Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Victor Hedman re-signs with Lightning (8 years, $7.875M AAV)

member 157595

Awesome deal for an awesome player.

Yzerman's one of the best in the business...and so is Hedman.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Now THIS signing I love! Great job by Yzerman. Still won't breathe easy until Kucherov is resigned though (and then there's next summer which won't be fun for us.) But Yzerman did well on this one.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
its pretty much unanimous, everyone thinks this is a fantastic deal for tampa !

:handclap:

I was going to say this. I don't know that I have ever seen such a unanimously positive response to a deal on here haha.

Atta boy, YzerGOAT!

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
Also, I think it is misleading to use salary rankings to judge a contract.

#2 highest paid defenseman is a little bit different when you take into account inflation.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I think Yzerman has been using the lack of state taxes to his massive advantage. Combine that with a winning team and guys are taking less.

I see 2 cups for Tampa in the next 8 years.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
what a steal, wow. thought he'd get 9M+ for sure, he's the best all around dman in the league already..

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Wow great deal for Tampa congrats on signing he is one of the best and obviously likes it there. He could of got way more next season Tampa has a nice thing going here.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Great deal, but I don't see why people are so surprised. If I was a pro athlete, and I was looking for a place to be long term and raise a family, Tampa is a great location. Low taxes, better standard of living, and great weather. To me 8 mil in Tampa is like 10 mil in Chicago.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Great deal, but I don't see why people are so surprised. If I was a pro athlete, and I was looking for a place to be long term and raise a family, Tampa is a great location. Low taxes, better standard of living, and great weather. To me 8 mil in Tampa is like 10 mil in Chicago.

Absolutely, but 8m will always be 8m towards the cap, no matter how you spin it locally.

So getting the deals done at a considerably lower AAV than you first believed it would be - it's a nice feeling!

member 157595

Agreed. From my POV, Tampa's one of the teams I'd like to play for if I were a professional athlete (which, since I'm wasting my time on this board right now, is not the case.) I'm not a Lightning fan or anything but there's a lot to love.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015

Oh, and beaches, single women testing out string bikinis, and despite what the NFL's Super Bowl committee thinks, people hate snow and ice and February but love golf and sailing.:D

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Yzerman did more for his club this offseason than any GM in the league. And he didn't even have to dwell into free agency. Drouin removes his trade request, Stamkos rejects insane money to stay in Tampa on the friendliest cap hit a player like him can be signed to, he extends Hedman on another bargain for a player like him who easily could have commanded about 10M as a UFA, he extends Vasilevsky on an amazing 3-year 3.5M deal (awesome deal for what seems like your soon to be #1 goalie).

Very impressive work.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
Good team
No income tax
Nice location and weather

Helped make it easier to sign him for cheaper.

I have to wonder if Yzerman brought in a sports tax accountant into the room to help with the pitch. Other teams (except the Panthers, Predators, and Stars) would have had to offer at least $9.5M or so to provide the same take-home pay that Hedman will get on this next deal once it takes effect in 2017-18. I would hope that Jim Nill does the same thing with Jamie Benn.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I have to wonder if Yzerman brought in a sports tax accountant into the room to help with the pitch. Other teams (except the Panthers, Predators, and Stars) would have had to offer at least $9.5M or so to provide the same take-home pay that Hedman will get on this next deal once it takes effect in 2017-18. I would hope that Jim Nill does the same thing with Jamie Benn.

Do u actually think the players agent wouldn't already know and explain to there clients what the tax implications are in the different markets?

luthar

Nov 29, 2011
Mtl

Honestly, this is great for low tax market but it does create an imbalance between teams, especially in a cap world.

IMO, all players should be required to have the same tax location so everything is equal but I don't think it's possible from a legal perspective.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
He could have gotten 2 million/y more.
Great for TB, bad for the rest of the league.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Great value, makes life much easier for Yzerman when guys are signing for 1-2M less then they could get elsewhere

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad