Speculation: Tavares or Carlson, why not both?

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Do the math Bob..........hint, you're wrong.
My quick math is 10 + 10 + 10 + 7.5 + 7 + 6.5 = 50 million. Those are the players the poster wanted signed.
Plus Rielly(5) Kadri(5) Gardiner (6) Andersen(5)(keeping the rest of the core intact)

Is 70 million for 10 players. Meaning you'd need to sign the rest of the team 12-13 players for less than 10 million.

Yeah no way in heck it works lol.

My math is great thanks.

Reactions: LDN

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Man, the Leafs sure would be stupid to do that though, wouldn't they?

Jesus, this thread is embarrassing. From the original post on down.

People around here put way too much stock into potential.

We really don't know if Nylander is a Bobby Ryan calliber player, or a Mark Schiefele calliber player. Only time will tell... but if a trade comes up that could make sense (IE: Nylander + for D. Hamilton +), then you betchya our management should look at it.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
How much capspace do we have next year with Carlsson and Tavares locked up.

Tavares = 10
Marleau = 6.25
Nylander = 6
Kadri = 4.5
Hyman = 2.25
Brown = 2.1
Matthews = 0.9
Marner = 0.9
Kapanen = 0.9
Johnsson = 0.9
Leivo = 0.9
Aaltonen = 0.9
Grundstrom = 0.9
TOTAL = 37.4

Carlson = 8
Rielly = 5
Zaitsev = 4.5
Gardiner = 4.05
Hainsey = 3
Dermott = 0.9
Borgman = 0.9
Carrick = 0.9
TOTAL = 27.25

Anderson = 5
McElhinney = 0.8
TOTAL = 5.8

Kessel = 1.2

GRAND TOTAL = $71,650,000
ESTIMATED CAP = $82,000,000
2018-19 CAP SPACE = $10,350,000

Answer = enough to cover $3,700,000 in potential performance bonuses.

And that's if we don't trade Gardiner, Zaitsev, Hainsey or Martin before the deadline.

Reactions: phillipmike

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

We really don't know if Nylander is a Bobby Ryan calliber player, or a Mark Schiefele calliber player. Only time will tell... but if a trade comes up that could make sense (IE: Nylander + for D. Hamilton +), then you betchya our management should look at it.

We JUST stopped doing that stupid Leaf thing of trading away all our 1st rounders and young prospects for vets, and we JUST started getting good again, and you want to throw it all away and trade away up-and-coming stars for OTHER teams stars.

Sorry, but NO. It's a dumb cycle and we did that for many years and we always sucked. Time to keep our own homegrown talent and build them up and let them do their thing for us.

Thank Christ you're not our GM.

And we're not getting Tavares and Carlson. LOL. Silly pipe dreams are for kids.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Tavares = 10
Marleau = 6.25
Nylander = 6
Kadri = 4.5
Hyman = 2.25
Brown = 2.1
Matthews = 0.9
Marner = 0.9
Kapanen = 0.9
Johnsson = 0.9
Leivo = 0.9
Aaltonen = 0.9
Grundstrom = 0.9
TOTAL = 37.4

Carlson = 8
Rielly = 5
Zaitsev = 4.5
Gardiner = 4.05
Hainsey = 3
Dermott = 0.9
Borgman = 0.9
Carrick = 0.9
TOTAL = 27.25

Anderson = 5
McElhinney = 0.8
TOTAL = 5.8

Kessel = 1.2

GRAND TOTAL = $71,650,000
ESTIMATED CAP = $82,000,000
2018-19 CAP SPACE = $10,350,000

Answer = enough to cover $3,700,000 in potential performance bonuses.

And that's if we don't trade Gardiner, Zaitsev, Hainsey or Martin before the deadline.

You forgot the 2.55 carrying over from this season...

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
I would love to just land one of Tavares, Carlson, Doughty. If I had to pick two I think I would go the D route though. Just imagine.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
My quick math is 10 + 10 + 10 + 7.5 + 7 + 6.5 = 50 million. Those are the players the poster wanted signed.
Plus Rielly(5) Kadri(5) Gardiner (6) Andersen(5)(keeping the rest of the core intact)

Is 70 million for 10 players. Meaning you'd need to sign the rest of the team 12-13 players for less than 10 million.

My math is great thanks.

My apologies....I didn't notice that he accidentally said Tavaras, Doughty & Carlson.

I meant any 2 of the 3 would fit....not all 3.

But I'd also assume Gardiner would be traded/walk if we picked up Doughty or Carlson.

------------

With that said, it is possible (not likely) to get a little crazy with the cap & fit all 3 in...

leafs.JPG

Forwards | Traded = Brown, Martin, Leivo.
Defense | Traded = Gardiner, Zaitsev, Hainsey, Carrick.

The extra $2.35 million is for the press box guys.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Even one of the two would be a good score. The Leafs are improving presently without either player and will continue to do so.
The Cap structure makes it difficult to be perennial contenders, they will have to trust in and develop the players they have and add the best roll players they can find.
I think both will be asking for too much cash and will likely get it from one of the more desperate teams (half the league) but ,sure Carlson or Tavares would look great in a Leaf sweater!

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
If they sign Tavares they’ll be able to move Nylander
If they sign Carlson they’ll be able to move Gardiner

This is my line of thinking too. Sign free wallets UFAs and trade roster players due raises for futures. The worst thing we ever did was to give assets and $$$ for Kessel. One or the other when you are the Leafs, not both.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
My apologies....I didn't notice that he accidentally said Tavaras, Doughty & Carlson.

But I'd also assume Gardiner would be traded/walk if we picked up Doughty or Carlson.

------------

With that said, it is possible (not likely) to get a little crazy with the cap & fit all 3 in...

View attachment 114697

This isn’t far off, maybe even 6.5 for Marner, 7.25 for Carlson, 9.5 for Tavares. If you take out Carlson and Zaitsev can return to giving you 2nd pairing play then you have some real breathing room.

Reactions: drewjenks

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Trading these young guys before they even enter their primes is probably the worst thing management could do. Certainly would fit in well with the Leafs tradition of dumping young talent, though I hope current management group has wised up to this.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
This is my line of thinking too. Sign free wallets UFAs and trade roster players due raises for futures. The worst thing we ever did was to give assets and $$$ for Kessel. One or the other when you are the Leafs, not both.

So your plan is to trade the young talent we've drafted because we're about to give then RFA contracts, so we can afford to throw huge money at much older UFA'S

Who needs a decade + of contention when you can contend for 4-5 years and then fall off a cliff?

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Ex

------------

View attachment 114697

Except that kills you the year after when you have to sign 9 guys for 20 million.

And the cap won't go up to 85 in a year and a half.

I mean it's nice to dream, but it's not realistic at all :)

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Trading these young guys before they even enter their primes is probably the worst thing management could do. Certainly would fit in well with the Leafs tradition of dumping young talent, though I hope current management group has wised up to this.

I disagree if the right package comes along. I'm not suggesting that we trade Nylander for the sake of it... but we're not going to acquire a good quality D man without giving up good assets.

There are plenty of cases where trading young assets worked well for a team.
1) TBL got Sergachev for Drouin
2) NAS got Johansson for Jones (good for both teams)
3) We g0t JVR for Schenn\
4) NJD got Hall for Larsson
etc

LDN

Sep 29, 2017

My math is great thanks.

Reactions: my name is Bob

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

You're trolling right? lol

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Probably tough for most teams to pull off if both players end up receiving the maximum term, which I imagine will be the case. We might need to address both positions, but I don't know if we'll be aiming this high. Maybe for one or the other; both seems less likely.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad