Speculation: Tavares Tells Toronto, "I'm YOUR Huckleberry Now". Fans leaguewide mourn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Need to send JT videos of Thomas and Kyrou.

No offense but after years and years of being sold on the future in New York I’d bet Tavares is much more interested in Tarasenko, Schwartz, and Pietrangelo being here than two kids who haven’t played any meaningful time in the NHL. Having solid prospects is nice but if JT leaves the Island it’ll be to win sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Alklha

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
First, I would try to sell JT on the core, and current younger supporting cast, like many have said.

He's never had 2 top 20 defensemen on his team. He's never played with a truly elite scorer like Tarasenko. You could argue he's played with guys like Schwartz and Schenn on the Islanders, but most of the time, those guys have been on his line. Contrary to what some believe, I think the drafting of recent years has shown that Doug Armstrong wants this team to get younger, faster, and more skilled up front. He has a vision of a quicker, more swarming style of hockey rather than big body checking.

Second, I'd sell him on the lifestyle here in St. Louis. How often players stay after retiring. The cheaper tax rates. The easier media situation. A better family atmosphere at the rink, etc.

Third, I'd circle back to him being the missing link between the Blues being a playoff contender and a Stanley Cup contender. He pushes them into true Cup competitor territory. I'd give him a projected lineup next season, after a few off-season moves have been completed.

Fabbri Tavares Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn Kyrou
Steen Thomas Thompson
Barbashev, Brodziak Soshnikov
EXT: Sundqvist, Jaskin

Edmundson, Pietrangelo
Dunn, Parayko
Bouwmeester, Schmaltz
Bortuzzo

Husso
Allen/Hutton/FA

I'm not saying he'd pick the Blues, but it would be hard to argue with a group like that. It's faster, more skilled, and has a decent mix of rookies, veterans, and your core.

EDIT: I forgot about Barbashev. Thorburn can be waived or let go for all I care.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
First, I would try to sell JT on the core, and current younger supporting cast, like many have said.

He's never had 2 top 20 defensemen on his team. He's never played with a truly elite scorer like Tarasenko. You could argue he's played with guys like Schwartz and Schenn on the Islanders, but most of the time, those guys have been on his line. Contrary to what some believe, I think the drafting of recent years has shown that Doug Armstrong wants this team to get younger, faster, and more skilled up front. He has a vision of a quicker, more swarming style of hockey rather than big body checking.

Second, I'd sell him on the lifestyle here in St. Louis. How often players stay after retiring. The cheaper tax rates. The easier media situation. A better family atmosphere at the rink, etc.

Third, I'd circle back to him being the missing link between the Blues being a playoff contender and a Stanley Cup contender. He pushes them into true Cup competitor territory. I'd give him a projected lineup next season, after a few off-season moves have been completed.

Fabbri Tavares Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn Kyrou
Steen Thomas Thompson

Edmundson, Pietrangelo
Dunn, Parayko
Bouwmeester, Schmaltz
Bortuzzo

Husso
Allen/Hutton/FA

I'm not saying he'd pick the Blues, but it would be hard to argue with a group like that. It's faster, more skilled, and has a decent mix of rookies, veterans, and your core.

EDIT: I forgot about Barbashev. Thorburn can be waived or let go for all I care.

That's a lineup that could do some damage for sure.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

Fabbri Tavares Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn Kyrou
Steen Thomas Thompson

Edmundson, Pietrangelo
Dunn, Parayko
Bouwmeester, Schmaltz
Bortuzzo

Husso
Allen/Hutton/FA

Foley is going to open some eyes in camp. Don’t discount him

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
If Tavares is going to UFA, then he either knows exactly where he is going or he has a shortlist. I doubt a bad year is knocking a team off that shortlist, unless it is a NYR type situation.

No offense but after years and years of being sold on the future in New York I’d bet Tavares is much more interested in Tarasenko, Schwartz, and Pietrangelo being here than two kids who haven’t played any meaningful time in the NHL. Having solid prospects is nice but if JT leaves the Island it’ll be to win sooner rather than later.
Agreed that winning now is going to be the main selling point.

Our picks an prospects is still a big selling point. Highlight that with Tavares we have 5 top-6 players, and unknowns with good upside in Fabbri, Kyrou and Thomas. Then we have plenty of currency to add get another forward. Our top-4 is pretty set going forward, so there is no worried at that end either.

The biggest issue is goaltending, and that might be a huge factor given what he's seen with the Islanders.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

I agree, but I think this argument is a strength for the Blues. We have a better prospect pool than a lot of other teams who will be making bids, but we aren't totally reliant on the prospects to be saviors. The pitch to Tavares is that these young guys will simply be asked to contribute rather than save the team throughout the first half of his deal. You sell Tavares on the idea that over the next 3-4 years, we would be asking prospects to be supplemental pieces to an offensive core of Tavares, Schenn, Schwartz, and Tarasenko. Thomas is a great prospect, but he won't be asked to contribute as a top 6 C until 20/21 at the earliest (Assuming the Blues let Schenn walk as a UFA, which seems very unlikely). Kyrou/Kostin won't be asked to be a #1 RW until 2023 at the earliest. Schwartz is your #1 LW until at least 2021 and (barring a trade) you have another very good middle 6 LW in Steen.

This team's issue is depth and we're asking prospects to fill those roles over the first half of his contract. From a cap perspective, this team is well positioned to take on Tavares without losing top end talent and we have the prospects to nicely fill in the middle-6 with quality contributors. That's the sale's pitch when discussing our prospects with Tavares.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Foley is going to open some eyes in camp. Don’t discount him

Wasn't trying to discount him. I just ran out of room to slot people honestly. I could see Brodziak not resigned, Sundqvist or Barbashev being the 4th line center slot. If you had a 4th line of Foley, Barbashev, and Soshnikov, that would be fun to watch.

Reactions: Mike Liut

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I agree, but I think this argument is a strength for the Blues. We have a better prospect pool than a lot of other teams who will be making bids, but we aren't totally reliant on the prospects to be saviors. The pitch to Tavares is that these young guys will simply be asked to contribute rather than save the team throughout the first half of his deal. You sell Tavares on the idea that over the next 3-4 years, we would be asking prospects to be supplemental pieces to an offensive core of Tavares, Schenn, Schwartz, and Tarasenko. Thomas is a great prospect, but he won't be asked to contribute as a top 6 C until 20/21 at the earliest (Assuming the Blues let Schenn walk as a UFA, which seems very unlikely). Kyrou/Kostin won't be asked to be a #1 RW until 2023 at the earliest. Schwartz is your #1 LW until at least 2021 and (barring a trade) you have another very good middle 6 LW in Steen.

This team's issue is depth and we're asking prospects to fill those roles over the first half of his contract. From a cap perspective, this team is well positioned to take on Tavares without losing top end talent and we have the prospects to nicely fill in the middle-6 with quality contributors. That's the sale's pitch when discussing our prospects with Tavares.

I agree with that. Like I said, it certainly doesn’t hurt to have be able to point at Kyrou and Thomas and say “we’ve got these two guys who we’re really high on and we think they can help us in the very near future.” I just don’t think Thomas and Kyrou (or any prospect the Blues have) are going to be a big draw to Tavares in the grand scheme of things. It’s a nice thing to have and it can help sell the future as well as the present. But, if I were Tavares I’d be tired of hearing about how great prospects are going to be after he’s gone through Ho-Sang, MDC, Strome, Reinhart, etc.

Again, this is not to say that having picks and prospects is somehow a negative.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I agree with that. Like I said, it certainly doesn’t hurt to have be able to point at Kyrou and Thomas and say “we’ve got these two guys who we’re really high on and we think they can help us in the very near future.” I just don’t think Thomas and Kyrou (or any prospect the Blues have) are going to be a big draw to Tavares in the grand scheme of things. It’s a nice thing to have and it can help sell the future as well as the present. But, if I were Tavares I’d be tired of hearing about how great prospects are going to be after he’s gone through Ho-Sang, MDC, Strome, Reinhart, etc.

Again, this is not to say that having picks and prospects is somehow a negative.

Maybe I'm giving Tavares too much credit, but I think he will want a presentation of the prospects for every team he fields offers from. He's signing a 7 year deal and should absolutely be looking beyond year 2. Immediate ability to compete is certainly important, but a 27 year old should care just as much about years 3+ when making that kind of commitment. That is why I think the Blues are in good position to make a competitive offer. We have a good mix of being immediately competitive while being able to sustain that window for the majority of a contract that would handcuff many franchises. No team can have long term success with a $12 mil UFA signing unless the prospect pool is strong.

I think our 5 year plan will be more complete and less risk averse than any other serious bidder will be able to present. The prospects are a big part of that and offer us a huge leg up on teams like San Jose.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
God if we could add JT, A healthy fabbri, kyrou and Robert Thomas to this team we could be soooo gooood. (Move berg and soby at the draft)

Fabbri-JT-Kyrou
Schwartz-Schenn-Senko
Steen-Thomas-sosh/Tage
Upshall-Brodziak-Jaskin

And that’s w/o any signings. If we got Tavares around 11 per. We’d have a ton of cap to go after Even a JVR or make a trade for a hoffman/pacc etc.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
God if we could add JT, A healthy fabbri, kyrou and Robert Thomas to this team we could be soooo gooood. (Move berg and soby at the draft)

Fabbri-JT-Kyrou
Schwartz-Schenn-Senko
Steen-Thomas-sosh/Tage
Upshall-Brodziak-Jaskin

And that’s w/o any signings. If we got Tavares around 11 per. We’d have a ton of cap to go after Even a JVR or make a trade for a hoffman/pacc etc.

You just pissed off Kostin

Bluenatic

Fresh start
Aug 13, 2010
STL
I think Stillman's enthusiasm could also go a long way in the process. Obviously I do not know the man personally but he seems very genuine, and is in this for more than trying to make a buck. That's important to certain types of people. Maybe Tavares fits into that group.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Maybe I'm giving Tavares too much credit, but I think he will want a presentation of the prospects for every team he fields offers from. He's signing a 7 year deal and should absolutely be looking beyond year 2. Immediate ability to compete is certainly important, but a 27 year old should care just as much about years 3+ when making that kind of commitment. That is why I think the Blues are in good position to make a competitive offer. We have a good mix of being immediately competitive while being able to sustain that window for the majority of a contract that would handcuff many franchises. No team can have long term success with a $12 mil UFA signing unless the prospect pool is strong.

I think our 5 year plan will be more complete and less risk averse than any other serious bidder will be able to present. The prospects are a big part of that and offer us a huge leg up on teams like San Jose.

Guys are also looking at how the franchise will be beneficial for their lives off the field. Think of it as a guy being recruited for college: He looks at the team and likes the ability to play for them, but he is also looking at the campus amenities, majors, class sizes, etc.

The NHL version is, yes you want to play for a cup and be able to win. But things like fitness facility, locker rooms, off ice training, practice facility, is the city good for me and my family (or future family), etc.

That's why it's important that the Blues already updated the lower level and locker rooms at Scottrade and is imperative they build that new practice facility, those kinds of things are also extremely attractive to FAs.

Reactions: stl76

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think Stillman's enthusiasm could also go a long way in the process. Obviously I do not know the man personally but he seems very genuine, and is in this for more than trying to make a buck. That's important to certain types of people. Maybe Tavares fits into that group.
I could see Stillman's passion for the game itself adding some brownie points to the equation

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007

This is an excellent point in our favor. Stillman is a huge fan of the team as well as being its owner which means a genuine pitch from him could be a factor for JT.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Fabbri Tavares Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn Kyrou
Steen Thomas Thompson

Edmundson, Pietrangelo
Dunn, Parayko
Bouwmeester, Schmaltz
Bortuzzo

Husso
Allen/Hutton/FA

I almost agree. Mikkola could be easily next season 3rd line pair. Stay-at-home D who has skill offensively, he would work well with Schmaltz. I bet summer camp will be interesting for us where forward and dmen prospects are currently.

Haven't we forgot Musil, Blais and what about Poganski?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I almost agree. Mikkola could be easily next season 3rd line pair. Stay-at-home D who has skill offensively, he would work well with Schmaltz. I bet summer camp will be interesting for us where forward and dmen prospects are currently.

Haven't we forgot Musil, Blais and what about Poganski?
Won't happen without a trade. Edmundson, Dunn and Boumeester will be the LD

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Steve Kouleas still pumping John Tavares to STL in the offseason:laugh:

It's not just us Blues fans living in this hopeful fantasy land

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Steve Kouleas still pumping John Tavares to STL in the offseason:laugh:

Well Kools is a self admitted Blues fans, so I’m not surprised. I knew when he said Kelly Chase was coming on today he was going pump up the JT hype with him.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If Mikkola is showing he's better then Jbo I don't see why Mikkola won't get icetime.
He's AHL eligible and is a rookie playing meaningful time on NA ice. This isnt a knock against him but unless a trade is waiting for JBO, I dont see Mikkola taking his spot out of camp. I havn't watched him at all but given what I did see of him in preseason and how well he played in camp, I can see him jumping Walman though as first LHD call up

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Well Kools is a self admitted Blues fans, so I’m not surprised. I knew when he said Kelly Chase was coming on today he was going pump up the JT hype with him.
Yea he is, but he is more objective then your average blues fan. This isnt just isolated to him though. Blues are accepted as a logical landing spot of JT on NHL network

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Yea he is, but he is more objective then your average blues fan. This isnt just isolated to him though. Blues are accepted as a logical landing spot of JT on NHL network

That is true. I love the NHL Network radio. To me it offers the best hockey talk on any platform. I call in religiously to Under Review. So if you hear “Craig from Birmingham” that’s me. It use to be Craig from Columbus but Mick kept thinking I was a Blue Jackets fan.

Reactions: Dbrownss
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad