Proposal: Tavares out as Captain. Captain Morgan to lead the team!

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
After another year of defeat, one can argue this one is different with the 1st round monkey off our back, but in many ways, I would say the team regressed overall.

This series was telling on a lot of fronts. There is an established template on how to contain Matthews and Marner and Florida used the same template, limiting their space and not letting them make any plays in the offensive zone with limiting their space. I am sick of having these guys come out and say they played well, had chances that didn't go in. It's getting to be a broken record.

John Tavares is just simply not consistent. His conditioning is a concern and I'm also questioning whether he continues as being the Captain of this team. I'm not privy to what goes behind the scenes but I can clearly see who shows leadership on the ice, and that's Morgan Rielly.

As one of the changes expected in the offseason, I think this would send a pretty clear message that we need a new voice to lead this team. The lesser pressure may actually help him focus on his game and conditioning. I also feel we're getting to the point where he will likely not be a C for much longer.

Thoughts on the leadership change in the offseason as one of the several moves that are to be made?

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
JT's temperament is not what this team needed for the C. 34, 16, 88 are already quiet, laid back guys, you bring in the most vanilla personality in the NHL to be your captain?

Can you imagine Tavares getting up and giving a rousing speech between periods to get his team going? NO f***ING CHANCE

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'm sure Rielly would make a fine captain and it's great to have a player that elevates his game at the most pivotal of moments. Not sure that the impact of the captaincy is enough of an issue to cause such a circus or uproar over though.

Reactions: EN4CER

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
For me Rielly has always been the de facto captain despite not wearing the C. The team's problem isn't Tavares wearing the C, it's that we don't have enough Rielly types come the playoffs.
I stand by what I said a couple of nights ago.

Nylander-Nylander(A)-Nylander
Nylander-Nylander-Nylander

Rielly-Rielly(C)
Rielly-Rielly(A)
Rielly-Rielly

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Tavares is actually a terrible captain. Like what does this robot bring other being a classy guy? ZERO emotion. This team needs an emotional leader who will drag em into the fight. He better get stripped of the C

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
After his contract is done Tavares better re-sign for league minimum until he retires. Ripped us the f*** off.

Rielly definitely should be the captain.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
I'm sure Rielly would make a fine captain and it's great to have a player that elevates his game at the most pivotal of moments. Not sure that the impact of the captaincy is enough of an issue to cause such a circus or uproar over though.
If you make decisions based of media and fan reaction instead of doing whats right you have no business running a team.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
No offense to O'Reilly but he really didn't do shit in this series. He was good against Tampa, but wasn't any different from the rest of the team against Florida.

Plus he's just another slow aging player. Is this the route we want to go? Not even close.

Reactions: CelticDruid

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Plus he's just another slow aging player. Is this the route we want to go? Not even close.
I really don't understand the interest in bringing him back. I didn't find him to be all that amazing and he's really slow. We straight up cannot have any more slowbies on this team and this dude is not even hungry to win anymore.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
That should be well down the list of potential cures for what's preventing this team from achieving a worthwhile goal.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
While I agree that JT doesn't seem to be the right choice, I don't think either Dubas or Keefe have any interest in taking the C away. I suspect that it has a lot to do with that being a tacit admission that giving him that contract and giving him the C were both bad mistakes. They seem to prefer doubling down by doing everything possible to help him look good, even if it is counterproductive to the team.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
If you make decisions based of media and fan reaction instead of doing whats right you have no business running a team.
Of course. Can we automatically make the assumption that this team will win multiple rounds - if not more - essentially on the basis of its longest tenured player being upgraded from wearing an 'A' to the 'C' though? What does stripping a returning player of the captaincy truly accomplish?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
JT's temperament is not what this team needed for the C. 34, 16, 88 are already quiet, laid back guys, you bring in the most vanilla personality in the NHL to be your captain?

Can you imagine Tavares getting up and giving a rousing speech between periods to get his team going? NO f***ING CHANCE

How often are you in the locker room?

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
How often are you in the locker room?
enough to know this dopey bastard likely just sat there staring out into space like he literally always does regardless of the situation

1683996945810.png

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
Tavares being on the team or being Captain are not reasons we lost… in fact, he is the reason the Leafs advanced to the 2nd round, a drought going back to a time when John was playing pee wee hockey.

He’s likely going to sign a team friendly deal and retire as Captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad