Proposal: Tavares to the Sabres (Summer)

drede

Jul 13, 2023
Assuming Leafs get bounced in the first round and Tavares would waive to Buffalo. Seem to recall he has some interest in the Sabres when he was a UFA. He only has one year left and could really add to PP and faceoffs. He game overall has really dropped and the Leafs have him down to the 3rd line but he definitely still has vet value.
Obvious benefit to the Leafs clearing 11 million cap space and recouping desperately needed draft picks.

Tavares

for

2024 - 2nd
2025 - 3rd (2nd) if he resigns
Can't do conditions on resigning with pics anymore sadly

Matthew Knies, 1st 2024, Niemela, and Jammyboy for an AHLer and a 4th.

Expensive 11m cap dump.
Lol Leafs wouldn't do that just wait his deal out and he will mostlikey be resigned for cheap

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Love the backhanded thread that assumes we bounce in the first round. JT wouldn't waive so this is built on some pretty trolling assumptions. Please go away.

Reactions: Tarmore

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
please no. this would be kozlov gilmour leino bad.

*edit* gm & owner are dumb enough to do it

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Don't think many leaf fans would say no to that lol. But doubt he ever moves/waives. Hes from here, got named the captain when he shouldnt have, has had some kids recently etc. He will likely just ride out next year then re-sign a cheaper deal afterwards.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Exactly.
No offense to Tavares, but Buffalo doesn't need that type of player in a veteran leadership role. They have scoring talent all over the place, the NHL club, their pipeline. They were a top 3 scoring team last season, the coach openly stated prior to this seasons start scoring wasnt an issue, defensive play across the roster was. Since Ja. 1st, guess which team is #1 in fewest goals per game allowed? The Buffalo Sabres.

What they need is the complimentary veteran leadership pieces that match with their talent, not more talent that doesn't bring those additional tangibles. They sacrificed their run and gun style for 2 reasons. 1st, to allow the goalies to mature at the NHL level, anyone paying attention can see UPL has arrived, with Levi getting a taste then sent to Rochester to bolster that maturation in net philosophy, and 2nd to get the team playing a 200 ft game, and as most teams that play the Sabres since Jan. 1st are finding out, it's much harder to get prime scoring chances against the Sabres these days.

This proves Granato's philosophy is working, even if it sacrifices 1 more season of playoff appearance. Adams and Granato stated their goals very clearly early on 3 seasons ago, to set up the Sabres for longterm success. Most Sabres fans have had a hard time digesting that after all they've been through with the failed first rebuild attempt and the merry-go-round of 1st time GM's and Coaching staffs, but they are stacked up and down the organization with talent, this management and coaching staffs goals are working. It's why moving Middlestadt was easy to do without hindering those goals. They are such a young team, and they are starting to figure it out. They will be harder and harder to play against as time moves forward.

Tavares is a great player, but not at all what the Sabres need.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
JT's cap hit is 11m but his actually salary will be less than a 1m after his bonus is paid this summer .

the Leafs need to sit him down after the season and explain he won't be offered an extension so either he waives or he'll finish his career as a depth winger without pp time

a team like the Yotes would love to have a 11m cap hit and less than 1m salary since they have a large number of ltir contracts coming off the books

hey maybe we can sell the idiot the Hawks want him to mentor Bedard

i'll also add i don't want expect anything in return , future considerations is more than enough

Last edited:
Reactions: Crow

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Assuming Leafs get bounced in the first round and Tavares would waive to Buffalo. Seem to recall he has some interest in the Sabres when he was a UFA. He only has one year left and could really add to PP and faceoffs. He game overall has really dropped and the Leafs have him down to the 3rd line but he definitely still has vet value.
Obvious benefit to the Leafs clearing 11 million cap space and recouping desperately needed draft picks.

Tavares

for

2024 - 2nd

I am completely serious when I say we gotta suspend people from making trade proposals after particularly egregious offers. Ridiculous.

Last edited:

Mar 26, 2010
Tavares is not waiving for Buffalo.

No team is trading for him $11M cap hit. Even know it is only 1 season.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

Tavares

for

2024 - 2nd
You’re a Buffalo fan proposing this?

I highly doubt there is a single TML fan that believes their captain has positive value.

There is a 0.000000% chance any NHL team trades for Taveras at his full AAV and sends only picks or prospects the other way. He’s not even worth a 7th round pick 72 years from today at that AAV.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
He wouldn’t waive to go to Buffalo. There’s only one year left on his deal then he will sign at a hometown discount with a handshake agreement for a front office job after he retires. If we trade him we would have to find a replacement 2nd line Center which isn’t easy to do.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023

Tavares

for

2024 - 2nd

The Sabres do exactly what Toronto does. Nice.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
He wouldn’t waive to go to Buffalo. There’s only one year left on his deal then he will sign at a hometown discount with a handshake agreement for a front office job after he retires. If we trade him we would have to find a replacement 2nd line Center which isn’t easy to do.
-he's not the 2nd line center

-doubt the team wants him back considering they kicked off the first pp and off the 2nd line , he van keep up now never mind by the end of his deal next year

-why would we give the dim witted idiot a job after retirement ? he's done nothing for the team and we don't owe him a damn thing

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He probably has a jersey from the good athlete in his family. That’s close enough I think.

I'm sure there are some pics of him celebrating his uncle's championship wins too. But given his cost and how his play has eroded, not particularly interested from a Sabre POV. If he gets to ride off into the sunset on another, more affordable deal that allows the Leafs to shuffle cap into other areas of need and keeps him with his favorite team, good on him.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I know people are going to roll their eyes when I say this, but Buffalo has been playing well when I've seen them play for the last little while. And that includes playing against my Panthers. Could they maintain this and turn the corner next year? They are still very young.
Tavares contract is just too problematic though IMO. Unless retention. Even then, I don't know. I don't know if that's the piece they need.

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
He's not going anywhere while under contract for reasons already mentioned. It's up to the coaching staff to find the best spot for him at this declining stage of his career. I've been saying for a while that he'd be better suited to move the wing on the top line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad