Proposal: Tavares and the Hawks make sense

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Tavares won't waive, but I could see the Hawks being interested in adding 1 year of high cap hit Tavares, as long as they don't have to give up anything. Perhaps Athanasiou (IF Chicago wants to) so that they're not adding over 10 million in cap all at once. Or a Blackhawks prospect that's outside of their top 15 prospects.

Tavares for Athanasiou
or
Tavares for... Roos? Stauber? IDK

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Tavares won't waive, but I could see the Hawks being interested in adding 1 year of high cap hit Tavares, as long as they don't have to give up anything. Perhaps Athanasiou (IF Chicago wants to) so that they're not adding over 10 million in cap all at once. Or a Blackhawks prospect that's outside of their top 15 prospects.

Tavares for Athanasiou
or
Tavares for... Roos? Stauber? IDK
I can see the Hawks offering to take him off TO's hands for a sweetener. But the Leafs have no 2nd round picks for like a decade...

JT plays out his contract with Toronto.

Reactions: Fatass

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
On July 2nd, Tavares has 1 season of term and is owed only league minimum salary. The Hawks are desperate for good pros, being willing to overpay guys like Foligno and Perry in order to bring in certain habits to a rebuilding club.

Tavares is not worth 11M but is still a top 6 center and would give them likely 50-70 points, being elite on draws and strong defensively. Gives them a guy who unquestionably works his ass off on and off the ice even if his skills have diminished.

I think there is a fit here even if the Leafs retain a few million to make it work, it might make sense for both clubs just to give the Leafs flexibility and the Hawks it fills a need for them as well.

I think there is a strong fit here even if he comes over with a 7-8M cap hit for 1 season, it gives the Leafs change and cap space to add to the team. The question if the Leafs ask him to waive remains. And of course the return is likely not too much, but I think they will get something in this scenario.
There’s the obvious John Tavares issue here. He wants no part of playing on a team with no chance at much of anything for quite awhile. People want to talk about Seattle, Detroit, Washington or Nashville that’s one thing, and likely still needs some arm twisting. Chicago would be taken as an insult to his NMC.

This is the #1 reason a player demands a NMC. To protect himself against this ever happening . Having a chance to play and mentor Bedard, isn’t high on his list at this stage of his career.

JT is still chasing history and his own legacy.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I'm sure Hawks would take him even just to trade him at deadline for assets again and having a vet play with Bedard wouldn't hurt. Hard part is why would JT waive for Hawks knowing he'd be being dealt again at deadline?

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I'm enjoying Leafs fans doing their greasy used car salesmen impressions to dump the players everyone told them were overpaid and were costing them the depth they needed to win when it matters. It takes a big man to admit they were wrong and the rest of the hockey world was right.

In this case I'll direct Leafs fans to what they were saying to good veteran players when Matthews was 20. "Sorry, this player doesn't fit the team's window".

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Leafs need to be firm on not bringing Tavares back. Tell him, over the summer, that they are going to give the C to Matthews or Nylander and that they just don't see a way to bring him back, because of the long-term implications of even a mid-level salary contract on the future of the team and that they are simply moving away from the way things currently are.

They have to convince Tavares to move on. Either by saying that he will only play every other day and never on back to back nights. Or whatever you need to do, to appeal to him to rip the bandaid off.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He's not waiving
DhCQhu-UcAEBCZI.jpg:large
Never trust someone who thought A Phantom Menace was cool.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I don’t think Tavares is the guy if you want to bring in a player to teach the young guys “habits”. He’d never waive to go to CHI anyway. Leafs are going to see this contract through. Leafs made their bed, and Pajama Boy did too of course.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I'm enjoying Leafs fans doing their greasy used car salesmen impressions to dump the players everyone told them were overpaid and were costing them the depth they needed to win when it matters. It takes a big man to admit they were wrong and the rest of the hockey world was right.

In this case I'll direct Leafs fans to what they were saying to good veteran players when Matthews was 20. "Sorry, this player doesn't fit the team's window".

Is this comment trying to say the Leafs should have traded 20 year old Matthews for veteren players?

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Tavares is a Leaf for life + he won't lift his nmc to go to a rebuilding team who is also the shadiest team ever

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
On July 2nd, Tavares has 1 season of term and is owed only league minimum salary. The Hawks are desperate for good pros, being willing to overpay guys like Foligno and Perry in order to bring in certain habits to a rebuilding club.

Tavares is not worth 11M but is still a top 6 center and would give them likely 50-70 points, being elite on draws and strong defensively. Gives them a guy who unquestionably works his ass off on and off the ice even if his skills have diminished.

I think there is a fit here even if the Leafs retain a few million to make it work, it might make sense for both clubs just to give the Leafs flexibility and the Hawks it fills a need for them as well.

I think there is a strong fit here even if he comes over with a 7-8M cap hit for 1 season, it gives the Leafs change and cap space to add to the team. The question if the Leafs ask him to waive remains. And of course the return is likely not too much, but I think they will get something in this scenario.
No thanks lol

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
If you want a role model for Bedard it is definitely not some pajama boy, awardless, “leader” that could never get his team over the hump.

Islanders have had equal to greater success without him and he’s changed nothing for the Leafs.

Reactions: PWJunior

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I'd say the odds of him waiving to go to Chicago would be pretty slim. I mean if he would its a boost for both teams ( if Toronto spends that money well), I just find it hard to believe he is going to be willing to move off of a playoff team and away from his home city.
He might. I might be just for a season and besides Chicago isn't exactly far away these days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad