Injury Report: TDA

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
idk man we had guys like that in Smith, Cole, Edmundson, pretty much all of them to me were ultimately liabilities in the playoffs. I think when it comes to those bottom pair D where they have sizeable weaknesses, it's really on coaching to mitigate the effects of those weaknesses. Whether it's the 3 I mentioned or Coghlan or whoever else. I really wanted McCabe last year but I didn't see any options this year that stood out as being great choices to try to shore up the D. Certainly none better than TDA as the 7 and having 2 D get hurt just was never very likely or something we needed a better contingency plan for than Coghlan/Morrow.
Well fans might feel those guys were liabilities but do you think Rod does? I don’t think he sees them that way. I agree in the surface there werent many good options out there but this is one position where there’s usually people available that we aren’t thinking of. I think our remaining choices will have to be sheltered maybe even more than Tony is which puts more miles on the others, which could lead to them getting hurt. A Smith would hardly go amiss right now.

It’s too late now so no point hand wringing about it. It was just a random thought.

Reactions: DaveG

ElmCityGuy

Apr 20, 2023
Just curious.. could you use a forward to play a defenceman spot say 5-8 minutes to give a rest to the remaining 5 or is that silly and better off with Morrow even though he is a rookie.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

ElmCityGuy

Apr 20, 2023
Who you trusting for that, Pepe?
Well first thought would be Staal because I think he would be the least likely to make a huge mistake. I realize he is slow but plays smart for the most part. Basically just looking someone to ugly up the game for 5-8 minutes to steal some rest for the others. Of course Aho would be good but need him attacking every shift.

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

UNCCHcane

Nov 26, 2008
And can he play defense?
Just in case I'm missing the sarcasm:

If Johnsson doesn't play, Hitchcock said he'll move Sami Kapanen
from forward to play defense. Kapanen played defense twice during
the regular season, and welcomes the switch.

"It's a totally different game," Kapanen said. "In order to
play defense in the playoffs, you have to go out and compete and
make those simple plays, stay out of the trouble."

Hitchcock said Kapanen has bugged the coaches about playing
defense since getting a taste of it earlier in the season.

"Sami loves it back there," Hitchcock said. "He feels he
creates more on the rush. He feels he's more of an impact on the
offense from back there."

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I disagree about 6d across the league being Coglan. You could have slower, less effective offensively guys who play solid defense that are more valuable in this situation. I agree we don’t know that some time off won’t bring back one of the regulars.

Morrow is a worse choice imo, this isn’t where you want the kid to have to learn how to play defense.
Agreed. I was going to bring up Brendan Smith as an example. He's a vanilla #6, not a guy you want to sign in the offseason. Debatably a liability on the ice. But he's also a playoff warrior. He's physical. He doesn't give you any offense, but he's good positionally and can make smart plays in the D zone, especially if paired with a puck mover.

Even Luke Hughes, who was a #4 overall pick and a college phenom, had trouble transitioning. He had 2 games before playoffs where he faced the Canes in the 2nd round. He had some offensive mojo, but was a huge liability. He's part of the reason we torched them defensively and bounced them in 5 games. Morrow, by all likelihood, will be a bigger liability than that.

There's also the factor that Morrow doesn't know our system well, and TDA does. I might dress Coughlan simply for the fact that he knows the system better than Scott Morrow.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I wouldn't mind giving Morrow a game on home ice where Rod can shelter him and play the other 5 more heavily. But certainly not on the road when the Rangers have last change and can take advantage of putting Morrow out there.

That said, Coghlan has never struck me as the "stable, low event" player either.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Agreed. I was going to bring up Brendan Smith as an example. He's a vanilla #6, not a guy you want to sign in the offseason. Debatably a liability on the ice. But he's also a playoff warrior. He's physical. He doesn't give you any offense, but he's good positionally and can make smart plays in the D zone, especially if paired with a puck mover.

Even Luke Hughes, who was a #4 overall pick and a college phenom, had trouble transitioning. He had 2 games before playoffs where he faced the Canes in the 2nd round. He had some offensive mojo, but was a huge liability. He's part of the reason we torched them defensively and bounced them in 5 games. Morrow, by all likelihood, will be a bigger liability than that.

There's also the factor that Morrow doesn't know our system well, and TDA does. I might dress Coughlan simply for the fact that he knows the system better than Scott Morrow.
It would be a dream come true for Morrow to be where Hughes was at last playoff.

Reactions: MinJaBen

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Very hard to shelter (hide) Coghlan at MSG.

Due to Hakanpaa's injury, Stars are playing Heiskanen 28 minutes a night to hide Nils Lundkvist, who's only playing 5 minutes a night. I'm not saying that's an advisable thing to do, but Brind'Amour certainly could do something similar with Slavin if push came to shove, because he has incredibly played under 21 minutes per game this regular season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad