. He’s a slick skating, minute eating dman that can be utilized in every single situation. I love a guy that can put up points but I prefer I player that can be relied on, regardless of the situation.

It’s not a knock on Makar and one postseason doesn’t paint an entire career but just watching these playoffs, I’d rather have Heiskanen over Makar.

Heiskanen over Makar and over Q Hughes too. Sanderson over Drysdale too. It's both smart and simple at the same time. Karlsson and burns didn't win anything. Hedman is one step away from the Cup, Doughty has two. In general, it is surprising that Devils fans, raised in a culture of good defense and zone play, choose Drysdale.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Heiskanen over Makar and over Q Hughes too. Sanderson over Drysdale too. It's both smart and simple at the same time. Karlsson and burns didn't win anything. Hedman is one step away from the Cup, Doughty has two. In general, it is surprising that Devils fans, raised in a culture of good defense and zone play, choose Drysdale.

While I'd take Sanderson over Drysdale and generally agree with taking Heiskanen type easily over Makar, your comparison lacks context. Karlsson spent most of his career in Ottawa, Burns half of career in Minnesota and other half in San Jose (they went to finals and were generally a very strong team during his tenure). Meanwhile, Doughty played in elite team and Hedman so far went to 1 SCF in his career, which he lost. Both are elite pieces but Hedman also has elite teammates and Doughty used to when he won the cups. Context is important.

Reactions: TZdevils

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
While I'd take Sanderson over Drysdale and generally agree with taking Heiskanen type easily over Makar, your comparison lacks context. Karlsson spent most of his career in Ottawa, Burns half of career in Minnesota and other half in San Jose (they went to finals and were generally a very strong team during his tenure). Meanwhile, Doughty played in elite team and Hedman so far went to 1 SCF in his career, which he lost. Both are elite pieces but Hedman also has elite teammates and Doughty used to when he won the cups. Context is important.

When talking about context, you should not substitute cause and effect. Good defenders kept the score, bad ones were on the ice when they lost in important moments of matches. Hedman has already played in the conference finals five times, a step away from a second final. There are defenders who help you score points, there are defenders who help you win. This is obvious. And if I were a coach, I would want to see Doughty and Pietro in overtime defense, not Burns and Karlsson.
It is very likely that this is only a difference in interpretation of the facts.
Sanderson and Drysdale havn`t any insurance for not becoming Reilly and Hanifin. But this is the essence of the draft.

Last edited:

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I accidentally picked Drysdale in the poll as I glanced over Sanderson and thought he wasn't there, without looking at the OP. :eek:

Sanderson for me pretty easily. Drysdale is dynamic but Sanderson is a friggin' rock. We need that rock.

Reactions: Taylors lost step

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I accidentally picked Drysdale in the poll as I glanced over Sanderson and thought he wasn't there, without looking at the OP. :eek:

Sanderson for me pretty easily. Drysdale is dynamic but Sanderson is a friggin' rock. We need that rock.

While that's currently accurate it's hard to say what the defense will look like in three years when this year's draftees are starting to make an impact. I expect that Butcher, PK, and everyone except Severson currently on the defense will have moved on. I don't count Smith since he hasn't made the team yet. You have a pipeline also including Bahl and the slew of defenders drafted last year. It's hard to project what the blueline might need by then.

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
I still say Drysdale. Potentially game breaking offensive talent on the blue line with hughes/nico/etc up front would be great. I doubt we would have to pick between the two since I doubt either will be there but I’d grab Drysdale and not lose much sleep over it.

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
While that's currently accurate it's hard to say what the defense will look like in three years when this year's draftees are starting to make an impact. I expect that Butcher, PK, and everyone except Severson currently on the defense will have moved on. I don't count Smith since he hasn't made the team yet. You have a pipeline also including Bahl and the slew of defenders drafted last year. It's hard to project what the blueline might need by then.
For sure. Still, I value #1 LHD higher than any other position in hockey so that slants things for me. As it stands, right now, we don't have that nor do we have a true #1 RHD either. Thus, Sanderson gets the edge for me over Drysdale. I'd rather run into the problem of having TOO MANY good defensemen than not having enough haha.

Reactions: My3Sons

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

You can change your vote, there's a button at the bottom of the poll.

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
Seeing the emerge of young defenseman as of late has me thinking that 1 if not both of Drysdale and Sanderson will be gone when Devils pick, but if this would happen it'd be dream scenario for NJ. Just pick the one you prefer, wont go wrong.

Reactions: Guadana

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Seeing the emerge of young defenseman as of late has me thinking that 1 if not both of Drysdale and Sanderson will be gone when Devils pick, but if this would happen it'd be dream scenario for NJ. Just pick the one you prefer, wont go wrong.

the way my sick mind works, I hope one of the D is taken and one is available at #7...that way its a no brainer

if we have the choice between the 2, you KNOW our fanbase will be following the guy we don't pick's every single move and saying we took the wrong one

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
the way my sick mind works, I hope one of the D is taken and one is available at #7...that way its a no brainer

if we have the choice between the 2, you KNOW our fanbase will be following the guy we don't pick's every single move and saying we took the wrong one
Because people inherently don't want to be happy. From all the years I've followed sports, this is the conclusion that I've come to. Nothing is ever good enough because people WANT to piss and moan.

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
BTW, did anyone see Pronman's article that in 2021 he feels that there are five defensemen that are equal to or better than Drysdale and Byram?
Yes, and I've also seen him attempt to crap on MacBlack twice lately. Once in his Q&A where he says "I don't think Blackwood is good enough to not have the Askarov conversation." The other, which is a little less of a crap on, in his draft needs for every team where he says...

The Devils have made 28 picks in the past three years, so there isn’t much of a depth issue right now. They have a ton of young forwards, and not as many but a decent chunk of young defenders. The position they are less clear on is goaltender. I like Mackenzie Blackwood on the big club, but he’s not so good that you are confidently projecting him as a top goalie in the league. Looking at their depth chart, this seems like the one position that could use more talent.

Reactions: Blackjack
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad