TDL '24: The Good, The Meh and The Ugly

Are you satisfied with the way it all shook out?

• Total voters

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
the options for the poll are quite biased........

I am not sure what the premium would have been for buchnevich given the prices for some of these other players like Hertl/Guentzel so I think I would have traded for buchnevich given the market value. So I can't really choose option 2 since it is clearly saying we would have overpaid when that probably isn't the case. I guess option 3

I am not sure what the premium would have been for buchnevich given the prices for some of these other players like Hertl/Guentzel so I think I would have traded for buchnevich given the market value. So I can't really choose option 2 since it is clearly saying we would have overpaid when that probably isn't the case. I guess option 3
Yup, but couldnt come up with a better wording. Maybe "Were you willing to part with 1st round picks?" But that's not much better, cuz 1st for who exactly?

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Standing Patrick was a correct move, this team has depth and seems like that they have realgud team spirit. Go with this and see how far it takes us, and improve the weak spots in the summer.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I would've liked something, but not trading any top end picks or prospects unless for a future long term piece. Rentals absolutely not!

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007

My understanding is that STL demands for their players were unreasonable. I really wanted to swing for a Buch+Parayko package as it would've solidified our roster and made us a solid playoff team until our non-NHL prospects came in, but the cost was (reportedly) pretty ridiculous. Like the equivalent of two firsts+ for Buch and who knows what for Parayko. I wouldn't be surprised if most of Yzerman's deadline was spent waiting on Armstrong to blink because a Bunch/Parayko trade would've been almost a carbon copy of the McDonagh/JT Miller trade he made in 2018. Yzerman makes some complicated trades when he thinks it's time.

I would've been happy trading our first this year and even next for long-term talent but Yzerman is dead set on filling the roster with his picks. We'll see how it plays out. I just hope Ed/Kasper/ASP/Danielson all work out or we are looking at an endless rebuild.

Last edited:
Reactions: Detroit Knights

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
I think it was the right choice. This is not a team that is one or two rental players away from going deep in the playoffs and the risk of paying assets for players and miss the playoffs is too great. The win case was minimal unless we were able to get a younger player under contract.

Reactions: Twinger

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I think we can all agree that, regardless of our opinions, at least our GM didn't trade Jake Guentzel for the equivalent of the detritus at the bottom of a wastepaper basket.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The deadline itself was obviously underwhelming. But my expectations can absolutely still be met:
* Make the playoffs this year.
* Make at least one hockey trade this summer.
* Win at least one playoff round next year.

Standing pat now just ups the stakes this summer to make sure the roster can take another step.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Hanifin was the only move I REALLY wanted to make. But outside of that I’m good with standing pat

Reactions: Bench

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
Would've liked to seen something. I can understand not wanting to move a 1st/2nd, but when I see something like Roslovic @ 50% or Colin Miller for a 4th, it feels like Yzerman didn't even do his due diligence.

Last edited:

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Standing Patrick was the right way IMO. I mean, unless some sucker was looking to BOLSTER their defense with one Petry, Holl, or Maatta, we aren't really in a position to start making splashes. We're gonna ride it out and see if we make the playoffs. If not, we'll be even better prepared for a legit push next year.

This also considers how we're waiting on many of our top prospects to come through anyway. Excellent teams are built through the draft. I think the fact we've been sitting in a wild card spot for so long up to this point is gravy. Nobody would have predicted a lot of the good that's happened this year for the Wings.

Teams that try to go nuts at the deadline to pick up top 6 players seemingly "mess up" their chemistry (where it's more important to have in your top 6 for scoring purposes) and don't seem to have cup winning success (correct me if I'm wrong there).

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
My guess nobody wants Holl even for free. Kinda sad , he is like between AHL and NHL with big bucks , but only for 2 more years.
Most important Yzerman believe in this team

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Honestly the NHL has shifted so drastically that teams should always be buying at this point. Prices are cheap and nobody wants to even try to win anymore.

Teams are forever worried about the future.
It sets the table for a lot of teams trying to dump players to improve their future. But nobody wants to buy them, because they are horrified to trade any future assets.

Yzerman even acknowledged this in his press conference. Said the NHL has basically turned into the CHL (Canadian Junior hockey) with 3 or 4 teams buying up all the players and loading up.

In past years teams actually cared about making the playoffs. Not anymore. It’s championship or bust. Heck a lot of bubble teams were active sellers.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Best thing we could’ve heard today is the organization’s confidence in the players down in Grand Rapids

Looking across the organization, we have talent everywhere

If Edvinsson and Berggren get playing time in Detroit down the stretch and in to the (hopefully) playoffs, it’s a huge win

There’s no rush to move out veteran players for cheap picks with the incoming expanded roster. A lot of that can be taken care of in the off-season

But we need to see Edvinsson on this roster for me to be happy about it in the short term

Reactions: Ricelund

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Think I would have paid.

We are going up. To success.

I like to pay.

On the Final day, winners will pay.

But, I also like this

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I think it was the right move. Rentals rarely work out. We weren't one or two away from being a contender. Sure we could've added a middling forward or dman for cheap, but we already have those in spades. I'd rather Berg/Edvinsson get a chance down the stretch and hopefully stick.

Reactions: raymond23

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad