Taylor Hall - The most under appreciated player on HF

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Hall sure sucked today versus the Avs. Wow. Petrell did more with the puck offensively.

What?! :help:

Hall hasn't lived up to his draft pedigree. Is he overrated? No..

He just needs to mature and work on his decision making.

I would honestly rather have Eberle as the future captain.

Really? I think he has, if he didn't get injured his first two years I doubt people would be saying this as he would have back to back 30 + goal seasons.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
What?! :help:

Really? I think he has, if he didn't get injured his first two years I doubt people would be saying this as he would have back to back 30 + goal seasons.
The way Hall was scoring goals from November until his season ended, he probably could have hit 35 goals if he had an extra 15-20 games.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
He leads all Oilers with +4. He also is tied for the lead in scoring in his third year.

He is also ahead of both of the last two years #1 overalls and is two points behind Tavares who is a year older and is -2.

Right now the worst defensive Oilers are Hemsky, Yakupov and Whitney.

Simply put you dont seem to know wtf you are talking about.

thank you Liquor. bang on. after Dubbie, Hall is probably the Oil's MVP in the first 8 games. open your eyes, boys. that lines goes as he goes. he is the straw that stirs the drink. it's obvious. if you can't see it, i question your knowledge of hockey. you are probably a guy who thinks nifty stickhandlers are the best hockey players.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
thank you Liquor. bang on. after Dubbie, Hall is probably the Oil's MVP in the first 8 games. open your eyes, boys. that lines goes as he goes. he is the straw that stirs the drink. it's obvious. if you can't see it, i question your knowledge of hockey. you are probably a guy who thinks nifty stickhandlers are the best hockey players.

It's funny you say that because Hall has been trying his patented inside out and toe drag moves on defenceman all year and it's turned into counter strike turnovers going the other way too much this year.
He surely is the engine on that line with his speed but he's making god awful decisions with the puck when he should be shooting and crashing the net. He obviously thinks he's Eberle v2.0 or something.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
It's funny you say that because Hall has been trying his patented inside out and toe drag moves on defenceman all year and it's turned into counter strike turnovers going the other way too much this year.
He surely is the engine on that line with his speed but he's making god awful decisions with the puck when he should be shooting and crashing the net. He obviously thinks he's Eberle v2.0 or something.

I can actually agree with this. He has been a beast this season but has tried the T-drag one too many times. In interviews before the season he said he wanted to be a better playmaker. I understand that and support rounding out your game but disagree with moving away from your bread and butter. He is a soeedy winger with an amazing shot and should use that to open up room.

The toe drags and dangles should be secondary and should be used to switch it up on defenseman, but not as a go to move. Thankfully he hasnt tried it as much the past couple games

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I absolutely think Hall is underrated on these boards. He gets talked about like a "bad" 1st overall pick which I don't believe for a second. He is one of the most explosive young players in the NHL and I believe he will be a perennial 40 goal threat very soon (on pace for 36 last year).

I like Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins but I feel like they are being over-valued and Hall under-valued. When Hall was injured last year, Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins and the rest of the Oilers offence looked completely dead. Without Hall's speed and puck retrieval skills, I don't think Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins would look nearly as impressive.

So bottom line: Hall is the one that drives the Oilers offence and creates the most chances.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I'm still mad at him for missing on the penalty shot!

I think he's still heating up to be honest.. like a rocket ship on stand by.

He's either gonna take off or blow up(get hurt)

jmco

Jan 25, 2013
I'm still mad at him for missing on the penalty shot!

I think he's still heating up to be honest.. like a rocket ship on stand by.

He's either gonna take off or blow up(get hurt)

haha.. Perfect line.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Don't look now, but Hall now sits in the top 20 of nhl point leaders. Ahead of Thornton, Lacavelier, Parise, Gaborik, and many more proven stars.

Btw, Seguin doesn't crack the top 150.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Don't look now, but Hall now sits in the top 20 of nhl point leaders. Ahead of Thornton, Lacavelier, Parise, Gaborik, and many more proven stars.

maybe we can convince boston to trade sequin for Hall...what would we need to add?
J.Schultz?....would the bruins consider it?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
not meant to be....I honest to God think that bruins fans would expect that package for sequin:laugh:

no joke.:shakehead

Yep. Well, they don't need Schultz since they have Dougie "god" Hamilton, so you'd probably see a lot of them decline that as well. And isn't Hall better on the draw this season than the "centerman" Seguin?

Asher

Jun 23, 2007

Bad reputations take a while to overcome. Right now he's still known as the guy who plays too reckless and keeps taking big hits, is injury prone, and will have a shortened career because of it. (I mean on HF of course.)

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Hall is starting to really be beastly out there. Gotta love players that can power down the ice full speed and create chances by throwing a lot of rubber at the net. That creates rebounds and plenty of scoring chances.

I hope he keeps averaging 5+ shots per game going forward. The goals and points will come because of that. I'm not looking for a high finesse output with 18% accuracy... I just want shots from everywhere and you know that will create scoring chances for his teammates as well.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Bad reputations take a while to overcome. Right now he's still known as the guy who plays too reckless and keeps taking big hits, is injury prone, and will have a shortened career because of it. (I mean on HF of course.)

True. We, who have watched, know that he hasnt been decked once this year. Other than his speed, I would say he is no more reckless than most forwards. He's safened his game.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
I posted this last night....

I'm not going to go running to the main board with this but when is Hall going to start getting the credit he deserves? I've been a big supporter of Hall on the main board and have been sucked into more Hall/Seguin arguments then I'd like to admit but come on...

Last 82 games
Hall- 35 goals(0.427) and 75 points(0.915)
Seguin- 27 goals(0.329) and 63 points(0.768)

Last 60 games
Hall- 27 goals(0.450) and 58 points(0.967)
Seguin- 17 goals(0.283) and 43 points(0.717)

Last 40 games
Hall- 16 goals(0.400) and 38 points(0.950)
Seguin- 11 goals(0.275) and 30 points(0.750)

This Season
Hall: 14 games- 3 goals(0.215) and 15 points(1.071)
Seguin: 12 games- 2 goals(0.167) and 7 points(0.583)

To break down this season's stats further.

Hall
Total Goals: 3
ES Goals: 3
PP Goals: 0
EN Goals: 0
-
Total Assists: 12
Primary Assists: 8
Secondary Assists: 4
-
Hits: 5
Blocked Shots: 7
Giveaways: 10
Takeaways: 9

Seguin
Total Goals: 2
ES Goals: 1
PP Goals: 1
EN Goals: 1
-
Total Assists: 5
Primary Assists: 1
Secondary Assists: 4
-
Hits: 9
Blocked Shots: 1
Giveaways: 10
Takeaways: 6

When does this generic idea of higher hockey IQ, better overall play(debatable) and being a center(doesn't play center) get over shadowed by actual results? I mean, Seguin has 7 points this season and 5 of them are either secondary assists or an empty net goal.

Hall is getting the better results and has been much more consistent. Also, do you think it's a coincidence that Seguin's goal totals significantly drop off when comparing the last 82 games to the last 60 games? No. Taking out those 22 games eliminates Seguin's 10 goals in 9 games hot streak. Something that was completely out of the norm, never even remotely close to being duplicated and greatly inflates his stats.

On the average night you can expect Hall to play like a 35 goal/75 point player while Seguin is more of a 25 goal/60 point player.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I love his fire and his passion. This kid brings it more often than anyone else, and I don't think that will ever really change (although, Klefbom is the same way, so hopefully they even can push each other higher). He's pretty much a complete player now (or on the cusp of it), and it's great to see.

fysloc

Dec 23, 2011
I think the argument has always been hall gets more icetime then seguin, and seguin is down further in the depth chart and doesnt get as many opportunities as hall, though i dont think that was the case anymore last season.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
I think the argument has always been hall gets more icetime then seguin, and seguin is down further in the depth chart and doesnt get as many opportunities as hall, though i dont think that was the case anymore last season.
Last season Hall averaged about a shift or two more a game. It was really nothing. Also, if Hall was in Boston he would be on their 1st line.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
If people still think Seguin is ahead, then what's gonna happen if they're actually even?

Hall might not be a prototypical smart hockey player, but he's damn good at what he does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad