Proposal: Tavares out as Captain. Captain Morgan to lead the team!

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Of course. Can we automatically make the assumption that this team will win multiple rounds - if not more - essentially on the basis of its longest tenured player being upgraded from wearing an 'A' to the 'C' though? What does stripping a returning player of the captaincy truly accomplish?
I advocate stripping the C from Tavares as part of a package of broader changes, so its only a piece to the puzzle. I don't accept your frame of reference by reducing the argument to winning multiple rounds for making this one singular change. This team is full of mild mannered, emotionless, stoic and soft players. Tavares is the worst example of this. This team needs an emotional and spiritual leader at this point. Everyone knows Rielly is the heartbeat of the team, Muzzin before that, and Orielly was even being joked about as the new captain. The whole thing is a fraud. Tavares has also plummeted down your depth chart in terms of being your best player. The guy brings absolutely nothing of interest with fans and media. So here we have lifeless Johnny thats needs to be propped up by Marner, with the personality of a potato thats like your 8th best player sitting over in the corner bringing zero jam. He's not captain material and we cant say we weren't warned by Isles fans.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I stand by what I said a couple of nights ago.

Nylander-Nylander(A)-Nylander
Nylander-Nylander-Nylander

Rielly-Rielly(C)
Rielly-Rielly(A)
Rielly-Rielly

You know... We have the technology :naughty:

enough to know this dopey bastard likely just sat there staring out into space like he literally always does regardless of the situation

View attachment 708133

Those are nerves of steel. George S. Patton nerves.

• Haha
Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Give the C to Reilly, which should have been him from the start.
Resign ROR, Schenn and Acciari and give one of the As to ROR.
If JT ends up staying, give the other A to him.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Taking the C away is the start and maybe a shocking change for some. Tavares hasn’t led a team to anything. The Isles got better after he left. He’s scored one clutch goal and is pretty much a punching bag for anybody in a scrum.

This team continually has brought in other teams captains and veteran leaders. Maybe the odd guy but every year for the last 5 they’ve brought in guys. When something needs to happen it’s Rielly or Speeza you see or hear about doing something. Never 91.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
For me Rielly has always been the de facto captain despite not wearing the C. The team's problem isn't Tavares wearing the C, it's that we don't have enough Rielly types come the playoffs.
This is true. The actual C is for the most part symbolic. But Rielly deserves it. He should be able to tell his grandchildren some day how he was captain of the Leafs. Tavares was a big mistake. Although they could have given it to one of the petulant children, so it could have been worse.

Reactions: keonsbitterness

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Actually should be considered.

I wanted Matthews/RIelly to be captain but now it's obvious Rielly was always the #1 option. Not Matthews. Tavares has no leadership qualities other than having more experience.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I advocate stripping the C from Tavares as part of a package of broader changes, so its only a piece to the puzzle. I don't accept your frame of reference by reducing the argument to winning multiple rounds for making this one singular change. This team is full of mild mannered, emotionless, stoic and soft players. Tavares is the worst example of this. This team needs an emotional and spiritual leader at this point. Everyone knows Rielly is the heartbeat of the team, Muzzin before that, and Orielly was even being joked about as the new captain. The whole thing is a fraud. Tavares has also plummeted down your depth chart in terms of being your best player. The guy brings absolutely nothing of interest with fans and media. So here we have lifeless Johnny thats needs to be propped up by Marner, with the personality of a potato thats like your 8th best player sitting over in the corner bringing zero jam. He's not captain material and we cant say we weren't warned by Isles fans.
I only bring up the winning of multiple rounds because they've now won a round with Tavares as captain. We can certainly debate how much he is helping with that cause, but it seems clear that he isn't outright hindering the process either. "Best player" and best choice for captain also will not always be a matter of one and the same. Rielly can lead as he always has regardless of whether he lacks a letter, or a certain letter in particular. I just don't see a ton of positives associated with making this type of switch.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
I only bring up the winning of multiple rounds because they've now won a round with Tavares as captain. We can certainly debate how much he is helping with that cause, but it seems clear that he isn't outright hindering the process either. "Best player" and best choice for captain also will not always be a matter of one and the same. Rielly can lead as he always has regardless of whether he lacks a letter, or a certain letter in particular. I just don't see a ton of positives associated with making this type of switch.
He is neither the best player or the best choice. If you cant see the message that would be sent by removing the C from Tavares to a more deserving and inspiring person i don't know what to say. Im not a big proponent of just shrugging my shoulders and say well thats the way we have always done it so why change.

Reactions: Buds17

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
200w.gif

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
JT's temperament is not what this team needed for the C. 34, 16, 88 are already quiet, laid back guys, you bring in the most vanilla personality in the NHL to be your captain?

Can you imagine Tavares getting up and giving a rousing speech between periods to get his team going? NO f***ING CHANCE

Old man Spezza had to do it last year in Game 5 against Tampa. John would be a better Captain on a team with take no shit, big personalities among the core players already. Sundin was a simile captain but it didn’t matter if he was soft spoken because all the other players were either passionate themselves or they were veterans who didn’t need much guidance and had won before.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
John Tavares has been in the league for 14 seasons, the majority of those as captain of the Islanders and Maple Leafs. He's been out of the first round only two times in those 14 seasons, with his teams only managing to win one game in round two.

1640655754289.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad