Contract Termination: [TBL] F Josh Archibald on waivers for the purpose of contract termination

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Lightning just gave him a two year deal on July 1st . Wonder what happened there.

Edit : So Archibald was not planning on playing hockey for the forseeable future according to the Lightning statement ? Hope nothing too serious happened there in the last couple of months / weeks.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Lightning just gave him a two year deal on July 1st . Wonder what happened there.
Yeah, it is weird, but it sounds like Archibald has some personal things to attend to. The article said:

“Yesterday, I was informed by Josh’s agent, and by Josh himself in a subsequent conversation, that he was not planning on playing hockey for the time being and that he would not be reporting to training camp. Consequently, Josh was placed on unconditional waivers earlier today for the purpose of terminating his contract.

“We wish Josh, his wife Bailey, and their entire family the very best in their future endeavors.”

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Yeah, it is weird, but it sounds like Archibald has some personal things to attend to. The article said:

“Yesterday, I was informed by Josh’s agent, and by Josh himself in a subsequent conversation, that he was not planning on playing hockey for the time being and that he would not be reporting to training camp. Consequently, Josh was placed on unconditional waivers earlier today for the purpose of terminating his contract.

“We wish Josh, his wife Bailey, and their entire family the very best in their future endeavors.”

So how does this work with his salary ? Does he still get the money ? I know he won't count against the cap but does he get any of the money ?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

Wow hope he and his family are ok..

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Bold move by Josh Archibald to mutually terminate a two year NHL deal with a modified 15 team no trade clause.

He is the last of the Archibald’s in the NHL.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Hopefully he invested that money bc his hockey career is over. Unless he plans on working retail or something to take care of bills

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
31 in October so missing a year at this point in time probably unlikely to return.

$6.8 before escrow which in recent years has been high to repay the owners. So take home after escrow is more than likely to be under $6 mill. Gives him a good start on the next chapter of his life if he took care of the money he made.
Again, 6 mil is more than 99.9% of the world will see in lifetime earnings including inherited property and assets. That is enough money to do anything you want in life except become an oligarch.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Hopefully he invested that money bc his hockey career is over. Unless he plans on working retail or something to take care of bills
The NHL isn't the only pro league in the world. But if he takes a year off and tries to come back, he'll probably have to settle for a second rate European pro league or try to grab a veteran spot on a AHL team.

Reactions: General Disarray

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad