Taylor Hall

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ape

Jan 28, 2011
Edmonton
Just wondering if any Devil fans have any regrets on the trade. Being from Edmonton I know all there is to know about his game. Contract wise Oilers win the trade, but at 6 million Halls contract is also quite good. So let's leave money out of it. Looking for a honest evaluation on Hall , now that he has played a better part of the season with you.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
One of best passing wingers in the league not named Patrick Kane. Problem is that his game is too advanced for his limited teammates.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
The Devils got one of the most talented offensive players in the league for a one dimensional player. I don't think anyone regrets the trade, no

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Man should have 40 assists if his teammates could finish off his amazing setups.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
GREAT TRADE. It was a temporary setback in the purest way, trading the best defenseman on an already below-average defense resulted in us having expansion level defense, but I don't think there's a single person here who is dissatisfied with Hall as a player.

Guy is clearly a few levels above everyone else on the team and would have astronomical numbers if he was playing with equal line mates.

big ape

Jan 28, 2011
Edmonton
The Devils got one of the most talented offensive players in the league for a one dimensional player. I don't think anyone regrets the trade, no

Taylor was considered a very 1 dimensional player here. Although in his last year here , he started to play better defence. One of the things he was criticized for was holding on to the puck to long and turning It over , usually giving it up in very dangerous areas.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Taylor was considered a very 1 dimensional player here. Although in his last year here , he started to play better defence. One of the things he was criticized for was holding on to the puck to long and turning It over , usually giving it up in very dangerous areas.

He's done that on occasion because he will try to push the envelope.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Hall > Larsson, all day.

Oilers fans are in continual PR mode about Larsson, and he's a good player, but Hall is far more of a team centerpiece. Unfortunately, some of our forwards have underperformed and we've got a trash heap defense corps, along with a somewhat down year in goal by Schneider.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
GREAT TRADE. It was a temporary setback in the purest way, trading the best defenseman on an already below-average defense resulted in us having expansion level defense, but I don't think there's a single person here who is dissatisfied with Hall as a player.

Guy is clearly a few levels above everyone else on the team and would have astronomical numbers if he was playing with equal line mates.

Don't know why I found that funny, but it's really true.

Will Las Vegas have a better defense next year? :laugh:

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
I've been most impressed with his hockey IQ and deceptive quickness. He doesn't get his wheels churning as fast as some of the true speedsters in the league but he's a tremendous skater and covers a lot of ground with his strides. He's got a great shot but that's not even the best part of his game. His passing is his greatest asset.

big ape

Jan 28, 2011
Edmonton
Hall > Larsson, all day.

Oilers fans are in continual PR mode about Larsson, and he's a good player, but Hall is far more of a team centerpiece. Unfortunately, some of our forwards have underperformed and we've got a trash heap defense corps, along with a somewhat down year in goal by Schneider.

Well continual PR mode is a bit much. I think when the trade happened , there was a shock element that Edmonton lost the trade to a degree of extreme proportions. That was until we seen what Larsson was about. Not many knew he was as physical as he is.
Yeah no argument about team centerpiece, other than the fact that it isn't fair to compare a offensive player to defensive player if points are the determining factor. At any rate each team got what they lacked.

big ape

Jan 28, 2011
Edmonton
I've been most impressed with his hockey IQ and deceptive quickness. He doesn't get his wheels churning as fast as some of the true speedsters in the league but he's a tremendous skater and covers a lot of ground with his strides. He's got a great shot but that's not even the best part of his game. His passing is his greatest asset.

Yeah he is very good at finding the open man , agreed on his passing and offensive IQ. Defence not so much.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Well continual PR mode is a bit much. I think when the trade happened , there was a shock element that Edmonton lost the trade to a degree of extreme proportions. That was until we seen what Larsson was about. Not many knew he was as physical as he is.
Yeah no argument about team centerpiece, other than the fact that it isn't fair to compare a offensive player to defensive player if points are the determining factor. At any rate each team got what they lacked.

What surprises me about the trade is Edmonton's usage of Larsson.

I get that Larsson has been good, and I'm not surprised, but he's not being used a whole lot. Fourth among team defensemen in ice time. Also fourth in PK ice time, which really surprised me.

At some level, the less you use a player, the less valuable he becomes.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Sounds like Larsson babysits for the more aggressive and less defensive minded Klefbom.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...sly-well-for-edmonton-oilers-says-nhl-insider

As Stauffer suggests, Larsson has been playing his best hockey in recent weeks. He’s been OK moving the puck and strong on defence, especially considering the quality of competition he faces and the fact he plays with the less experienced Oscar Klefbom, who is strong on the attack but mediocre, at best, on defence. A lot of trouble has come out of Klefbom’s zone and it’s been up to Larsson to be the cleaner, a job he’s done well especially as the season has progressed.

big ape

Jan 28, 2011
Edmonton
What surprises me about the trade is Edmonton's usage of Larsson.

I get that Larsson has been good, and I'm not surprised, but he's not being used a whole lot. Fourth among team defensemen in ice time. Also fourth in PK ice time, which really surprised me.

At some level, the less you use a player, the less valuable he becomes.

You couldn't say that at the beginning of the year, he led in that department. Larsson has been playing with some nagging injuries, and ice time has been shortened. He usually leads the team in hits every night also , but those stats have decreased due to the injuries also. Those numbers have started o climb in the last 2 games. So he might be getting back to himself.

Merrills Marauders

Jul 20, 2011
New Jersey
You couldn't say that at the beginning of the year, he led in that department. Larsson has been playing with some nagging injuries, and ice time has been shortened. He usually leads the team in hits every night also , but those stats have decreased due to the injuries also. Those numbers have started o climb in the last 2 games. So he might be getting back to himself.

Or maybe not, because he's not playing tonight.

NJRockinRoller

May 14, 2014
I would like to see Hall named Captain this offseason. He is the player that is the centerpiece of the franchise and he needs to be placed in that role.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
I would like to see Hall named Captain this offseason. He is the player that is the centerpiece of the franchise and he needs to be placed in that role.

While I get that sentiment, it does not take into account the dynamics of the room. You don't strip a popular, respected veteran of the captaincy; if Hall has any character, sure he would decline in such a situation.

Same deal when people here complained about Sal. It's a decision made for the locker room first, not the fans.

big ape

Jan 28, 2011
Edmonton
While I get that sentiment, it does not take into account the dynamics of the room. You don't strip a popular, respected veteran of the captaincy; if Hall has any character, sure he would decline in such a situation.

Same deal when people here complained about Sal. It's a decision made for the locker room first, not the fans.

Hall would take it then n

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad