Rumor: TDL "almost" trades

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Do you have any info to highlight this? Not calling you out, I saw Seravelli saying it was likely the Kings and as an Avs fan would love to know the Avs had another big play lined up.
I trust Hoven X mayornhl. He has been pretty reliable on trade talk over the years with LA and nearby teams( ana, SJ, vegas). He had some stuff on Eichel/Vegas talk.

Reactions: Perratrooper

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
I'm surprised Colorado didn't pick up Raanta, no asset loss and he's been better lately. Plus if he stinks just waive him again, no big deal.
Yeah… there were a couple moves they could have made without opening the vault to pay like a Markstrom deal would have required, Raanta being the easiest and cheapest… I fully expected them to pick something up

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Habs prefer to drag this rebuild out for a decade.

Weak take IMO. It's not like trading him would've got us out of the rebuild instantly. I think we still have one more year of deliberate tanking before trying to be competitive again.

You need veteran presence for kids to develop in a rebuild and Savard is a damn good one. Habs value his presence more than a 2nd/late 1st. Guy wants to be here, he wants his kids to grow up in french like he did.

On top of that we can still sell him as a rental at next year's deadline.

And lastly, why would we do any favor to one of our biggest rival when we're absolutely not desperate not to. If you absolutely needed him you had to overpay. As a Habs fan, I like that he chose to do that.

Snap

Mar 7, 2024
Seemed like more things than usual were reported to be either happening, or in the works that never happened this deadline
When most of the significant action happens days/weeks before deadline, the insiders have to drum up something for the deadline day shows. Speculation and rumors are low hanging fruit

Reactions: hn777

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
The Kings sources say they weren’t the team in on Ullmark. Sounds more like Colorado.
Wouldn't surprise me at all if it was. For talking heads to say they're "100% getting a goalie", something must have been really close.
There was also talk of several teams trying to get a goalie-three-way done. Two of those goalies could have been Ullmark and Georgiev.
There have also been rumours that the goalie-trade that didn't happen was Kähkönen-Annunen, for the back-up role.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
That is simply not true. They paid quite a pretty penny for Kempuer. They just have certain ones they like

He only had a layover in Vancouver on his way to play with his best mate Mack :)
Kuemper cost them just $2.75mm AAV. They don’t pay goalies.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
We always get this thread after the deadline. 99% of the "almost" trade reports come from media guys who had reported on the rumor and they decided that it fell a part at the last minute for reason X. A few years on deadline day a couple former GMs were on one panel and the topic of near misses on deadline came up. One GM said straight unless you hear it from the GM himself, do not believe what anyone says; they have inches(newspapers) to fill or time to kill. Neil Smith after he left being GM of the Rangers said he always found it funny when he would read the paper a few days later saying that the Rags had a deal for player X but it fell a part at the time last minute. He said the player in question, he called the team asking if player X was available and was told no.

One reason people like buying books written by former GMS is to see what trades the talk about that never happened.

Reactions: Laus723 and rumrokh

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Kuemper cost them just $2.75mm AAV. They don’t pay goalies.
I think they would if they found one they liked, I wouldn’t have paid those goalies either. I misunderstood. I was referring to cost to aquire.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm betting the newly renovated outhouse that the Leafs inquired about Savard and Hughes wanted a first or equivilant. Leafs obviously balked at that price.

Besides, this draft is pretty weak past the first 10-15 players so it's not like 2nd was an option.

This were want can't beat "take it or leave it". I'm good with it.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
How is that possible?

WIth Hertl's contact now on their payroll, how could Vegas have possibly afforded any kind of extension for Hanifin?

The Canadiens were in the 2021 Stanley Cup Final.
Actually, they can. Quite easily, too. A 7mill x 8 year contract is no problem for them, even with Hertls contract, because they're losing a couple of 5 mill contracts this summer and they got several cheap players (ELC/2nd contracts) that can contribute.
Even if the cap again only increases by 1 mill they could squeeze it in.

Reactions: hn777

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I think they would if they found one they liked, I wouldn’t have paid those goalies either. I misunderstood. I was referring to cost to aquire.
And I was on AAV. Avs won’t pay a G above $4mm. They don’t value it.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
The Canucks were the runner ups on Toffoli, but didn't want to offer 2 2nds as we would be left without a 2nd round pick until 2027.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
He was always staying to Seattle, was just an unsubstantiated rumour he was getting traded
IT was media playing with oiler fans. He was always going to stay. They just needed to work some details. HE wanted to stay and they wanted him to stay. They just needed to agree on the number and the seattle media is saying they split the difference on the cash. HE was never in play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad