• Koehn Ziemmer,RW, Prince George Cougars

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Well, I would have had a vote in for But if that pick had stayed with the Jackets, but, oh well, I guess he can go to my other team. :D

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I was hoping we'd land a defenseman with this pick but seeing that the top-5 D have already gone, I'm reverting back to forwards. Bonk, Strbak, Brustewicz, Lindstein, Morin etc. are all enticing D prospects but we can get similar guys with our 2nd round picks. The forwards here still on the board are just too good to pass up.

--

As for this pick, I'm torn between Stenberg, Edström and Musty.

Stenberg's a smaller winger but I feel like has the highest IQ of the three. He's had some tough injury luck in the past but has worked through them. Was great at the U18's.

Edström's a true center that was also great at the U18's, is a puck-hound and can score some goals. Highest ceiling of the three. I see a bit of Joel Eriksson-Ek in him.

Musty had the highest PPG of all the DY forwards in the OHL, is a big-bodied and a nasty winger. Something we could really use in our pool.

I know a lot of people are enticed by Heidt but I just feel like he's too much of a perimeter player to be successful in the NHL. I also didn't like how he played at the U18's at all and frankly thought he was a passenger, not a driver.

Ultimately went with Musty. I feel like what we already have in Svechkov is what we would get in Edström. Tough call still.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Tough spot. Lot of names you'd be happy with. I went with Stenberg. He's got a nice combo of upside while maintaining a relatively high floor because of his skating ability and shot.

Reactions: Scoresberg

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Man so many good choices. With us already getting woods, I’d look to possibly getting a center prospect but But would look nice on this team as well but I went with Stenberg I think he has some nice upside

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I see Gulyayev is still listed as an option, but Philly took him #22.

For me, it's still down to Honzek or Stenberg.

Heidt has been ranked high from a long way out, like years ago he was hyped, and he had good numbers too. Maybe like Sale he secretly still has that big upside, but the last look people had of him wasn't a very good one. I guess I wouldn't blame a scout who was taking a longer view. But's size is interesting, But... I'm probably not going to Russia for a project, when there are plenty of other good projects I like just as much who aren't in Russia.

I'd still make my best effort with their teams next year to get Honzek or Stenberg playing center. It reads to me like Vancouver just already had centers for their top-2 lines and you can't just step into the SEL at 17 and get minutes at C right away either of course. So I don't take it off the table as an option that still exists for both of them, with the right development.

I'll put Honzek down for now, but I'm open to switching if somebody writes something here that makes me think twice. (This helps to illustrate just how much I know about any of these guys! :D )

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think it might be a nice balance to our future forward situation if we had:
a) the smaller offensive guys (Evangelista, Tomasino, Kemell)
b) the grit factor to dig in the tougher areas (Schaeffer, L'Heureux)
c) a couple bigger bodies with skill to round things out (Wood and Honzek in this draft)!

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Sign me up for consolidating our picks
Seeing how the various mocks are trending, I am more opposed than ever to that idea. I was always opposed. But now I really feel like the draft is shaping up such that we'll get two pretty solid guys at #46/47, quite possibly 2 good defensemen, and I think there is waaaaaay more value in getting 2 of those guys rather than 1 of whoever else is left on the board right now.

We'll probably get at least 1 guy with those picks who we had ranked in the 1st round on our list anyway. So why trade up and just get ~the same guy?

Later on, when it comes to #68, 79, 83.. well to be honest my focus hasn't reached that deep yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if a fairly similar argument would hold. At #68, we'll get somebody we had ranked in the 40s. So why trade it up and waste another pick? Etc, etc.

Past those first 7 picks, if they want to bump a couple later picks off to next year just to spread things out, I don't see too much problem with that.

Reactions: Soundgarden

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Seeing how the various mocks are trending, I am more opposed than ever to that idea. I was always opposed. But now I really feel like the draft is shaping up such that we'll get two pretty solid guys at #46/47, quite possibly 2 good defensemen, and I think there is waaaaaay more value in getting 2 of those guys rather than 1 of whoever else is left on the board right now.

We'll probably get at least 1 guy with those picks who we had ranked in the 1st round on our list anyway. So why trade up and just get ~the same guy?

Later on, when it comes to #68, 79, 83.. well to be honest my focus hasn't reached that deep yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if a fairly similar argument would hold. At #68, we'll get somebody we had ranked in the 40s. So why trade it up and waste another pick? Etc, etc.

Past those first 7 picks, if they want to bump a couple later picks off to next year just to spread things out, I don't see too much problem with that.
If their board dictates we are still getting a good player in the 2nd I have no issues picking. I just agree with the idea of moving up if maybe one of those same players they liked at their pick in the 1st begins falling. Coming out of this draft with 3 1st round picks sounds pretty damn enticing.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If their board dictates we are still getting a good player in the 2nd I have no issues picking. I just agree with the idea of moving up if maybe one of those same players they liked at their pick in the 1st begins falling. Coming out of this draft with 3 1st round picks sounds pretty damn enticing.
I assume already we're going to get 3 guys we have ranked as 1st round picks. Possibly 4, but anyway, the 4th won't be far off if so. Therefore, where they actually get picked by other teams isn't super relevant.

But sure, I guess if there is somebody rated much much higher... like in our top 15.... who is still there after our #24 pick (implying we already got 2 guys ranked in our top 15 with our previous picks! :oops:)... well then having 3 of our top 15 would be worth moving up for. But that's about the only way I'd do it.

I expect we'll end up getting something like #10, #17, #26, #35 on our list if we just keep the top 4 picks we have. That's worth just holding onto them IMO.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I assume already we're going to get 3 guys we have ranked as 1st round picks. Possibly 4, but anyway, the 4th won't be far off if so. Therefore, where they actually get picked by other teams isn't super relevant.

But sure, I guess if there is somebody rated much much higher... like in our top 15.... who is still there after our #24 pick (implying we already got 2 guys ranked in our top 15 with our previous picks! :oops:)... well then having 3 of our top 15 would be worth moving up for. But that's about the only way I'd do it.

I expect we'll end up getting something like #10, #17, #26, #35 on our list if we just keep the top 4 picks we have. That's worth just holding onto them IMO.

It's plausible we end up with a guy ranked in our top 10 and 2 in our top 15-18 range. Maybe not likely, but fun to think about. No matter what, we will have a big wave of talent pouring into our prospect depth in a few weeks.

spfan

May 4, 2009
I was hoping we'd land a defenseman with this pick but seeing that the top-5 D have already gone, I'm reverting back to forwards. Bonk, Strbak, Brustewicz, Lindstein, Morin etc. are all enticing D prospects but we can get similar guys with our 2nd round picks. The forwards here still on the board are just too good to pass up.

--

As for this pick, I'm torn between Stenberg, Edström and Musty.

Stenberg's a smaller winger but I feel like has the highest IQ of the three. He's had some tough injury luck in the past but has worked through them. Was great at the U18's.

Edström's a true center that was also great at the U18's, is a puck-hound and can score some goals. Highest ceiling of the three. I see a bit of Joel Eriksson-Ek in him.

Musty had the highest PPG of all the DY forwards in the OHL, is a big-bodied and a nasty winger. Something we could really use in our pool.

I know a lot of people are enticed by Heidt but I just feel like he's too much of a perimeter player to be successful in the NHL. I also didn't like how he played at the U18's at all and frankly thought he was a passenger, not a driver.

Ultimately went with Musty. I feel like what we already have in Svechkov is what we would get in Edström. Tough call still.
I would say Musty has the highest ceiling of those 3. But also boom or bust.

Yeah, Svechkov is basically exactly what Edstrom is. Ranked lower, than had a good U-18's and his draft stock went up.

spfan

May 4, 2009
I'd go for Heidt or Gulyayev. They went forward at 15, so maybe should go D here. Gulyayev is risky, but has among the highest upside for d-men in the whole draft class.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad