Speculation: Taylor Hall

Where does Hall end up?

• Total voters

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
More in the vein that he may not get the AAV that he would want considering that this may be (most likely is) his last go around with Free Agency.

A one year deal, on Colorado, would allow him the ability to rebound statistically and cash in a year from now, which very well could still be with Colorado.

I expect that Hall would be looking for 9-10 AAV. I don't see too many teams lining up for that this off-season

Hall doesn't need to rebound statistically for a big contract. While not the PPG of the previous two seasons, Hall was still the top producer on both NJ and AZ by a good margin and the best player on the ice for those teams most nights. Someone will pay him big on a long term deal.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Clearly you have not watched the bruins. Because us bruins fan know secondary scoring is what this teams need. Hall is the perfect answer they also have money to sign a D man and and can get creative with trades.

Secondary scoring at the cost of team D which was the team strength. I watch the Bruins more than you think

Horton Hears A Woo

Sep 20, 2011
Connecticut
Secondary scoring at the cost of team D which was the team strength. I watch the Bruins more than you think
Team strength on d? That same d group that got wiped out by Tampa? Also if you do watch the bruins how can you sit here and say secondary scoring isn’t our biggest concern? How many more years for you to fix that? The bruins can add hall and a good d man so they need to make it happen

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Team strength on d? That same d group that got wiped out by Tampa? Also if you do watch the bruins how can you sit here and say secondary scoring isn’t our biggest concern? How many more years for you to fix that? The bruins can add hall and a good d man so they need to make it happen

More about the last 5+ years. Bruins win games cause they are one of the best teams defensively and they have that good PP and top line. Secondary scoring is a need yes but loosing Chara and Krug thinking your D is stable and Krug won't be missed on the PP? We will see about that. Bieksa talked about the Bruins D playing bigger when Chara is in the mix. I had that same opinion before Bieksa said that. I guess we are both idiots eh?

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I'm betting it's $8-9m for 5-7 years. Hall would ideally want 7 years, but I think if a team he would love to play for will only offer 5 or 6, he'd probably take it. I think it would be foolish to go less than 5 years, as his bargaining power for another big contract when he's 31-33 would probably be far worse than it is now. Don't see this being as much about money as people think. Hall has to know he isn't getting $10m aav given the state of the salary cap. He'll look at teams with a good contending window (next few years AND promising future beyond that) that can fit him in around $8m.

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Colorado seems like the logical landing spot. Solid young team, cap space, competitive for the long haul. My money is on Hall to the Avs
Long term they don’t have much cap space though. After this next year they have to re up landeskog and makar and then McKinnon will get a massive contract two seasons later. They have a lot of cap flexibility but only for this year really.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Perfect.. Bruins loose Chara and Krug and spend their cap space on a forward. What do you do with Rask now? Bruins team D might take a major hit which is one of the reason why they were contenders for a while now.

Bruins with the best Goals against per game over the last 7 years!

How much do you think Krug has to do with the Bruins goals against numbers lol.

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
More about the last 5+ years. Bruins win games cause they are one of the best teams defensively and they have that good PP and top line. Secondary scoring is a need yes but loosing Chara and Krug thinking your D is stable and Krug won't be missed on the PP? We will see about that. Bieksa talked about the Bruins D playing bigger when Chara is in the mix. I had that same opinion before Bieksa said that. I guess we are both idiots eh?

Cassidy has already said they will be very open to trying 5 forwards if Krug is gone. Bruins are the worst team for shorties with Krug, what do they have to lose?

Would be fun to defend this...

Marchand
Pasta Bergeron Hall
Krejci

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If I was Hall's agent I'd advise him to take a 2 year deal in the 7-8 million dollar range on a contender that needs a LW in its top 6. Then go for the big deal after that. That all changes if some team is offering 9 million+ for 7 years. Then I would advise him to take the deal no matter what team is offering that.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Long term they don’t have much cap space though. After this next year they have to re up landeskog and makar and then McKinnon will get a massive contract two seasons later. They have a lot of cap flexibility but only for this year really.
Next year is ok too. Landeskog and Makar will need raises, but they've got a lot coming off the books and the expansion draft. Erik Johnson's $6 mill expires at the same tie as MacKinnon's which should cover his raise,.

However, beyond 3 years for Hall could be a problem, and he would be smart to take a longer term deal if there's one available.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
If Boston picks up Hall then they don't keep Krug and their defense is looking really thin. Even if Chara comes back he's already doing 2nd/3rd pair minutes and his effectiveness will continue to rapidly decline. Combine that with the variable of Rask...and Boston's backend is not looking promising. Boston might be better suited to target a strong LHD replacement for Krug imo (Brodie, Dillon, Zadorov, Gustafsson, etc...whichever price is right).

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I just can't see Hall not cashing in here on a long term deal. I know some posters criticize his relative lack of team success but he has nothing to prove. He would elevate the offense of any team he joins.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Next year is ok too. Landeskog and Makar will need raises, but they've got a lot coming off the books and the expansion draft. Erik Johnson's $6 mill expires at the same tie as MacKinnon's which should cover his raise,.

However, beyond 3 years for Hall could be a problem, and he would be smart to take a longer term deal if there's one available.
Yeah I could see them making a 3 year deal work.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019

Don't see Hall signing for 3 years anywhere. He may consider a 1 year deal or will go for 7 years with BO protection.

And Colorado could fit it. Kadri and Johnson fall off within 3 years as does Donskoi and Compher and Cole is next offseason.

Colorado should make a real run at Hall...for the right price. If Hall prices himself out, oh well. Hall said he just cares about winning...so let's see if he's being honest about that. Colorado is probably the BEST place for any player who cares about winning. Offensively and defensively they're already elite and their farm system is flooded with futures. The only thing that Avs aren't elite in is goaltending (although one of Werner or Annunen should pan out).

MacKinnon said he'll take ANOTHER team friendly deal in a few years and, you know what, I believe him. I seem him going something like 8 x $8. How much does one really need? That would put his career earnings at $91 million...he should be okay XD XD XD

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Don't see Hall signing for 3 years anywhere.

And Colorado could fit it. Kadri and Johnson fall off within 3 years as does Donskoi and Compher and Cole is next offseason.
Byram and Newhook on ELCs at some point there too.

MacKinnon said he'll take ANOTHER team friendly deal in a few years and, you know what, I believe him. I seem him going something like 8 x $8. How much does one really need? That would put his career earnings at $91 million...he should be okay XD XD XD
I'd be ecstatic with $10, but his $6.3 plus EJ's $6 is enough to get him to 200K under McJesus if need be.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
If I was Hall's agent I'd advise him to take a 2 year deal in the 7-8 million dollar range on a contender that needs a LW in its top 6. Then go for the big deal after that. That all changes if some team is offering 9 million+ for 7 years. Then I would advise him to take the deal no matter what team is offering that.
In two years he'll be entering the season at 31. What team will give a big deal to a forward that old. You'd be nuts to go with anything beyond 5 years, and you'd be expecting the last two of those years to be at decreased play, so you wouldn't pay top dollar.

Hall should just go for the 7 year, $9/year now.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Byram and Newhook on ELCs at some point there too.

I'd be ecstatic with $10, but his $6.3 plus EJ's $6 is enough to get him to 200K under McJesus if need be.

MacKinnon wants to win and he seems like he's got a great mentality. How many Ferraris does one need? MacKinnon seems content with 1 so I think he'll ask for NO MORE than $10 million which is still a great deal. Hoping for $8-9 though

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
You would be the worst agent ever. Reason being you yourself as an agent would get less money and Hall would have to be damn sure he doesn't slow down in terms of points AND not get injured. It would most likely be in Hall's and every NHL players best interest to sign the longest contract possible with most likely a small hit on money. No NHL player is going to take these stupid 1 or 2 year deals when they can get 6-7 years while still getting a good amount of money. Job security is the number one thing most NHL players go for.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Assuming Hall only settles for a 7 year deal, what kind of AAV are we thinking he ends up with with the flat cap?
Really depends how the contract is structured. If its a front loaded contract where he gets most of his money in the first two years then the money/cap hit will most likely be lower to compensate hes getting most of his money right off the bat. If no front load then its going to be a higher cap hit per season.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Really depends how the contract is structured. If its a front loaded contract where he gets most of his money in the first two years then the money/cap hit will most likely be lower to compensate hes getting most of his money right off the bat. If no front load then its going to be a higher cap hit per season.
Would you mind giving me an example with numbers to help me understand this better?

Thanks.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
You would be the worst agent ever. Reason being you yourself as an agent would get less money and Hall would have to be damn sure he doesn't slow down in terms of points AND not get injured. It would most likely be in Hall's and every NHL players best interest to sign the longest contract possible with most likely a small hit on money. No NHL player is going to take these stupid 1 or 2 year deals when they can get 6-7 years while still getting a good amount of money. Job security is the number one thing most NHL players go for.

In normal times you’re right, that is why I said if the big deal is on the table, take it no matter what team it is. If players take the gamble on a short deal now while the cap is flat then they can set themselves up for a huge payday when the cap goes up. An elite player like Hall is still young enough to gamble on a short term deal and still get paid on a long term deal.

This is his chance to play on a winning team like Colorado, try for his Cup then sign a long term deal. There’s not many top teams that can pay Hall 9 million + long term right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad